Ted Ginn Jr. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ted Ginn Jr.

Boomer

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
In the past 3 hours, whilst chatting draft with CK, I've been watching highlights of Ted Ginn Jr. both at OSU and at high school.

I see no way that Miami should pass on him, unless Brady Quinn gets to pick 7. I managed to go 19 minutes and saw him tackled twice. TWO times. 2. In almost 20 minutes. And this was a clip reel, not an individual game tape.

He is as phenomenal an athlete as Calvin Johnson. His open field ability is better than anything I think I've ever seen and I've been doing this draft thing for a long time now. What he can do with his body at top speed is off the charts. To change direction, to flip his hips, to control his body and still create yardage, all at high speed, is a joy to watch. The footwork is remarkable.

He can reverse a field and out run an entire defense, he can take a reverse , give a defense 10 yards in ground lost and still make the corner before anyone else. When he puts his head down and hits full speed, it's over.

Ginn reminds me of Terry Glenn, his rookie year when he had 92 catches, but quicker. People talk about his inability to run routes, but I say hold on; look what he does on those routes. He may not conventionally run them the way say a Hines Ward does, but he is still effective and he can't be stopped when used correctly.

People say he can't play press. Well put on the tape of the Texas game. Man coverage against Aaron Ross. Ross, BTW is a great man cover corner, strong at the LOS and very fast. Oh and he won the Thorpe Award. He goes to knock Ginn off his route at the snap and Teddy gives him 3 moves that leave a very good corner, a guy I like a lot, grasping for air as he blows by him for 6. Watch the Cincy game. Antoine Horton does the same thing. But Horton gets his hand on him and pushes him out to the sideline, knocks the timing. Then Ginn gives him a move, a subtle move and then they go out of the shot. Troy Smith steps up, launches the ball down the left sideline and when they come into shot, Ginn has 8 yards on Horton. TD. Over.

Him not working out is a blessing in a way. He would run a 4.2. No doubt. The Combine heads, the coaches that love the 40's and the splits, they rue that BCS injury because it stopped two things happening; potentially robbed them of the fastest time at the Combine. And robbed them of breaking the fastest 10 yard split time held by Deion Sanders and Jevon Kearse. I think it's likely that he won't run at all before the draft, so we won't get the true chance to see just how quick he is.

Would I have concerns about him running the comeback? Maybe. But he's the son of one of the best coaches in Ohio. This cat knows how to run routes. When you're so fluid as a runner, so quick, then commitment to perfect routes is not nearly as big an issue as it is for a 4.55 guy like Courtney Taylor for example.

I wouldn't have any concerns about using him as a flanker, in the slot, on middle screens, on reverses, I would line him up at QB and get him to run out of a single wing formation. You could get the ball in his hands 12/15 times on offense, no problems at all. And as a return man, Devin Hester is good, but Hester didn't lead the nation in punt return average, he didn't lead the nation in kick return average, his career punt average as a collegian was less than Ginn's, as was his career kick return average. And Teddy scored more touchdowns as well.

And last time I looked, that's what it's all about.

And yes he's skinny but watch tape on him. He breaks more tackles than anyone I can think of. And it's not just walk on safeties. It's top quality linebackers and corners. You better be grounded and have your hips LOW if you're going to take him down one on one. His ability in the open field is like something few teams have. I can't remember the last time Miami did. And as I've said before, the 'Reggie Bush' effect on each play, knowing where he is, what he's doing, will open up huge opportunities, not only for the other wideouts, but for Ronnie and Ricky as well. Why? You can't play him in man without safety help. You just can't.

If Miami have seen Brady Quinn go off the board before 7, then unless I'm getting a blockbuster deal, or a deal that affords me the chance to slip down 3 or 4 and still get him, then I'm all over Theodore Ginn Jr. like a cheap suit. I'm convinced that he can have a tremendous impact on this team, if used correctly. And Cam Cameron is an offensive mastermind.

It could easily be a very lethal combination.

Thanks Boomer. Both times I've seen Ginn highlight reels, I've gotten very excited. Like you, though, I prefer Brady Quinn. I'm also very concerned about the OL. So, I haven't given it much thought.

Great job Boomer. Now I want Ted Ginn. The draft is definitely a roller coaster ride when it comes to wanting a player.

Too small, not worth the number 9 pick, another Desmond Howard/Peter Warrick. If he is the guy we want we better trade down to #20 or so where he'll go and get som extra picks so we can get someone that will contribute as something but a kick returner.

Thanks Boomer. Both times I've seen Ginn highlight reels, I've gotten very excited. Like you, though, I prefer Brady Quinn. I'm also very concerned about the OL. So, I haven't given it much thought.

I think there's tremendous OL value in rounds 2-5. Guys like Aaron Sears, Justin Blalock, Marshall Yanda, Doug Datish, Andy Alleman, James Marten, Josh Beekman, etc.

Too small, not worth the number 9 pick, another Desmond Howard/Peter Warrick. If he is the guy we want we better trade down to #20 or so where he'll go and get som extra picks so we can get someone that will contribute as something but a kick returner.

Too small? What at 6 foot, 180? Which is closer to 6 foot, 190 when you consider when he was measured in Indy, he'd not worked out for 6 weeks. And neither Howard and certainly not Warrick, had the speed and body control of Ginn.

I think Chambers would be happy with this pick. With Daunte, Ronnie, Chambers, and Ginn along with Booker I think cam could put up some points if the offensive line gels-BIG if though.

i agree about good value in the 2nd rd for the OL, where do you see C sateele from hawaii going and what you think of him boomer, still not crazy about ginn hope he evan goes earlier than 9 take the preasure off, where do you project peterson hoping he falls to 9 to trade down ,thanks good read

I think Chambers would be happy with this pick. With Daunte, Ronnie, Chambers, and Ginn along with Booker I think cam could put up some points if the offensive line gels-BIG if though.

Absolutely. And you then put Chambers in the slot and create massive match-up issues, giving him the opportunity to play up to his potential.

i agree about good value in the 2nd rd for the OL, where do you see C sateele from hawaii going and what you think of him boomer, still not crazy about ginn hope he evan goes earlier than 9 take the preasure off, where do you project peterson hoping he falls to 9 to trade down ,thanks good read

Satale should go in round 2. He's a beast who could play G or OC.

Ginn won't go before 9. Not with not being able to work out.

Peterson is the 2nd best player in the draft. If he does fall, Green Bay and Buffalo will be looking to deal up. If he falls past 5, then it's a massive steal. One thing to contemplate is that the Cardinals don't see James as the man to run Whisenhunt's system. Peterson is. It's unlikely, but not impossible.

If Ted Ginn Jr doesn't work in any way before the April 28th draft, how likely will it be that the Dolphins draft him at #9? How far would he fall? All they way to #40?

I absolutely would take Ginn at #9. The likelihood of that happening is becoming slighter and slighter.

that scares me about ginn not working out will he work out to move up,need to see a workout,we need OL, thats why if we trade up we lose out on 2nd rd OL so if we trade down it gives us more options or else at #9 the best option might be defense

Back
Top Bottom