Team Needs - Solutions | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Team Needs - Solutions

Real good post. However, I would consider center to be one of our biggest needs, it would have been nice if you included that. Also, why isn't Derrick Dockery on the guards list, did Washington recently re-sign him? I'd love to bring him in if we can't get Dielman or Steinbach.

I did not think Rex Hadnot did a terrible job this year. However, Center might also be one of the positions that need upgrade. As Coach Cameron said in his press conference, the team is build from the Center. These would be the best players available at that position:

1 Al Johnson, DAL
2 Shaun O'Hara, NYG
3 Alex Stepanovich RFA 4th, ARI
4 Nick Leckey RFA 6th, ARI
5 Hank Fraley, CLE

And this from the draft:
1 Ryan Kalil, USC
2 Doug Datisu, OSU
3 Samson Satele, Hawaii
4 Kyle Young, Fresno St.
5 Leroy Harris, NC St.

About Derrick Dockery, I do not think he resign with the 'skins. I just did not include him in the list. He would be a good updrage as well.

My Favs-Jmo
QB-Draft Stanton-2nd 3rd round
RB-None -Ricky will be back plus Morris does run hard!
WR-Donte Stallworth-Otherwise Pick one up after teams cut their rosters.We have 4 good WRs
OT-Levi Brown-1st pick
OG-Kris Dielman
DT-Vonnie Holiday(resign him)Let the rookies from last year compete!
OSLB-Just stay with what we have-Maybe pick one up later.can't fix everything in 1 year!LB crew can get it done 1 more year!Other teams have worse!
MLB-Same as above-but would take-Donnie Edwards if the price is right
S-can make it another year with Hill,Bell and Allen(use as corner)
CB-Nate Clements or Asante Samuel(Just spend the Damn money and get what we have been missing ever since we chose no to spend the money on Pat and Sam)A PLAYMAKER!!!!
K-Justin Medlock UCLA-5th or 6th pick I like how this kid kicks!Save the money and say BYE BYE to MARE!

what do you guys think of manning jr? hes pretty good/solid.

My Favs-Jmo
QB-Draft Stanton-2nd 3rd round
RB-None -Ricky will be back plus Morris does run hard!
WR-Donte Stallworth-Otherwise Pick one up after teams cut their rosters.We have 4 good WRs
OT-Levi Brown-1st pick
OG-Kris Dielman
DT-Vonnie Holiday(resign him)Let the rookies from last year compete!
OSLB-Just stay with what we have-Maybe pick one up later.can't fix everything in 1 year!LB crew can get it done 1 more year!Other teams have worse!
MLB-Same as above-but would take-Donnie Edwards if the price is right
S-can make it another year with Hill,Bell and Allen(use as corner)
CB-Nate Clements or Asante Samuel(Just spend the Damn money and get what we have been missing ever since we chose no to spend the money on Pat and Sam)A PLAYMAKER!!!!
K-Justin Medlock UCLA-5th or 6th pick I like how this kid kicks!Save the money and say BYE BYE to MARE!

For the most part, I'd be happy with those moves. I don't really think we need Donnie Edwards though, we already have one very good, old MLB on the team. I know we sometimes use two in our 3-4, but I don't think it would be worth it. Stallworth is alway hurt as well. If he is cheap, I think I'd take a shot, but once again I don't think it would be worth it. I don't think we have the money to sign Clements or Samuel either. I'd love to upgrade our corners, but it would just use up too much cap space.

The draft looks very solid to me. I'm not a huge Levi Brown fan and I'm hoping one of the elite players (ala Quinn, Adams, Branch...) slips to us rather than settling for Brown. But if we can't get Quinn, I'd be doing backflips if our other picks our Kalil, Stanton and Medlock.

The Phins don't need upgrades in almost every area and the defense is not as old as some make it out to be.
They are a lot better off than we think. We have multiple young D-lineman. If you take Traylor out of the equation the average age of the defense isn't that old.

I would love it if we signed Michael Turner.This kid is the real deal IMO.We would be in very good hands if Ronnie went down.

