Ted Ginn Jr. | Page 32 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ted Ginn Jr.

So what we do for a NT if were going to 3-4 than. even if it's a hybrid 3-4 we still better personnel that we have in the middle right.

There are a number of NT prospects in free agency and the draft. Corey Williams of Green Bay, Isaac Sopoaga of San Francisco, etc. As well as players like Red Bryant from TAMU, etc.

I like chris long, he's an animal. is he a 3-4 DE, I don't know much about him to tell you the truth.

He could be a 3-4 end, but he's more likely a 3-4 SOLB.

What does that do with roth??

I think he has a place in the rotation, but I don't think he's starting material.

any way sedrick ellis takes glenn dorseys place?

Not for me, but he's a very good player nonetheless.

Boomer,

What do you make of the rumored interest in M. Ryan by Miami? Do you think it is geniune or are they pumping him up to solicit trade offers for the 1st overall pick? My guess is that it is a little of both.

Boomer,

What do you make of the rumored interest in M. Ryan by Miami? Do you think it is geniune or are they pumping him up to solicit trade offers for the 1st overall pick? My guess is that it is a little of both.

I think you're probably right, but I would think it's very unbalanced in terms of being pumped up over actually being interested.

If he tells you half the board will come down on him in about three minutes ranting about how awful the pick is.

I think it's an annual tradition. I just wish we had taken Boomer's guy two years ago and drafted Cromartie.

Yup.

Boomer, since we're revisiting last year's draft can you respond with some insight on two items.....

1) Is it true the Dolphins had John Beck rated as the 4th best QB on their board behind Russell, Quinn and Kolb in that order? I know this contradicts some reports........

2) Did the Dolphins try to trade up with KC at the end of the first round offering Chambers and their first second round pick in order to get Quinn? (Cleveland beat them to it by trading with Dallas one spot in front.....)

Lastly, knowing what you now know, should the Dolphins have taken Ginn with the 9th pick? He wasn't even one of the 2 best rookie return men or top 2 rookie WRs this year......

Your well thought out analysis/responses are appreciated..........

We're sitting on one expensive draft pick. What's it going to take at the combine from Dorsey, Long, Long or McFadden to make our pick tradable.

We're sitting on one expensive draft pick. What's it going to take at the combine from Dorsey, Long, Long or McFadden to make our pick tradable.

It is tradeable right now. However, to get a reasonable offer it will probably take an act of god.

He could be a 3-4 end, but he's more likely a 3-4 SOLB.

Have you heard an official height/weight for Long recently? IMO, if the Fins are not confident he can play 3-4 SOLB, they don't draft him with the first pick. Do you believe this to be true? And if so, how do you think Long prepares for this draft? If it truly is the Fins intention to have him play at OLB, I would assume he'd catch wind of it and prepare as such. Drop some weight and try to lower his forty, shuttle etc... Do you agree or disagree?

I think you're probably right, but I would think it's very unbalanced in terms of being pumped up over actually being interested.
Boomer I always appreciate your posts. It's obvious that your sources are good. I'm an O-Line fanatic. Without an O-Line you have no offense. What do your sources tell us about the dolphins plans to address the O-line in general and LT in particular?

Boomer, since we're revisiting last year's draft can you respond with some insight on two items.....

1) Is it true the Dolphins had John Beck rated as the 4th best QB on their board behind Russell, Quinn and Kolb in that order? I know this contradicts some reports........

I'm pretty sure that's not the case. I think if memory serves me, that he was rated 2nd or possibly 3rd. Russell was rated 1st and then Beck. Or Quinn then Beck. But I think they had Beck rated 2nd.

2) Did the Dolphins try to trade up with KC at the end of the first round offering Chambers and their first second round pick in order to get Quinn? (Cleveland beat them to it by trading with Dallas one spot in front.....)

I know from pretty vast conversations with Dave Hyde when he was in London, that Mueller was desperately trying to trade up in to the early 30's, but only to secure Beck. That's the first I've heard about any deal for a) Quinn and b) that involved Chambers. And Hyde had a pretty long sit down with Mueller and he told me some fascinating things, so if that had been on the cards, I think he would have known.

Lastly, knowing what you now know, should the Dolphins have taken Ginn with the 9th pick? He wasn't even one of the 2 best rookie return men or top 2 rookie WRs this year......

Your well thought out analysis/responses are appreciated..........

