Tannehill, Gase & Tannenbaum: Epic Failures | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill, Gase & Tannenbaum: Epic Failures

Hello Finheaven posters, I'm ChadRico, I'm new to Finheaven, I come from another Dolphins message board Fieldchatter.com/Dolphins but our numbers have started to widdle away over the last couple of years, so I'm happy to be joining a more active board.

I have been a fan of the Dolphins since I was 4 years old, I am now 34 and have to say, I have never been so disappointed in the direction of this franchise. I can't remember entering a season with such little excitement and low expectations.

The day we drafted Tannehill, I was very disappointed, I thought he was a massive reach with the 1st round pick, but as any fan would do, I put my theories aside and rooted for Tannehill. Had you told me that day, Tannehill would be our QB for the next 7 years and have zero playoff wins, I would have probably become physically ill.

Watching Tannehill play last night against the Panthers brought back all the same feelings and questions I've had over the last 7 years. Why did we draft this guy? Why don't we bring in a competent QB to compete with him in the off season? Why can't anyone in the Dolphins organization see what so many of the fans can see? Tannehill can't read defenses. Tannehill has awful pocket presence. Tannehill can't deliver in the red zone. Tannehill can't call effective audibles. After 7 years Tannehill hasn't appeared to get any better either.

Many people have blamed last night's awful offensive performance on Gase and the play calling. Awful as it was, a QB with 7 years experience, given the ball inside the 10 yard line should score a Touchdown. On 3rd and goal from the 20, a good QB would not allow his team to run a draw play virtually guaranteeing the drives failure.

The recent "culture change" that Adam Gase and Tannenbaulm have overseen has left our roster in absolute shambles. From over paying McCain to signing aging players like Gore and Amendola our roster is old and has gaping holes at the linebacker positions as well as the defensive line. I understand Suh was being paid too much and letting him go was wise to help solidify the cap situation, but why did we turn around and pay Amendola and Wilson the same money we could have used to keep Landry? Landry was not bad for our "culture" I don't care what Gase says, the guy was our best player and by a large margin.

The VP if Football Operations Mike Tannenbaulm was the worst hire Stephen Ross could have made. I knew the day he was hired, it was basically ushering in the dark ages for the Dolphins franchise. Our team has no future until this rat is fired.

Well that's my 1st post, I hope you guys won't hate me for my opinion, my dream is to see this team win a super bowl before I die, I just don't think any of the guys mentioned in the title will be around here when it happens.

Tannehill wasn't the problem. The play calling and the drive killing penalties were the problem. The calls on 3rd and long were absurd. I get that Gase might not want to show his cards before the season. I get that they wanted to work on MG's blocking and maybe that is why he wasn't used in the passing game. Still, you have the chance for TDs you need to take the plays to get them. Gace took those opportunities away with the play calling as did the penalties. Not Tannehill.

I just really don't like people bashing on Gase for not dialing up a long bomb on 3rd and 26 in a preseason game. I don't know. I feel like some folks are being unreasonable with that. Don't ask 5'9" Jakeem Grant to go up on a jump ball against deep safeties in a game that means nothing

Tannehill wasn't the problem. The play calling and the drive killing penalties were the problem. The calls on 3rd and long were absurd. I get that Gase might not want to show his cards before the season. I get that they wanted to work on MG's blocking and maybe that is why he wasn't used in the passing game. Still, you have the chance for TDs you need to take the plays to get them. Gace took those opportunities away with the play calling as did the penalties. Not Tannehill.

Agree 100%
The play calling for that game looks like it was by Gases 9 year old son, Not fair for I happen to think that he would have done much better. That game plan was head scratching. Hey Gase heres another glue Penalties are bad, very bad... Need 5-6-7-8 yds for a 1st dn. how about a pass thats 7-8-9 yds ( now theres a mind boggling concept) and not the 2 yd run through 5 guys to get 4 yds... Man this is just so old to still be complaining about.
Ya we're just so good a scoring TD's in the Red Zone that we could afford to let those opportunities slide. RT looks like he's ready to start the season just needs to get his passing together, don't play him to much we all see he is ready and about to break out of his unknown potential that everyone see's in their crystal ball...
Gases way or the Highway may have a bit to many detours for my liking....but he's our Boy Wonder for god knows how many more years till finally reaching the competence level...

