Taylor trade unlikely against my better wishes | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Taylor trade unlikely against my better wishes

dtjp17

Active Roster
Reaction score
Taylor on the block? is this all a ploy to get a second rounder by starting negotiations at a first

Jason Taylor | Dolphins
Taylor is dancing with the stars, but odds still favor him playing for the Dolphins this season, according to John Clayton. Bill Parcells would be willing to part with Taylor, but for a first-round pick -- something it seems unlikely many teams would give up.

A second-round pick is also a long shot. If you're Parcells, why would you give up the potential for 10 sacks for a third-round pick? Financially, the Dolphins can afford him. Despite being very active in the early parts of free agency, the Dolphins' payroll is $104 million, not including the cost of signing the rookies. They have $18.5 million of cap room. If a deal does not come to pass, Taylor and the Dolphins have to look at this as a no-harm, no-foul situation. Odds favor him being a Dolphin this season. Taylor is scheduled to make $7.5 million in base salary in 2008, with a $500,000 roster bonus due in the spring, and the defensive end carries a salary cap charge of $10 million. The cap charge rises to $10.5 million in 2009, when Taylor has a scheduled base salary of $8 million.

I agree....I just don't see JT going anywhere, as we will not get anything decent in return. If we drafted Chris Long first overall I think JT would be gone by now.

I agree with the notion that he is worth more to the Dolphins for 2008 than any 3rd round pick. Unless the Dolphins strike gold like they did in selecting Taylor in the 3rd round originally.

But in the NFL it seems that as soon as a guy is placed on the trading block, his days are numbered. He wants out, the Dolphins are willing, a trade will happen. However, because of his large contract he'll have to agree to restructure before being traded, giving him veto power. This may limit trades to a few teams, and make it difficult to pull the trigger quickly during the draft. But Taylor will be traded by the trade deadline if he is not traded this weekend. Players rarely go from the trading block to anything but a distraction.

There's too much value in JT to this team to trade him for a 3rd let alone only a late 2nd. I'd much rather keep him and draft another BPA instead of Groves at 32. We could get great production out of him for more than just 2 years if this turn around can happen in 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom