Tell me what it was like- 1972/73 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tell me what it was like- 1972/73

I remember the Christmas day playoff game in '71, barely. I remember losing to Dallas in SB VI the next year too. But, I was 6 when we beat the Redskins in SB VII and my folks, like a lot of people back in those days had a group of friends that they played cards with, always golfed with, and they usually stayed at the 19th hole til late, whatever. But, I remember they always got together for Super Bowls, World Series games, New Years Bowl games etc and it was usually one of my older sisters that would be in charge of taking everybody's kids out for the day on those occasions. Well, we went bowling during SB VII, but I didn't bowl a frame. I watched it at the bowling alley on their TV. The next year, the SB VIII party was at our house. "Can I stay in one of the back bedrooms Mom and watch it here?" "Nope!" All the kids had to leave and go to one of the other people's house for the day while the adults got lit. I remember shitty Pizza Hut pizza. But, I remember watching Csonka running for 145 like it was yesterday. I'll never forget that day as long as I live.
The 'Sea of Hands' game the following year on the other hand was the hardest loss for me still to this day. End of the dynasty right there. It was cool being a little kid in the 70's.

Last edited:
On a Saturday afternoon in late January 1973, a skinny but fast 12-year-old saw highlights of the his first American football game as one of the three channels in the UK showed extended highlights of Superbowl VII. That was it, the Dolphins were my team helped by the fact I had a cousin who lived in Florida to give some logical reason other than they were the best. The next week the same channel showed the Rosebowl - hooked, despite the fact the highlights of the Superbowl & Rosebowl would be the only football I'd see every year until the new fourth channel started showing highlights every week during the 1982 strike shortened season. We even got to watch the Superbowl live that year, McNeal sliding off Riggins is etched in my memory. That one rainy Saturday afternoon led to time playing in the UK and then coaching in Australia (unpaid of course) and now gamepass means I can watch every game, so I don't want to go back to 1973 other than the Fins bossing the league.

I was 10 years old when they were a Garo gaffe away from a shutout Super Bowl win in their undefeated season…the Great “No Name Defense”…Number one in the NFL and under appreciated historically actually did shut the Redskins out and only allowed 7 points in back to back Super Bowl wins (another fact that gets unappreciated when evaluating the greatness of that amazing team).

I remember the crushing disappointment of Super Bowl 6 and how good it felt to come back and make history in 1972.

I had large posters of Bob Griese and Larry Csonka on my bedroom wall.

The Summer after the Super Bowl 7 win my family moved from Florida to Boone, North Carolina. Coincidentally….in my 6th grade class was the niece of Bob Matheson…great Dolphin “no namer” and number “53” of the “53 defense fame”.

That year of course we repeated as world champions reaching a then unprecedented 3rd straight Super Bowl.

The greatness of those teams is etched forever in my memory!

I can tell you First hand those were the Best times ever to be a Dolphins Fan. I became a Dolphins Fan on Christmas Day 1971, on this Day, our Beloved Dolphins
won the longest game in NFL history.

I have been an absolute Diehard Dolphins fan ever since. All my Family and Friends have always known how crazy I am about my Dolphins. I still to this day frequently wear Dolphins apparel year round.

I have traveled all over to see them play starting in 1975 with trips to Baltimore with my Dad, we attended many games together. Our last game together was Marino’s Retirement game in 2000 against the Ravens, who we beat in an absolute gully washer Tropical Storm. RIP Dad🙏

I truly want this Team to become Great again so all you long suffering Fans can get to experience what us old Timers were treated to.

What was it like?

I expected that we would win... every game. It was the era of running the ball, and all the teams that I favored ran the ball really well.
It was a smashmouth time for football. You lined up and punched the other guy in the mouth, and if you were bigger... and stronger, you won.

Safeties were different then as well. Most of the best ones played Center field-- having fewer coverage responsibilities. They weren't as fast as today's safeties, instead relying more on savvy and the ability to lower the boom on anything that came near them.

Jake Scott, Dick Anderson... the Blackwood brothers... all were this kind of safety, none of them could run with today's game.

The team was obviously great but for a kid being in the Orange Bowl, now that was surreal. Every game was sold out w 80,000 standing fans screaming or waving the Rick Weaver, Dolphins radio voice, inspired white hankie! Most of the time it was hard to see the field. The electricity was amazing.
Fast forward to adulthood, my wife’s first game at the OB I took her to was the 85 Bears game!
Us old timers have some really great memories that have kept us loyal all these years. Hang in there those who are younger, happy days will be here again!
My Corvette’s license tag here in Colorado is Phnsup!
That Bears game in 85 was what got me hooked on The Dolphins!

I have always loved the colors.
seemed like they wore the White uniforms more at home, maybe the sun effect with heat ?
it almost seems like these helmets had no padding in this pictures, and the face mask resemble
some from Road Warrior.
I was 11 and my team was perfect 🤩
1656704754665.jpeg

I was born in 1974 so of course did not get to see that great team play. I like to hear stories of where you were, what it was like, what did you do/ buy in the aftermath of the Super Bowl wins.

I was 10 when they last played in the Super Bowl and I was a kid just out playing with friends when I went into a friend's house and his dad had the game on. I of course was not a big football or Dolphins fan yet, but I can remember cheering for them with his dad for a few minutes at least before rejoining my friends outside.

I hope to hear better stories than that!
It’s funny I was born in 1964 and I first started like in the Dolphins in 1972 and it had nothing to do with them being undefeated and winning the Super Bowl it was because I liked the dolphin on the helmet

I was born in 1974 so of course did not get to see that great team play. I like to hear stories of where you were, what it was like, what did you do/ buy in the aftermath of the Super Bowl wins.

I was 10 when they last played in the Super Bowl and I was a kid just out playing with friends when I went into a friend's house and his dad had the game on. I of course was not a big football or Dolphins fan yet, but I can remember cheering for them with his dad for a few minutes at least before rejoining my friends outside.

I hope to hear better stories than that!
And I have to admit I wish they would bring those old helmets back with the helmet on the dolphin because I think the helmets and the decal what’s on there right now with out the helmet on the dolphin it looks gay

Back
Top Bottom