I just really don't like people bashing on Gase for not dialing up a long bomb on 3rd and 26 in a preseason game. I don't know. I feel like some folks are being unreasonable with that. Don't ask 5'9" Jakeem Grant to go up on a jump ball against deep safeties in a game that means nothing

Funny I'd think some of those moves you disapprove of are better off to experiment with in these games that don't have the same importance. You know if I could believe like possibly you do that the team can just turn on a switch and everything works perfectly I'd agree with you 100%.
Why then even have these games they just bring high odds for injury...But the real world doesn't work that way....yet,lol

But in my world the more you develop and learn whats needed by actually confronting these challenging situation which in itself maybe should be looked at as to why we are in those situation but understand that they are not sadly out of our to often normal difficult situations. Practice them as in a real game and statistically the better off a shot you will have to overcome and gain a level of success. It's not as if this team is there and doesn't need the experience...badly

And if in a Game that means something, Grant doesn't jump properly to achieve the completion (bad timing, poor hands) and misses the reception ...... Life as usual.....
Another interesting concept always play to WIN......Its a strong foundation to build ones character on...again JMO

It's an injury risk play. Jump ball into cover 2 is essentially what you are asking for when you want a long bomb on those 3rd and long plays. I'm sure Jakeem would love a chance to do it, but sometimes you gotta protect players from themselves.

I have many concerns about the team right now, but I just don't think preseason playcalling is one of them.

Tannehill isn’t an epic failure. He’s an average quarterback who the team would be hard pressed to improve upon, due to the scarcity of better available QBs. That’s why he sticks around.

The moderate perspective on Tannehill is the correct one.

It's an injury risk play. Jump ball into cover 2 is essentially what you are asking for when you want a long bomb on those 3rd and long plays. I'm sure Jakeem would love a chance to do it, but sometimes you gotta protect players from themselves.

I have many concerns about the team right now, but I just don't think preseason playcalling is one of them.

Guess we just have completely different ideas of how to achieve improvement. You see injury risk I see developing a player to be the best he can be in which experience plays a bigger roll IMO. You know if the players we believed needs to be developed and didn't need to improve their skills, or damn, even find them, I'd agree. Sitton, Stills, Wake, Quinn, I could see your point, they are there and we know it, but the rest need all the practice and experience they can get at this stage to develop into what they STILL need to develop into. Ya injury is pretty much a given factor in football even when just standing on the field. Concern for Jakeem, lol, Prove that you are good enough and consistent enough and your idea makes much more sense. Jakeem there ???? not in my book ....

Hey J take your concerns and look at one aspect that was talked about (play calling) and see that that is just maybe the fringe of problems in which delving deeper may expose actually if their are deeper problems... and not see it as an end in itself. It's not like curing a symptom is the answer to solving the sickness it self...

As far as long bombs probably not on the top of list to practice but when in a game that means very little besides practice, Damn I just don't understand why not practice whats needed .....ITS PRACTICE....

Tannehill isn’t an epic failure. He’s an average quarterback who the team would be hard pressed to improve upon, due to the scarcity of better available QBs. That’s why he sticks around.

The moderate perspective on Tannehill is the correct one.
That statement is off for several reasons.

If a team doesn't have an above average QB then that team has QB problems. It is a team game however no player is more significant in determining the outcome of the game and team's season than the QB. The QB alone can make a bad team average, an average team good and a good team great. They can also make a great team good, a good team average and an average team bad.

Tannehill is only average on this board. ESPN recently posted their Tier QB rankings based on a compilation of 50 coaches and executives and Tannehill came out 27. Productivity wise Tannehill has been below average most of his career.

Even if Tannehill was average as claimed for the administration not to at the very least attempt to bring in "one" player that provides real competition is a football sin. This is year seven!

