Tannehill VS Tua Year 1 | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill VS Tua Year 1

Tannehill

Tannegina was a wet saucy clam.
Root for the Titans and Tanginas classic CHOKEs

I’ll root for a Champ TUA Fins Up
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." ― Maurice Switzer

I certainly hope so.

Here's the thing; I don't understand the hatred for Tannehill. It's become pretty freaking evident that the Dolphins issues during his tenure here WEREN'T because of him. He was not, and will never be an elite QB who can carry a bad team deep into the playoffs. But he's pretty freaking good if you play to his strengths, rather than try to shoehorn him into a system that doesn't. It's why I love what Miami is doing with Tua; they're putting him in the best position to succeed.

As far as that "big nuts" thing, that sounds an awful lot like the "no clutch gene" thing that people just love to throw around. As far as THAT goes...

...do you know who leads the NFL in game-winning drives over the past two seasons? It's Ryan Tannehill.
Great post.

What isn't so popular to say is that if you substitute Tua's name for Tannehill's people's heads explode. The truth is that Tua on his own cannot carry a team deep into the playoffs (with a playoff spot on the line he choked big time last year) but if we build Tua a supporting cast and play to his strengths he will be 'pretty freaking good' and I'll be quite happy with that.

The O-Line stopped Tannegina
From diving for the 1st Down? Coming up a yard short on 3rd and 20 with the Playoffs on the Line? Dude has no sack, not clutch. Always crumbles in big games…

Tua on the other hand showed Big Nuts against the Cards and Chargers last year! And he plays for my Team, the Fins. Not the Titans. Way more upside then Tannegina
How many game winning drives did Tannehill lead last year?

No sack? Now I know you are making **** up.

Great post.

What isn't so popular to say is that if you substitute Tua's name for Tannehill's people's heads explode. The truth is that Tua on his own cannot carry a team deep into the playoffs (with a playoff spot on the line he choked big time last year) but if we build Tua a supporting cast and play to his strengths he will be 'pretty freaking good' and I'll be quite happy with that.
I would agree the player we saw last year cannot do that.

To say that is his "written in stone" future is not only premature, but indicative of one who is not objective.

The guy has played 9 games. That alone is enough for any non biased observer to reserve judgement. When you factor in the other multiple circumstances, it should be apparent that definitive conclusions can not be made.

I would agree the player we saw last year cannot do that.

To say that is his "written in stone" future is not only premature, but indicative of one who is not objective.

The guy has played 9 games. That alone is enough for any non biased observer to reserve judgement. When you factor in the other multiple circumstances, it should be apparent that definitive conclusions can not be made.
I don't recall ever saying it was "written in stone" in fact I never even suggested that or made any 'definitive conclusions', it's far too early to tell.

My own opinion is that Tua is not likely to become Elite like an Aaron Rodgers, Dan Marino, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning type. I do think he will be a great player for us though and we could win championships with him. Maybe Tua exceeds my expectations and maybe he doesn't, as long as we're a perennial playoff team with him tossing the ball I don't really care one way or the other...

I don't recall ever saying it was "written in stone" in fact I never even suggested that or made any 'definitive conclusions', it's far too early to tell.
You said:
The truth is that Tua on his own cannot carry a team deep into the playoffs
How else would someone take that statement?

I would submit that no QB can do that "on his own".

I understand the use of cliches and rhetoric, but words do have actual defined meanings.

You did add context after the fact, so maybe you didn't mean exactly what you wrote in the first post.

You said:

How else would someone take that statement?

I would submit that no QB can do that "on his own".

I understand the use of cliches and rhetoric, but words do have actual defined meanings.

You did add context after the fact, so maybe you didn't mean exactly what you wrote in the first post.
Context matters, instead of just selectively taking a snippet, quote the whole sentence:

The truth is that Tua on his own cannot carry a team deep into the playoffs (with a playoff spot on the line he choked big time last year) but if we build Tua a supporting cast and play to his strengths he will be 'pretty freaking good' and I'll be quite happy with that.
When words like "but if" are used that hardly sounds definitive or like the statement suggests something is written in stone

Context matters, instead of just selectively taking a snippet, quote the whole sentence:

When words like "but if" are used that hardly sounds definitive or like the statement suggests something is written in stone
So you are saying Tua isn't great, but can succeed under the right circumstances.

I get what you said. I'm saying it's too early to say for sure that Tua can't be great, whichbyou acknowledge in a later post.

I didn't truncate the sentence to pick and choose. I did it because I don't see the second part as relevant to my point.

