Ted Ginn Jr. | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ted Ginn Jr.

So..form what i understand, you (Simon) will pick Quin over Ginn if he will be on the board, correct?

And someone who can't gain seperation.

come on boom. i usually agree with you, but how can you say Jarrett cant get separation. i think your falling into the trap of listening to his reported 40 time. Exactly like Fineas thread about 40 time being overrated, Jarrett gained plenty of separation, even on the deep ball. just ask the "best CB" in the draft if he can get separation. while Hall ran a 4.4, during their game, Jarrett was even and Jarrett was leaving. and that was with Halls hips already turned. you know damn well outside of a few guys, you never get to much separation in the NFL. specially when your not running a go route. your always in traffic, and always going to get touched when you catch it. the NFL speed and smarts is to much to just run away from guys.

and you should know boom how much a good possession WR means to a team. how much separation did orande gadsden get? how much did he mean to the team? Jarrett is better then him. maybe not as great hands, but better overall. we dont have one guy on the team that when we throw the ball over the middle, you expect them to catch it. Ginn sure as hell wouldnt be in that category either. you cannot be a successful offense if you can only work outside the #s on the field. outside of just throwing it up to chambers in the endzone, who we going to throw it to in traffic? Ginn sure as hell wouldnt be that target.

Look, I like Ginn. I love his explosiveness. i mean, you dont see to many guys beat the CB by 10 yards. but outside of our need of a PR and KR, he just doesnt fit well for us IMO. and hes still Raw as far as technique, route running and catching the ball. not raw enough to drop him outta the first round, but a little raw. i mean, he did have the heisman trophy winner this year, and he only managed 781 yards. last year with the heisman trophy winner, Jarrett had 1274 yards. agaisnt the same michigan team, Ginn had 104 yards. Jarrett 205. obviously stats dont mean THAT much, but its still there.

And the next season he had 431.

Thank you for painting only half the picture. Glenn missed half a season that year.

and the next 792. .

Thanks for painting only half the picture. In this season, he only played 10 games.

Yes...I'm better than that.

Glenn's recieving total is top 50 all time, ahead of Don Hutson, John Stallworth, Lynn Swann, Mark Clayton, Nat Moore, Frank Gifford, Carmichael, Hirsch, Dante Lavelli, Tommy McDonald, Paul Warfield, etc. So no......you're not better than that.

Yes, Ginn leaving the game seemed to deflate the entire Ohio State team, I really believe that had a lot to with the rout we saw, although I still think Florida wins.

I agree with you mate. Florida were a better coached team and OSU's long lay off didn't help at all. But I think it would have been a lot closer if Ginn had played.

So..form what i understand, you (Simon) will pick Quin over Ginn if he will be on the board, correct?

Yep. If Brady falls to 9, then he's a must pick. I don't think it'll happen, but yes, that's what I'd do.

come on boom. i usually agree with you, but how can you say Jarrett cant get separation. i think your falling into the trap of listening to his reported 40 time. Exactly like Fineas thread about 40 time being overrated, Jarrett gained plenty of separation, even on the deep ball. just ask the "best CB" in the draft if he can get separation. while Hall ran a 4.4, during their game, Jarrett was even and Jarrett was leaving. and that was with Halls hips already turned. you know damn well outside of a few guys, you never get to much separation in the NFL. specially when your not running a go route. your always in traffic, and always going to get touched when you catch it. the NFL speed and smarts is to much to just run away from guys.

and you should know boom how much a good possession WR means to a team. how much separation did orande gadsden get? how much did he mean to the team? Jarrett is better then him. maybe not as great hands, but better overall. we dont have one guy on the team that when we throw the ball over the middle, you expect them to catch it. Ginn sure as hell wouldnt be in that category either. you cannot be a successful offense if you can only work outside the #s on the field. outside of just throwing it up to chambers in the endzone, who we going to throw it to in traffic? Ginn sure as hell wouldnt be that target.

Look, I like Ginn. I love his explosiveness. i mean, you dont see to many guys beat the CB by 10 yards. but outside of our need of a PR and KR, he just doesnt fit well for us IMO. and hes still Raw as far as technique, route running and catching the ball. not raw enough to drop him outta the first round, but a little raw. i mean, he did have the heisman trophy winner this year, and he only managed 781 yards. last year with the heisman trophy winner, Jarrett had 1274 yards. agaisnt the same michigan team, Ginn had 104 yards. Jarrett 205. obviously stats dont mean THAT much, but its still there.

It's a pretty obvious case. Jarrett rarely played press and when he did - Chris Houston - he was held totally in check and became a non factor. Jarrett often played corners that played 10 yards and more off, allowing him a cushion and then he would run past them as they turned or caught the ball in front of them. His pedestrian footspeed means that he can't get off man. The Hall play, was more a fault of the safety, than anything to do with Leon Hall.

And I'm not talking about deep seperation, I'm talking about getting half a yard here and there.

Marty Booker is more than happy to work the middle of the field, and actually a lot of Ginn's work came over the middle on slants, drag in's, digs, etc.

Ted Ginn Jr. is the most over rated player in this years draft. He doesnt have great hands, he isnt very tall, he doesnt run great routes, he doesnt have great jumping ability, and hes not very aggresive.