And there were several players this year alone Miami could have made a play for to try and improve the position. Tyrod Taylor would have been an improvement. In three years in Buffalo he had a winning record 22-20 and a TD to Int ratio of 51 to 16. He also ran for 16 TDs for a combined 66 TD to to 16 interceptions. Compare that to Tannehill's last three years of a 22-23 and a TD to Int ratio of 73 to 36. Can also add the number of times the QBs put the ball on the ground (total fumbles, both lost and recovered) and Taylor fumbled the ball 17 times compared to Tannehill's 29.

Personally, I think the QB with a winning record, a 66-16 TD/int ratio that fumbled the ball 17 times is a big improvement over the QB with a losing record, a 73-36 TD/int ratio that fumbled the ball 29 times.

They also could have taken a chance on Bridgewater who showed he had the goods in Minnesota to at least provide competition. They could have drafted Lamar Jackson or assured themselves of getting Rosen. What is the organization afraid of? Do they think Tannehill is so fragile that he would fall apart against competition on his own team?

The only report I've heard in seven years of an attempt to improve the position was Philbin wanting to draft Derek Carr which certainly would have been an upgrade at the position.

Just to clue you in, youre posting on a site where the majority of its participants believe we're having a 10-6 or better record this season.

Bunch of love starved fruit-flies this bunch is.

Welcome aboard.

I have an analogy for the Negatrons of Finheaven:

Think back to the first time you went potty on your own. Your parents were so proud of you. They told their friends, co-workers and family: "Bobby went doo-doo all by himself for the first time.". It was a monumental achievement in their eyes. Everyone complimented and high-fived each other.

All at the same time, those same people that complimented your parents on your achievement, were sitting back drinking Mad Dog 40/40 saying to each other: "That 2 year old still can't play the stock market worth a crap.".

Lehman's terms.....

Potty achievement = Pre-season
Your Parents = Fans of Pre-season
Friends, family, co-workers = Negatrons
Mad Dog 40/40 = Reality
My Analogy = Doo-Doo

Make sense?

That statement is off for several reasons.

If a team doesn't have an above average QB then that team has QB problems. It is a team game however no player is more significant in determining the outcome of the game and team's season than the QB. The QB alone can make a bad team average, an average team good and a good team great. They can also make a great team good, a good team average and an average team bad.

Tannehill is only average on this board. ESPN recently posted their Tier QB rankings based on a compilation of 50 coaches and executives and Tannehill came out 27. Productivity wise Tannehill has been below average most of his career.

Even if Tannehill was average as claimed for the administration not to at the very least attempt to bring in "one" player that provides real competition is a football sin. This is year seven!

And there were several players this year alone Miami could have made a play for to try and improve the position. Tyrod Taylor would have been an improvement. In three years in Buffalo he had a winning record 22-20 and a TD to Int ratio of 51 to 16. He also ran for 16 TDs for a combined 66 TD to to 16 interceptions. Compare that to Tannehill's last three years of a 22-23 and a TD to Int ratio of 73 to 36. Can also add the number of times the QBs put the ball on the ground (total fumbles, both lost and recovered) and Taylor fumbled the ball 17 times compared to Tannehill's 29.

Personally, I think the QB with a winning record, a 66-16 TD/int ratio that fumbled the ball 17 times is a big improvement over the QB with a losing record, a 73-36 TD/int ratio that fumbled the ball 29 times.

They also could have taken a chance on Bridgewater who showed he had the goods in Minnesota to at least provide competition. They could have drafted Lamar Jackson or assured themselves of getting Rosen. What is the organization afraid of? Do they think Tannehill is so fragile that he would fall apart against competition on his own team?

The only report I've heard in seven years of an attempt to improve the position was Philbin wanting to draft Derek Carr which certainly would have been an upgrade at the position.

I think some of those things interact with some other critical variables. For example, I doubt Adam Gase, in his critical third year as a first-time head coach, believes one of those other QBs you mentioned would help him keep his job any better than Tannehill, when they would be new QBs to his system.

Again you have a scarcity of QBs that would cause a significant upgrade at the position, given the other variables involved.

Back
Top Bottom