In any case, you have adequately clarified the statement, and it would seem we agree for the most part.

So you are saying Tua isn't great, but can succeed under the right circumstances.

I get what you said. I'm saying it's too early to say for sure that Tua can't be great, whichbyou acknowledge in a later post.

I didn't truncate the sentence to pick and choose. I did it because I don't see the second part as relevant to my point.

In any case, you have adequately clarified the statement, and it would seem we agree for the most part.
Actually I said Tua can be 'pretty freaking good', I just don't think he'll be as elite as the examples I posted. Words matter right?

Well here's some of your own advice that you can practice:

"Better to remain silent

I didn't truncate your previous quote to pick and choose, I did it because I don't see the second part as relevant to my point.

See what I did there? ; )

Tannehill gave his all for the Phins, never threw anyone under the bus, had bozos directing and mentoring him and sacrificed his health. Given a good team, he has fulfilled the expectations of the team that did everything they could to derail his success.

Now I am big on Tua and will root for even Cleo Lemon under center if playing the Titans, but I believe RT17 merits some respect for his selfless service.

But as such, I guess "when in Rome do as the Romans do"

View attachment 78417
We got exactly what I said they day we drafted him. We got a WR drafted to be a QB that needed about 5 more years of development. It took him 8. That's what was available out of him and that's what we rolled with. I don't disrespect Thill, just never wanted to draft him, never saw anything out of him game after game, never saw a leader, never saw a QB. That was his time in Miami. He is a different player in Tennessee and great for him. Many players are able to change thier career with changing teams. But he would never be what he is now if he stayed. Regardless of who people want to blame for Thills lack of success, he set our franchise back 10 years. That's the foundation of my distaste for him. But not disrespect...at least on my part. Other posters....

We got exactly what I said they day we drafted him. We got a WR drafted to be a QB that needed about 5 more years of development. It took him 8. That's what was available out of him and that's what we rolled with. I don't disrespect Thill, just never wanted to draft him, never saw anything out of him game after game, never saw a leader, never saw a QB. That was his time in Miami. He is a different player in Tennessee and great for him. Many players are able to change thier career with changing teams. But he would never be what he is now if he stayed. Regardless of who people want to blame for Thills lack of success, he set our franchise back 10 years. That's the foundation of my distaste for him. But not disrespect...at least on my part. Other posters....
But he wasn't. You don't know what happened at A&M?

No HE didn't. THEY did. Unless of course, Philbin, Lazor, Gase, et al have crushed it on other teams with other QBs.......

Not to mention ridiculous number of crappy offensive linemen they cycled through this place. How many were being held back by Tannehill? How many succeeded elsewhere after leaving the Dolphins. I'll hang up and listen.

In the end, in your desperate desire to be correct about not wanting the team to draft Tannehill, you need to cling to an untenable position. Anybody paying attention saw glimpses in 2014, in his THIRD season and should have been fully convinced in 2016.

The total irony is that your distaste SHOULD be directed at the people who drafted him and failed to support him with decent coaching and players.

When you've blamed the QB for years and he goes to a MEDIOCRE offense and instantly converts it into a top 2 or 3 offense and the team he left stays bad....... seriously..... not hard to figure out.

Your suppositions built on a foundational inaccuracy teeter as a result. Tannehill was a 3 star Texas HS QB and was drafted as such. While waiting his time, as a team player he agreed to line up as a WR where he excelled. Having that perspective only made him more valuable under center. The Fins starting with that ridiculous timer and the parade of clowns did him dirty. Ryan's main issue was that he was too nice about the $hit sandwiches force-fed him!

No HE didn't. THEY did. Unless of course, Philbin, Lazor, Gase, et al have crushed it on other teams with other QBs.......

Not to mention ridiculous number of crappy offensive linemen they cycled through this place. How many were being held back by Tannehill? How many succeeded elsewhere after leaving the Dolphins. I'll hang up and listen.

In the end, in your desperate desire to be correct about not wanting the team to draft Tannehill, you need to cling to an untenable position. Anybody paying attention saw glimpses in 2014, in his THIRD season and should have been fully convinced in 2016.

The total irony is that your distaste SHOULD be directed at the people who drafted him and failed to support him with decent coaching and players.

When you've blamed the QB for years and he goes to a MEDIOCRE offense and instantly converts it into a top 2 or 3 offense and the team he left stays bad....... seriously..... not hard to figure out.
In the end...I was correct

Back
Top Bottom