Tanny and his sacks | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tanny and his sacks

FINatic054

Scout Team
Reaction score
I know alot of you have noticed this as well but why does tanny continually not throw the ball away when he has the opportunity to. That first sack her took when we were in fg range and we lost 10+ yards was horrendous. He's trying to run away from the 2 tacklers when he could have just thrown the ball away. Luckily Williams was able to make a play on 3rd to pick up the first down but that was very frustrating. And he has done this many times not just in this game but throughout his career. This would seem like an easy fix imo. I don't understand this continually being a problem.

Hard to fully judge without seeing what's in front of him. Even a throwaway requires you to follow through with your pass, and if you're in the box you can't just heave it out of bounds anywhere. Not saying it's not an issue but sometimes the safe thing is to tuck and take the sack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I agree that throwing the ball away is a better option and that there are certainly are times where it feels like he had an opportunity to do that and didn't.....I also think this is an effort by him to have better ball security and not risk or create turnovers by having a strip sack or tossing an INT.

Maybe a bit of overreaction on RT's part......but he has certainly improved in the turnover department.

He doesn't want to hurt his passer rating! In all seriousness though some of those sacks came so quick there's no way he could have thrown it away, and some of them he was just standing tall in there with his head down field trying to make a play. Say what you want about Tannehill but he's one tough customer and a great competitor. He'd rather take the big hit to get a 5 yard pass/gain than save himself and not get any yards. I understand sometimes the better play is to get rid of it, and I've screamed at my tv for him to do so but I can't get too upset with him wanting to make plays.

The thing that sucks now is that with Albert out for the year, it forces the Dolphins to play Dallas Thomas. Even with Albert it wasn't the best OL in the league but Hickey couldn't exactly spend 5 draft picks on the OL to make them better again.

It's a work in progress with Albert and now especially without him. Some of the sacks last night that Thomas gave up it was like he just stuck his arms in the air and let Mario Williams get the sack. I'm sure on a sack or two there could have been a throwaway but maybe not. Intentional grounding is a killer and you can't lose yards and a down and expect to have a good drive.

Hopefully next season the OL will be a strength and we won't have to worry so much about the sacks.

It is frustrating but the way i look at it is its ALWAYS much better than throwing a pick or fumbling. If he tries to throw the ball away that means its not tucked and vulnerable to be swatted as well. I hope he improves on his ability to throw the ball away in the future but for now we can win games if we don't turn it over.

I'm starting to think tanny could complete 90% of his passes with 3 TDs and no ints and takes 1 sack and people would be talking about the sack.

Sacks are frustrating and it did seem a couple were because he held the ball too long, but if he's in the pocket, he cant just throw it away. That's intentional grounding. Fix isn't as simple as you're suggesting.

I'm starting to think tanny could complete 90% of his passes with 3 TDs and no ints and takes 1 sack and people would be talking about the sack.

1 bad sack and it's the focus of some people. Not the fact we just played the 2 best DLs in football 4 days apart and looking good.

He clearly has zero confidence in the offensive line, and while I can't say I blame him, to be a viable NFL starter you CANT take bad sacks like he does. You won't last long enough in the league taking hits like that, and obviously you'll lose football games.

Back
Top Bottom