Teams in the best/worst draft pick situation leading up to the draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Teams in the best/worst draft pick situation leading up to the draft

WPBtoRNOFinFan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Well, I personally think that our beloved Dolphins are probably the team worst off in the draft in terms of number and quality of our selections. We own a mid-round first rounder, which I would preferably see traded for a late mid or late first and a mid-second rounder. Many people have tried to make the early Christmas present argument about Manny Wright, Culpepper, and Lemon, but honestly this is how I see it.

Wright is overrated, weak, and slow. Look at his combine numbers, they speak for themselves, and he gets one sack (Against the BILLS might I add) and suddenly he is anointed our next nose tackle by many. I feel that Wright will be mediocre in the end, but not a great. Lemon, on the other hand, is a joke. The coaching staff must have seen SOMETHING better than Feeley in him, but I could see more positives in having a blind man come in at QB than feeley.

So we only gave up a 5th and 6th for them, right?

Think about the leverage the loss of those two picks would have for us in dealing for Harrington. That could make the difference in the end, although I feel he isn't worth more than a 6th and 7th rounder together.

An argument could also be made that the Falcons and Redskins are worse off in the draft, but I am not too aware of their draft pick situation after the 1st round, which they both lack a pick in. I think the Skins are probably worse off than the Falcons since they traded a 3rd rounder for Lloyd w/the 49'ers

As for the teams in the best position, the first team that comes to mind is the damned Jets.

Why?

First off, they have the fourth overall selection in the draft, and have five picks in the first three rounds of the draft. That is HUGE leverage if they want to move up, or just to fill their many holes. I also feel that the Pats as well are in a pretty good situation, especially considering Bellicheck and Pioli's tendancy to find gems that they can plug in the late rounds.

just a few thoughts....

Best spot: DEN

Yes the Jets have some good picks but mostly due to the fact they suck. Denver was 13-3 last year and has two middle picks in the first round.

Worst spot: IND

Why? Because they have to replace Edge and at #30, good luck. Even the backs that were supposed to be good (namely White) aren't impressing anyone. THEY DO NOT HAVE A STARTING RB.

Prediction: IND trades MIA an extra pick to move down in the first round.

Ray Finkle

Manny Wright is good. The guy was 20 years old. Everyone says if he stayed in school he would have been a top 10 pick. We got a steal because as it turns out his character is not a concern anymore. You saw a very immature guy get better and show flashes of talent in limited playing time at the end of the season. One thing he isn't is slow. He is one of the quickest DTs to come out of college in the last couple of years.

I think trading a 6th for Lemon was a mistake. Especially if this guy isn't supposed to be our primary backup. I never agree with getting players for a pick means you drafted them anyways.

But without looking I would say
BEST: quite obviously Denver (two good first rounders)

WORST: probably us. Having only 2 first day picks reminds me alot of the Wanny era. I am also really disappointed we didn't stockpile just because Saban still has close ties to college programs.

You know I hadnt thought about Indy but they could very well be in the market to trade up, I would take their 1st, 2nd, 4th , and 5th to be equal. But I would take a 1st, 3rd and 5th this year.

lemon trade was not a mistake.

first it got rid feelys contract

second it got rid of feely

With feely gone saban could have his QB with no controversy attached.

Wright is overrated, weak, and slow. Look at his combine numbers, they speak for themselves, and he gets one sack (Against the BILLS might I add) and suddenly he is anointed our next nose tackle by many. I feel that Wright will be mediocre in the end, but not a great.

Christ are you way off. Wright has issues, but being weak and slow arent his issues. He was 3 yards into the opponents backfield virtually every play he was in. Here's a clue, pal, DT's dont get a lot of sacks. Tim Bowens averaged less than 2 sacks a year. Wright played less than 1 full game total and already has 1.

If Wright fails it'll be because he's soft mentally. I believe Boomer's gone on record as saying that he had the physical tools of a top 10 pick.

You know who's in the best position? THE TEXANS AND SAINTS! They have the power to trade their picks and get A LOT for them.

The texans are in the best spot, even though denver has two first rounders, the texans 1st overall is worth much much more. Bush makes the texans 1st overall very valuable.

Poo on trading down, up, under, around or above.

Take Santonio Holmes at 16. You guys have no idea how good he'll be for us.

Back
Top Bottom