Terrelle Smith Lobbies Against Rob Konrad?? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Terrelle Smith Lobbies Against Rob Konrad??

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
this in a FloridaToday column...

Terrelle Smith, who was Ricky Williams' fullback in New Orleans, has a message for the Dolphins:
"And you can put this in bold letters," he said. "He needs a fullback here or he won't be as productive."

Smith, who wears No. 44 for the Saints, apparently wasn't that impressed with his Miami counterpart, Rob Konrad.

"I seen the display Konrad put out there for him," Smith said. "He doesn't realize who he's blocking for. Put it how you want, man."

I'd be lying if I said that this doesn't give me cause for concern...

It brings up an interesting point though. Everyone knows that Rob Konrad is more suited for the Norv Turner offense than Deon Dyer is. However, is Deon Dyer more suited for Ricky Williams as a runner?

At the risk of repeating myself, I believe that Moose Johnson was a blocker first and a reciever second. I know everyone is saying that a FB in Norv's system MUST be a good pass catcher, but I remember Moose as a devastating blocker who helped Emmitt become the runner who he is or was(at that time I was a Cowboy fan). For me, I want to see the blocking first and then the pass catching. If that meant that Dyer would be the man, then so be it. When you change systems as much as we have over the last few years or so then your gonna have guys who aren't suited for what the current coordinator wants to do. Konrad may be a guy who is in a situation like that. I know Konrad has improved on his blocking, but I'm not sure if he gets it done. I've seen safeties 25lbs lighter stand him up and nullify a play. I think we are in a quandry with Konrad. We've seen some flashes this preseason of what he can do, but we also don't have the running game we are hoping for with Williams. Some of it is the line and some of it is the FB. Maybe if we play both Konrad and Dyer with the first team offense this saturday we will see who helps the running game the most.

:) :) :)

I'll give you an example of what happens when you don't have a fullback that can block........Eddie George last season.

Humm..Interesting...maybe that's why we picked up the new fullback..I won't even try to pronunce his name.

George...yeah the toe injury had nothing to do with his poor season.

Oh yeah, he didn't even have a FB at all. Pretty big diff there man. I know what you're saying but that's a bad example.

Originally posted by ckparrothead

Is it possible that this guy would say negative stuff about Miami's FB no matter who he is?

Conrad is doing fine and he is a better blocker than people give him credit for.

Thank you T. Smith.

I've been listening to Wanny and Norv say good things about Rob Konrad the past couple of weeks. The media analysts, and fans (on this MB and others), have not seen the problem. But you have identified it with your great insight and have chosen to provide that wisdom to us.

I'm glad that you are not concerned (as your coaches apparently are) with M. Norris taking your starting job - so that you can concentrate on Rob's performance during the game, rather than your own.

At least you can say that S. Sharp has nothing on you when it comes to big time NFL trash mouths!

Pleeeeaaaaassssse!

Originally posted by ckparrothead

CK - We know that you don't care much for Konrad, along with several other players, but this comment from T Smith gives you reason to be concerned????? Konrad beat out Dyer for two years in Chan Gailey's "The FB blocks" system. He may not be the best blocking FB around, but he gets the job done, and I dare say that T Smith is talking from his A$$.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
Humm..Interesting...maybe that's why we picked up the new fullback..I won't even try to pronunce his name.

I thought that we picked up Femi to be a "well rounded" FB. He is really a Tweener FB/TB and weighs only 225. I saw him get dumped on his duff and man-handled in the TB game. Also, after much speculation soon after he was brought on board, all I've read is about his Special Teams play. Still a big mystery to me.

We are blowing this out of proportion...Konrad will block or Deon or Ayanbendajo will...We will be fine once the season starts...:evil:

Re: Re: Terrelle Smith Lobbies Against Rob Konrad??

Originally posted by jack

CK - We know that you don't care much for Konrad, along with several other players, but this comment from T Smith gives you reason to be concerned????? Konrad beat out Dyer for two years in Chan Gailey's "The FB blocks" system. He may not be the best blocking FB around, but he gets the job done, and I dare say that T Smith is talking from his A$$.

Thats bs right there if I've ever heard it. If anything I've been a Konrad DEFENDER for the past COUPLE of years. I still think there's no question why he's the starter in the Norv Turner offense. He just plain fits better than Deon Dyer. However the point I brought up is that Ricky, as a power runner, might need a more powerful blocker than Konrad may be in order to really show his potential. Its possible. I won't deny the possibility is all. While Ricky may fit the Norv offense real well, and while Konrad may fit the Norv offense real well, its possible that Konrad doesn't fit what Ricky Williams' running style needs...and therefore unless we accomodate that, Ricky himself might not fit Norv's system. I'm just admitting the possibility, brought up by a criticism coming from a fellow position player....and it is quite rare let me tell you. There aren't many guys who, even if they are really thinking it, will just come right out and say that the guy on the other team playing at their position doesn't know what the runningback he's blocking for needs. And Terrelle is in a unique position to know just how Ricky likes his blocking.

I'm sure RW likes his fullback to clear whoever is in the way out of the way.

Pretty simple.

Originally posted by PhinKev
Conrad is doing fine and he is a better blocker than people give him credit for.

You mean like when Bryan Cox said "Konrad couldn't block his way out of a paper bag"?

Back
Top Bottom