The Miami Dolphins need upgrades in almost every other area for a feeble offense and aging defense. The following are the most important needs our team has and the players we could add to the team through free agency and the draft to solve these needs.

Quarterback - How to go about addressing the uber-muddled QB scenario that the team is faced with heading into the 2007 campaign? Culpepper could be the QB this season, but he has to keep healthy and smart in the field. Harrington is a victim of the Cap and his own inconsistency. Cleo could be a good back up, but I have not seen enough to think he is a future starter. These are the best available free agents at this position:

1 Jeff Garcia, PHI
2 Damon Huard, KC
3 Matt Shaub RFA 3rd, ATL
4 Tim Rattay, TB
5 Kerry Collins, TEN

Draft prospects at this position:

1 JaMarcus Russell, LSU
2 Brady Quinn, ND
3 Chris Leak, FLA
4 Troy Smith, OSU
5 Kevin Kolb, UH
6 Drew Stanton, MSU
7 Jordan Palmer, UTEP
8 James Pinkney, East Carolina
9 Josh Beck, BYU
10 Trent Edwards, Standord
11 Jared Zabransky, BSU

Runningback - If Ricky Williams is not back, and Ronnie Brown cannot remain healthy, it would be better to find some help at the HB position. These are the best available free agents at this position:

1 Ahman Green, GB
2 Michael Turner RFA 5th, SD
3 Chris Brown, TEN
4 T.J. Duckett, WAS
5 Ron Dayne, HOU

1 Adrian Peterson, OU
2 Marshawn Lynch, Cal
3 Michael Bush, Louisville
4 Kenny Irons, Auburn
5 Antonio Pittman, OSU

Wide Receivers - We need to upgrade our receiving corps. These are the best available free agents at this position:

1 Drew Bennett, TEN
2 Donte Stallworth, PHI
3 Ernest Wilford RFA 4th, JAC
4 Ashley Lelie, ATL
5 Travis Taylor, MIN

1 Calvin Johnson, Georgia Tech
2 Dwayne Jarret, USC
3 Ted Ginn Jr, OSU
4 Dwayne Bowe, LSU
5 Sidney Rice, South Carolina

Offensive Tackle - This team cannot make the playoffs with Damion McIntosh playing left tackle. It just can't be done. A top-notch starter would do wonders. These are the best available free agents at this position:

1 Jon Stinchcomb, NO
2 Max Starks RFA 3rd, PIT
3 Sean Locklear RFA 3rd, SEA
4 Tony Pashos, BAL
5 Marc Colombo, DAL

1 Joe Thomas, Wisconsin
2 Levi Brown, PSU
3 Joe Staley, Central Michigan
4 Arron Sears, Tennessee
5 Tony Ugoh, Arkansas

Offensive Guard - Miami's shaky at both guard spots, and needs to bring in some young players to at least compete and provide depth. These are the best available free agents at this position:

1 Kris Dielman, SD
2 Eric Steinbach, CIN
3 Jacob Bell RFA 5th, TEN
4 Jake Scott RFA 5th, IND
5 Andre Gurode, DAL

1 Justin Blalock, Texas
2 Ben Grubbs, Auburn
3 Josh Beekman, BC
4 Marshal Yanda, Iowa
5 Manuel Ramirez, Texas Tech

Defensive Tackle - Keith Traylor and Vonnie Holiday (No Signing) are on the downside of their careers. These are the best available free agents at this position:

1 Ian Scott, CHI
2 Vonnie Holiday, MIA (Resign)
3 Bryant Young, SF
4 Cory Redding, TEN
5 Randy Starks RFA 3rd, TEN

1 Jamaal Anderson, Arkansas
2 Gaines Adams, Clemson
3 Adam Carriker, Nebraska
4 Victor Abiamiri, ND
5 Quentin Moses, UGA

Outside Linebacker - Donnie Spragan is not a long-term solution. These are the best available free agents at this position:

