Team building theory 2021 edition. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Team building theory 2021 edition.

What do you do with #3 if no trade down available?

• QB

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • WR

Votes: 62 45.3%
  • T

Votes: 66 48.2%

• Total voters
I understand

Ae don’t have this WR on the roster we have a bunch of pretenders Williams Hollins and a Parker who plays once in awhile
Actually, the number of games missed by Parker has been overblown by some.

We drafted him injured, so his first season missing time is irrelevant at this point. Over tbe last two seasons, he has played in 16 and 14 games.

The year before,he played in 11, but was a healthy sctatch, due to Gase being a moron in several others.

In 2017, he played in 13 games.

I'm not saying there haven't been issues, but the narrative of him being constantly out is inaccurate. Is isn't hugely any different than the average WR since his first two seasons.

Not argueing here, or suggesting that he is an "elite" player, just pointing out the reality of the situation.

Last edited:
First of all, you can have a hypothetical conversation with any premise you want.

Second, it's hypocritical to state something is a faulty premise, then go with an assumption like 'Smith and Waddle" "look out NFL" like it's a factual statement that they will, unquestionably, be a dynamic duo at the next level.

I guess opinions are fine, unless they are someone elses?
Two different things.
Again, you can always tade down, thats a given, just be fair. If we only ask for a second, no one bite? C'mon....

Smith / Chase is my hope. No one knows.

Two different things.
Again, you can always tade down, thats a given, just be fair. If we only ask for a second, no one bite? C'mon....

Smith / Chase is my hope. No one knows.
Watch last year's draft coverage and specifically look at Patricia, on the #3 spot, waiting to trade back... dude is pissed because the calls arent coming in... You cant always trade down for a reasonable return...

I'd only draft Sewell if we are 100% confident that we are able to move up from 18 back into the top 10 for Chase/Smith. And Grier doesn't seem that into moving up early in the draft.

I'd have to draft whoever I feel more comfortable taking that high out of Chase and Smith if we were stuck at 3. Not sacrificing the desperate need for an elite talent at WR. We don't need more JAGS. We need an alpha WR1 first and foremost.

Just as many of you are good with the WR options at 18 and beyond, I'm good with the tackle/guard options at 18 and beyond: Slater, Darrisaw, Mayfield, Leatherwood, Davis, Vera-Tucker, etc. Waddle will NOT be there at 18, and leaving this draft with Bateman for example as the top WR added, would be poor based on the position we are in.

Only way I'm taking Sewell at 3 is if we are able to bring in a Chris Godwin type WR. Then, I'd be okay waiting until 18 to take a receiver. But yeah, there's no chance I'm rolling into 2021 with Parker/Williams my starters, and waiting on WR increases those chances.
I don't disagree, but here's another perspective. If Miami drafts Sewell, Tua should have more time to throw and receivers more time to get open.

Perhaps the Dolphins could get by with receivers who aren't Smith, Chase or Waddle.

Sewell at LT and Jackson RT for me.

Regardless of what we do on the first day, I'd draft a center on day 2 for sure. Probably 2b or 81. Creed, Dickerson, Myers, Lindstrom, Hill. Any of those guys is likely a day 1 upgrade of Karras.
Pretty nice class of centers.

Interested on your take of moving Jackson to RT. Doesn't it make more sense to move Sewell there?

I approach the #3 pick by player, not position.

At this point, assuming Jags and Jets take Lawrence and Shield/Wilson my big board would be Sewell at #3 and the rest if Miami dropped down down and stayed in the top 10.

Sewell
Chase
Parsons
Smith
Pitts
Waddle
Paye
Rousseau

Hard not to put Surtain II or Farley in their, but so many resources already invested in the secondary and hope Iggy is ready to contribute.
The thing about Surtain that might be tempting, is he could initially play safety. Can you imagine a secondary with X. Howard, Byron Jones and Surtain?

