Tannehill VS Tua Year 1 | Page 18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill VS Tua Year 1

except for saying he was a WR playing QB
Up to 2 years ago...yup he was
Edit: note, I am saying at this time he is a top QB in the NFL. It just took him 8 years to move from WR to there. Right around the time frame I laid out.

Edit: note, I am saying at this time he is a top QB in the NFL. It just took him 8 years to move from WR to there. Right around the time frame I laid out.
so his senior year in high school when he threw for 5200 yards and became a 3 star recruit as a QB, he was really a WR?

EDIT: in the future, maybe not the best idea to take Wikipedia as fact. Even though the home page says 5258 yards, it is, in fact, 1258. He was a 3 star QB recruit, however

Last edited:
We got exactly what I said they day we drafted him. We got a WR drafted to be a QB that needed about 5 more years of development. It took him 8. That's what was available out of him and that's what we rolled with. I don't disrespect Thill, just never wanted to draft him, never saw anything out of him game after game, never saw a leader, never saw a QB. That was his time in Miami. He is a different player in Tennessee and great for him. Many players are able to change thier career with changing teams. But he would never be what he is now if he stayed. Regardless of who people want to blame for Thills lack of success, he set our franchise back 10 years. That's the foundation of my distaste for him. But not disrespect...at least on my part. Other posters....
He is the same as he was here, slightly improved in many areas (which he consistently has done throughout his career, since year 1). He just has a better situation than he ever found himself in, in the dysfunctional excuse for an NFL team Miami Dolphins from 2012-2018.

Now we find Tua in the same situation Tannehill was in, "surround him with some talent," "he needs a good Oline," "he needs a system that fits his strengths." Here's an example of what SHOULD have been in Miami, had they recognized this several years before Tua arrived:

tanny.jpg

It took 4 years for him to be ready and 4 more years for his supporting cast and coaching staff to be ready. The only problem is that he had to go to a different team for the second part of that to happen. How else do you explain the instantaneous rise with the Titans.

You either have to believe that he radically improved between Dec 30th 2018 and Oct 20th 2019 (while joining a new team, getting 2nd string reps in practice, and playing less than one half of football) OR that something was terribly wrong around him in Miami and he was already good enough.

If he was good enough in 2018 (which seems undeniable) then he was good enough in 2016 (since he missed all of 2017) and 2016 was his best stretch of games in Miami.

Your suppositions built on a foundational inaccuracy teeter as a result. Tannehill was a 3 star Texas HS QB and was drafted as such. While waiting his time, as a team player he agreed to line up as a WR where he excelled. Having that perspective only made him more valuable under center. The Fins starting with that ridiculous timer and the parade of clowns did him dirty. Ryan's main issue was that he was too nice about the $hit sandwiches force-fed him!

Bingo.

Tannehill was the best player on the team for most of the time he was a Dolphin.

Haters quickly ignore the fact that he was playing elite ball when he got hurt in 2016, in fact, he was likely having the best game of his career against Arizona when Calais Campbell fell into his knee.

We never came close to having the team that suited his talents. The Miami Dolphins were lucky to have Ryan Tannehill, not vice versa. I'll always admire RT17.

That said, Tua is going to be a lot better. A lot.

He is the same as he was here, slightly improved in many areas (which he consistently has done throughout his career, since year 1). He just has a better situation than he ever found himself in, in the dysfunctional excuse for an NFL team Miami Dolphins from 2012-2018.

Now we find Tua in the same situation Tannehill was in, "surround him with some talent," "he needs a good Oline," "he needs a system that fits his strengths." Here's an example of what SHOULD have been in Miami, had they recognized this several years before Tua arrived:

View attachment 78462

It would be very interesting to see how the "Stop making excuses for Tannehill" and the "Tua just needs some talent around him" posters overlap....... I suspect many posters have changed their tune.

While I disagree with the #AllAboutTheQB crowd, I could at least respect them if they are saying the same things about Tua as they did about Tannehill. It is the posters that have switched from "blaming the supporting cast is an excuse" for Tannehill to "blaming the supporting cast is a reason" for Tua that I can't respect.

Bingo.

Tannehill was the best player on the team for most of the time he was a Dolphin.

Haters quickly ignore the fact that he was playing elite ball when he got hurt in 2016, in fact, he was likely having the best game of his career against Arizona when Calais Campbell fell into his knee.

We never came close to having the team that suited his talents. The Miami Dolphins were lucky to have Ryan Tannehill, not vice versa. I'll always admire RT17.

That said, Tua is going to be a lot better. A lot.
We can only hope at this point, but it certainly seems possible. At least the team has FINALLY figured out you need a team around the QB (a scientific impossibility around here for decades, to be sure)!

If Tua ends up a lot better than current Tannehill, we're in for some pretty damn big things!!!!

It took 4 years for him to be ready and 4 more years for his supporting cast and coaching staff to be ready. The only problem is that he had to go to a different team for the second part of that to happen. How else do you explain the instantaneous rise with the Titans.

You either have to believe that he radically improved between Dec 30th 2018 and Oct 20th 2019 (while joining a new team, getting 2nd string reps in practice, and playing less than one half of football) OR that something was terribly wrong around him in Miami and he was already good enough.

If he was good enough in 2018 (which seems undeniable) then he was good enough in 2016 (since he missed all of 2017) and 2016 was his best stretch of games in Miami.
I agree. I don't see any logic in the idea that he needed 8 years to breakout. He took 4 years, which makes sense for how raw he was coming in. He obviously has some strengths and weaknesses, but it is also obvious that the problem was primarily his situation here.

According to his college coach, yup. As that is where he played.
After he was recruited as a QB, and competed for the starting QB spot as a freshman. My previous opinion of Sherman being a dolt is only confirmed by this.

It is also important to realize that (despite a post earlier), Tannehill did not throw much in HS. His HS coach ran a Split T offense. I've searched for official stats and couldn't find any.

Here is a link (https://www.thephinsider.com/2012/4/26/2978657/ryan-tannehill-an-inside-look-at-the-numbers) to an article that says this:

Tannehill played high school football at Big Spring High school. He played 10 games at defensive back his sophomore season. As a junior, he passed for 1,410 yards and rushed for 822 at quarterback. He took his team to the playoffs as a senior, passing for 1,258 yards and rushing for another 617.

After his junior year, he had no college offers due to the offense that was used at his high school. He visited 7 schools on his own and got offers from 6 of them (as a QB).

After he was recruited as a QB, and competed for the starting QB spot as a freshman. My previous opinion of Sherman being a dolt is only confirmed by this.

It is also important to realize that (despite a post earlier), Tannehill did not throw much in HS. His HS coach ran a Split T offense. I've searched for official stats and couldn't find any.

Here is a link (https://www.thephinsider.com/2012/4/26/2978657/ryan-tannehill-an-inside-look-at-the-numbers) to an article that says this:

Tannehill played high school football at Big Spring High school. He played 10 games at defensive back his sophomore season. As a junior, he passed for 1,410 yards and rushed for 822 at quarterback. He took his team to the playoffs as a senior, passing for 1,258 yards and rushing for another 617.

After his junior year, he had no college offers due to the offense that was used at his high school. He visited 7 schools on his own and got offers from 6 of them (as a QB).
Sorry, that was taken from Wikipedia, looks like a typo. It says 5258 instead of 1258

Back
Top Bottom