1 Lance Briggs, CHI
2 Shaun Phillips RFA 4th, SD
3 Adalius Thomas, BAL
4 Cato June, IND
5 Landon Johnson RFA 3rd, CIN

1 Paul Posluszny, PSU
2 Lawrence Timmons, FSU
3 Jon Beason, UM
4 Stewart Bradley, Nebraska
5 Earl Evertt, UF

Middle Linebacker - Zach Thomas has started to show his age, so Miami needs to find an eventual replacement. These are the best available free agents at this position:

1 London Fletcher, BUF
2 Donnie Edwards, SD
3 Kawika Mitchell, KC
4 Chris Draft, CAR
5 Randall Godfrey, SD

1 Patrick Willis, Ole Miss
2 Buster Davis, FSU
3 David Harris, Michigan
4 Brandon Siler, UF
5 H.B Blades, Pittsburgh

Safety - Spent last year's first round pick on oft-injured Jason Allen, but could use more talent at the other safety spot (and to back-up Allen in 2007). These are the best available free agents at this position:

1 Ken Hamlin, SEA
2 Gibril Wilson RFA 5th, NYG
3 Michael Lewis, PHI
4 Deon Grant, JAC
5 Mike Doss, IND

1 LaRon Landry, LSU
2 Reggie Nelson, UF
3 Michael Griffin, Texas
4 Eric Weddle, Utah
5 Brandon Meriweather, UM

Cornerback - Miami's corners have been routinely beat this season, and it's still unclear if they have anyone on the roster who can serviceably replace Sam Madison or Patrick Surtain. These are the best available free agents at this position:

1 Nate Clements, BUF
2 Asante Samuel, NE
3 Ricky Manning Jr., CHI
4 Tory James, CIN
5 Nick Harper, IND

1 Leon Hall, Michigan
2 Darrelle Revis, Pittsburgh
3 Marcus McCauley, Fresno St.
4 Aaron Ross, Texas
5 Daymeion Hughes, Cal

Kicker - Olindo Mare is old and average; Miami could be one of the few teams this year interested in taking a kicker in the middle rounds. These are the best available free agents at this position:

1 Josh Brown, SEA
2 Jay Feely, NYG
3 Josh Scobee, JAC
4 Rian Lindell, BUF
5 Lawrence Tynes, KC

1 Mason Crosby, Colorado
2 Justin Medlock, UCLA
3 Nick Folk
4 Brandon Pace, VT
5 Jesse Ainsworth, Arizona St.

hey dude, your defensive tackle prospects are all defensive ends....you may want to check your info on those and with teams cutting players in example NYG cutting OT Pettigout and OLB Emmons those two would jump to the top of your respective positions for free agency.

My ideal offseason would be something like this:

Trade down in the first round and pick up 1 second round pick for trading down.

1. Stanton QB
2. Brown OT or Staley OT
2. Bowe WR
3. Medlock K
4. Siler MLB or BPA
5-7 BPA

Free agents:
Dielman/Steinbach OG (either would be good)
Holiday DT (resign him for his play and continuity)
Clements/Samuel CB (Manning might be an option)

It might not work out that way but I can dream can't I?

By the way PhinCanuck, excellent work on this post.

Where's Leonard Davis at tackle?

Great thread though Canuck. Finheaven needs more posts like this.

"Ronnie brown can't remain healthy"

Where did this garbage come from? He broke his finger this year! thats not a 'nagging injury.' Thats not an injury that hangs around, nor one that usually happens every year. And he only missed one game his rookie season. This is one of my biggest pet peeves, people who question his durability.

The opening statement said "IF" ronnie brown cant remain healthy!!! Wanst suggesting that he cant, just stating the facts of his first 2 years is all!!!

hey dude, your defensive tackle prospects are all defensive ends....you may want to check your info on those and with teams cutting players in example NYG cutting OT Pettigout and OLB Emmons those two would jump to the top of your respective positions for free agency.

No, he is right about those defensive tackles. A few of those guys may occasionally line up as an end in a 3-4 scheme, but most of them play mostly tackle.

Back
Top Bottom