Also, Howard has battled injuries throughout his career. Final point, we know how much of an emphasis Flores puts on the secondary.

Seems like a luxury pick, but maybe not to Flores.

This WR class is deep. There will be guys available day 2 who will be NFL starters as rookies. They might not have the hype that Smith or Chase has, but they would certainly improve our WR core. Fixing our OL is critical to the growth and success of Tua. I really can’t agree more with what you wrote; if Sewell is there at 3 and we can’t trade back there is zero reason not to take him. He is the best lineman on our team the minute he signs his rookie contract.
That's what I'm thinking as well.

First I want to pat myself on the back, as I write this, the WR poll option sits at exactly 50%... My prediction skills are unprecedented...lol!

On a more serious note, here's what I would do...

I prepare for the event where no trade down is available, in this case Im going for value with Sewell. Use FA to get a 2nd tier WR that provides me with an above average NFL production option. In this case, Im going after Curtis Samuel who fits the SEP profile Tua would thrive with, he's young and wont break the bank.

If a trade down opportunity does pop on draft day, I pounce on it(given its a fair deal obviously) and draft Chase/Smith with the first pcik in the 1st round. This sets up the Fins with Samuel and the best WR in the draft as additions to the WR room.

If I find myself drafting Sewel at #3, WR needs to be a priority beyond the next 3 picks, you dont want to force it but you have to feel confident that you're going to get the right opportunity on at least one of those picks.

Worst case scenario: You've added a top flight T to your OL and you missed on the top flight WR prospects getting one in the 2-3rd round. There's abolutely nothing catastrophic about it, considering you prepared for it in FA.

Best case scenario: You've got yourself a young up and coming WR in FA, added the best receiver in the draft on top of it and still have one 1st round pick plus the rest of the draft. This is absolute baller ****.
Spot on. I also think there's potential for Miami to get a 2022 1st round pick in a trade. All you have to do is look at the compensation teams have received in the past.

Samuel would be a nice free agent add.

Pretty nice class of centers.

Interested on your take of moving Jackson to RT. Doesn't it make more sense to move Sewell there?
I don't think, as coaches, you could make that decision until you get them into camp.

That being said, neither is going to be ecstatic about a move to the right side, from a career earning possibility perspective. IDK if that would/shoud be a concern from the team's perspective, but I have to believe it will be from the player's, and his agents point of view. Who knows though, the days of one side being more valued than the other may be ending anyway.

The answer at #3 is Sewell. If Sewell is able to lock down LT, you move Austin Jackson to RT and let him and Hunt battle it out. Ideally, Jackson wins that spot and you can move Hunt inside. If not, Austin Jackson becomes a pretty darn good swing tackle and you have your bookend tackles solved.

From there, identify the playmakers you want and don’t be afraid to move around to grab them. Still want Devonta? Trade up. Like Olave? Grab him at 18.

I don't think, as coaches, you could make that decision until you get them into camp.

That being said, neither is going to be ecstatic about a move to the right side, from a career earning possibility perspective. IDK if that would/shoud be a concern from the team's perspective, but I have to believe it will be from the player's, and his agents point of view. Who knows though, the days of one side being more valued than the other may be ending anyway.
Perhaps with a lefty quarterback, an agent could make a good point that the right tackle should be paid what left tackles traditionally get?

Of course. the left tackle would probably still want left tackle money. Could be a salary cap issue down the line.

The answer at #3 is Sewell. If Sewell is able to lock down LT, you move Austin Jackson to RT and let him and Hunt battle it out. Ideally, Jackson wins that spot and you can move Hunt inside. If not, Austin Jackson becomes a pretty darn good swing tackle and you have your bookend tackles solved.

From there, identify the playmakers you want and don’t be afraid to move around to grab them. Still want Devonta? Trade up. Like Olave? Grab him at 18.
If worst came to worse, its likely you could trade Jackson, and recoup most, if not more than the investment.

I wouldn't want to do that.

Back
Top Bottom