He has speed and thats about it. the most we could use him for is as a kick retuner or punt returner and drafting a kick returner in the 1st round is just crazy. Miami needs a tall WR who can go up and get the ball.

Plus Miami doesnt even have a QB to throw him the ball! what good would he be if the QB cant throw him the ball? will he suddenly make our QB's play better? and suddenly make our o-line block better?

Miami has more important needs than a "speedy WR"

Ted Ginn Jr. is the most over rated player in this years draft. He doesnt have great hands, he isnt very tall, he doesnt run great routes, he doesnt have great jumping ability, and hes not very aggresive.

His hands are good enough, he's a hair under 6 foot, he doesn't need to run routes like Hines Ward, he had a 40 inch vertical at last years OSU timing day and he's more than aggressive enough.

Other than that, you nailed it.

His hands are good enough, he's a hair under 6 foot, he doesn't need to run routes like Hines Ward, he had a 40 inch vertical at last years OSU timing day and he's more than aggressive enough.

Hes not a physical WR at all. And thats what Miami needs is a tall aggresive WR who can go up and get the ball.

Ted Ginn is not that guy.

Ginn would be a "luxury pick", We have other pressing needs other than a Kick return man.

Why do you need a WR to go up and get the ball, to be a red zone threat?

I hate to break it to you but those receivers really do not have a great track record in the NFL without good speed while guys like Holt, Smith, Moss (Santana), and Marvin Harrison rack up the TDs.

Miami needs a flanker plain and simple, one who has speed and can really put the pressure on the other team. That's Ginn Jr. not Jarrett.

Boomer, thanks for setting all these naysayers straight. It seems everyone has something negative to say about Teddy Ginn but can't substantiate it. It's one thing to have an opnion about a player, but at least support that opinion with some concrete facts. Making bold statements such as "Ginn doesn't have great jumping ability" without even knowing that the guy turned in a 40-inch vertical is just plain ignorant. Anyone that's actually watched Ginn for more than just a few games should know that he's not just a "speed" guy.

Hes not a physical WR at all. And thats what Miami needs is a tall aggresive WR who can go up and get the ball.

Ginn would be a "luxury pick", We have other pressing needs other than a Kick return man.

Actually, what Miami need's is stretch the field speed.

And if you knew what you were talking about, you'd know he was more than a return man.

Ted Ginn is a Burner. His open field speed is unmatched. So he doesn't need to run great routes beeing a burner and a great ST.

Why do you need a WR to go up and get the ball, to be a red zone threat?

I hate to break it to you but those receivers really do not have a great track record in the NFL without good speed while guys like Holt, Smith, Moss (Santana), and Marvin Harrison rack up the TDs.

Miami needs a flanker plain and simple, one who has speed and can really put the pressure on the other team. That's Ginn Jr. not Jarrett.

I have never said anything about D'wayne Jarret.

Ted Ginn would be a reach with the 9th pick anyways, Ginn will probably get picked between picks 12-20

the difference between Marvin harrison and Ted Ginn is, is that Harrison has absultely the best hands in the NFL along with Torry Holt. Ted Ginn doesnt have great hands. And im pretty sure Marvin Harrison and Torry Holt and a couple inches taller than Ginn is.

Now the difference between Ted Ginn and Steve Smith, Steve Smith is very very aggresive and very physical while Ted Ginn is not.

not to mention that Ted Ginn jr. is injury prone anyways

WHY WOULD CBs PLAY 10 YDS OFF A SLOW WR???

It's a pretty obvious case. Jarrett rarely played press and when he did - Chris Houston - he was held totally in check and became a non factor. Jarrett often played corners that played 10 yards and more off, allowing him a cushion and then he would run past them as they turned or caught the ball in front of them. His pedestrian footspeed means that he can't get off man. The Hall play, was more a fault of the safety, than anything to do with Leon Hall.

And I'm not talking about deep seperation, I'm talking about getting half a yard here and there.

Marty Booker is more than happy to work the middle of the field, and actually a lot of Ginn's work came over the middle on slants, drag in's, digs, etc.

I keep hearing all this talk about how slow Jarrett is, but at the same time the same people mention that CBs played him 10 yds off the ball!! EXPLANATION PLEASE!!!

Jarrett is only slow when compared to Ginn. For someone who is supposed to be slow he sure caught a lot of passes for a lot of yards and a lot of touchdowns going against good to very good DBs. I guess his route running is EXCELLENT, for him to gain over 200 yards against a consistently top rated college football team who recruits with the best of the best.

Whoever drafts Jarrett is going to probably get the steal of the draft!! Like one poster noted, there are more slow footed to average (4.5-4.7) WRs in the HALL OF FAME than they are speedsters.

CONCLUSION: Although we all love speed, it takes a lot more than speed to prosper in the NFL. FOOTBALL SMARTS, DETERMINATION, HARD WORK, DESIRE TO BE THE BEST, A GOOD QB, A GOOD OL, AND A GOOD CREATIVE OFFENSIVE SYSTEM HAVE BEEN MORE IMPORTANT TO A WR's SUCCESS IN THE NFL MORE SO THAN HIS 40 TIME!!!!!!!

The only real knock I've heard about Jarrett is regarding "seperation" (aka speed). If he get's into the late 1st round or the 2nd round, I think we should trade up to get him!!!

Back
Top Bottom