Hindsight is a beautiful, beautiful thing.

I think Patrick Willis or Darrelle Revis would have been excellent picks. But I also think that when Miami has an offense - when they get the QB situation sorted, when Ronnie's back, when they have another legitimate target at WR and a quality tight end, plus an opening up of the offense, we'll really see what he's made of.

As for returns; if you add in the two touchdowns that were called back against Cleveland and Buffalo and the 52 yarder against Houston, ALL for questionable holding calls, then he's 4th in the league in returns. Which isn't bad. He needs to get stronger in his lower body, which apparently he's doing - his father says he's adding about 10lbs of muscle, he needs to trust his instincts more and he needs better blocking.

I think in a couple of seasons time, he'll be a legitimate 75 catch a season WR with 5/6 combined touchdowns on kicks and punts. At the end of the season he was clearly much more comfortable with all aspects of the game.

I'll tell you this for free; Dorsey is going to blow the doors off the Combine workouts. Why? Because he's very athletic and his short area quickness is superb. With most DT's, as with OT's the 40 yard time is something of an irrelevance. What scouts will look for is that short quickness. The cone drills will be important, change of direction quickness, all that stuff.

As for Chris Long, he needs to show similarly. For him, the 40 time is more important because one of the few knocks on him is speed. Is he quick enough off the edge against NFL RT's consistently. Is he quick enough from SOLB to get to the QB consistently?

Jake Long's footwork will be scrutinised. He's big and strong so he'll lift well and he's great going forwards, so his splits will be good. But moving backwards in drills; how will he do then?

McFadden will have to prove that he can catch consistently and when he's stripped and on the scales, that will be a key. He's very skinny down below and maxed out up top. How does that look? He's 6'2 and 204. How much weight has he added? I suspect he's trying to get into the 215 range. But where has that extra poundage gone? The power in those thighs, where is it? Can he break NFL runs inside? Can he break tackles?

I'm not sure anything makes the pick tradeable because of the way things will fall. If Miami takes Dorsey or Chris Long, St Louis likely takes the one we don't take. Atlanta will probably take McFadden or Ryan. Miami and St Louis are not a threat to take McFadden. Any trade for Darren might come with Atlanta. Dimitroff is from the Belichik/Pioli school. That's where a trade might happen. Kansas City want Jake Long.

Have you heard an official height/weight for Long recently? IMO, if the Fins are not confident he can play 3-4 SOLB, they don't draft him with the first pick. Do you believe this to be true? And if so, how do you think Long prepares for this draft? If it truly is the Fins intention to have him play at OLB, I would assume he'd catch wind of it and prepare as such. Drop some weight and try to lower his forty, shuttle etc... Do you agree or disagree?

I think he's around 272. Although who knows. I think he needs to stay around that weight. He can play SOLB at 270. But he has the frame to add weight if he's going to be a pure DE.

I think he works on his speed and his shuttle times more than anything. He needs to get that timed speed down. A 4.8 at 272.....I'd be a little ho hum on that. But a 4.68 or something of that ilk....now we're talking. I know the margins of time are tiny, but still.

Shawne Merriman was 6043 and 272 at the Combine. At the Pro Day he had a 40 inch vertical - which is ridiculous - ran a 4.64 forty, a 4.21 short shuttle and 25 reps. That's the gold standard for the big SOLB.

Boomer I always appreciate your posts. It's obvious that your sources are good. I'm an O-Line fanatic. Without an O-Line you have no offense. What do your sources tell us about the dolphins plans to address the O-line in general and LT in particular?

At the moment they tell me nothing. New regime means things have changed a little and one of our best contacts was fired in the purge after many years of service. I will tell you this, although it stands for absolutely nothing; that Randy Mueller and Cam Cameron were very, very, very keen on Jake Long. Whether Chris Grier was part of that group that was extremely keen, who knows?

I'm pretty sure that's not the case. I think if memory serves me, that he was rated 2nd or possibly 3rd. Russell was rated 1st and then Beck. Or Quinn then Beck. But I think they had Beck rated 2nd.

I remember the announcers saying that one team actually had Jamarcus rated as a mid round pick last year, and there was some speculation that it was Miami.

I was under the impression that our qb draft board read:

1 - Brady Quinn
2 - John Beck

Of course that was just my impression and is only worth the paper it isn't printed on.

Back
Top Bottom