Terrible WR signings

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Wvu3737, Mar 13, 2018.

1. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

I keep reading that we're trying to be a smarter team...does that mean we're going to draft based on wonderlic scores? Only going to draft players who earned a degree? This isn't a job of academia, this is football you can be dumb as rocks and still be good because you just know how to play football or you're just physically gifted. I think they call it instincts or just having natural ability.

Landry had 400 catches while not being very smart apparently, what would he have done if he was a smarter player?....500? Maybe if he was smarter he could have applied to be the OC and stopped calling unsucessful bubble screens and 5 yard routes for himself, so people can stop saying 8.8 like a pep rally chant.

JRYCRL, Jimi, ForksPhin and 1 other person like this.
  2. Wvu3737

Wvu3737 Member

Ignorance is bliss with some of the people on this board. We're the laughing stock of social media right now. Everyone knows our MO and we do it like clockwork. We should make a run at Jordy Nelson too while were at it. I'm sure And I said "I'm done with this team" as in I can't take anymore, not that I'm leaving as a fan. Thoroughly frustrated by the incompetence year after year. It's not Landry's fault Gase was one of the most conservative play callers in the NFL last year and that he signed off on bringing in Cutler. Bubble Screens seem to work..NOT. The personnel we had last year (Stills, Grant, Parker) was more than enough to stretch the field if he wanted to. Lets see how good Tannehill does now without Landry and a lack of a TE. I'm not trying to be the bad guy here. I'm just trying to be realistic.

3. JEDIJ007

JEDIJ007 It's a trap! Finheaven VIP

should have offered something to nelson rather then amendola.

JRYCRL likes this.
  4. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

Not Landry's fault. Lol

5. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

"Football intelligence."

It's a phrase coaches use to encompass things like a player's ability to learn the playbook, read and recognize quickly what's happening on the field, and respond appropriately in game situations. And it has nothing necessarily to do with a player's book smarts, or IQ, or anything like that. Absorb, understand, and make use of information in real time while a guy is trying to take your head off. And avoid making mistakes. Some guys are better at it than others.

The coach complained loudly about players not studying the playbook and understanding it to be ready for game situations. The fans have complained loudly about players making bonehead mistakes all the time.

They're trying to get smarter and I appreciate that. If Adam Gase is going to sink or swim, he should sink or swim with guys who fit the mold of what he wants as football players, and that is guys who are dedicated to football and can apply coaching lessons on the field, rather than the most physically talented guys.

If it works, then we will all be happy. If it doesn't work, he will be fired. Either way, the coach will get a chance to do it his way with his guys.

6. royalshank

royalshank Not a Game-Changer Finheaven VIP Donator

10-6 in 2016 and playoffs so yes. Last year was all on Cutler sucking.

Chuck-182 and Jimi like this.
  7. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

Social media? I sure hope the sun comes up tomorrow.

*Demi*God*, andyahs and rickd13 like this.
  8. royalshank

royalshank Not a Game-Changer Finheaven VIP Donator

I agree this is what he’s doing. I didn’t get it until the Amendola signing. That signing is about smarts and veteran leadership in the WR room.

9. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

I thought football was a team game.

*Demi*God* likes this.
  10. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

I get what you're saying I just find it odd that Landry is being portrayed as a guy who didn't study the playbook and so forth yet was never benched or reprimanded for doing his own thing, instead he was rewarded by being made the focal point of the offense.

I don't believe this is just about football intelligence I think it's probably about personality clashes more than anything.

Jimi likes this.
  11. ForksPhin

ForksPhin Scout Team

We're definitely adding some scrubs to the roster, so.....

12. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Reading Is Fundamental Donator

Exactly this. I was going to post something similar, but you beat me to the punch.

13. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater Not Quite A Shredder Finheaven VIP

I definitely thought "HUH??" when i heard we signed Amendola. I wasn't happy about it...I guess it all depends on how the passing game pans out. If it's what we envisioned when Gase first got here with Tannehill at his best, then I'd love to be proven wrong. Do what needs to be done, they know better than me and god knows the current WR corps was not lighting the world on fire.

Time to change the old avatar...

circumstances likes this.
  14. SmokyFin

SmokyFin Starter

So I guess they're basically saying Caroo is a total bust...

finitis23, royalshank and ForksPhin like this.
  15. miamidolphins83

miamidolphins83 Well-Known Member

How does Tannenbum have a job? He traded more for Caroo then he received outright for Landry.

JRYCRL, superphin and royalshank like this.
  16. PBay Fin Fan

PBay Fin Fan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Jay Cutler signing was bad, hindsight is 20/20. I was all for it, gave me hope for last year but it blew up in our face. Carroo may in fact be a bust. Grant is going to be good. Coach Gase was constantly calling players out for not studying the playbook and freelancing. DO YOUR JOB. I think a pretty successful coach said this. Let it play out before we hold hands and jump off the bridge. I still trust Gase, I still think Tannenbaum is incompetent.

17. circumstances

circumstances Starter Finheaven VIP

Actually, how do you get anything for a receiver on a 16 million dollar one year deal? Anyone able to do that deserves a spot on a float in a parade somewhere.

*Demi*God* likes this.
  18. FanMarino

FanMarino HOF Pass Master

You do realise the Phins have signed 2 players that can contribute? I'm only asking because your post says you are done with the team. I've supported the Phins since 1985. I was spoilt in the 1st 10yrs plus. Don't ever say "I'm done with this team". I've seen t-rex crap built up to a total crap mountain the last decade but I'm hanging in there. My golden days were Marino, Offerdahl, Duper, Blackwoods, Clayton, Jensen, Thomas, JT, Stephenson, Sims, Webb, Williams, Byars, Surtain, Fryar, Madison.....the list goes on. We go on. I won't ever post saying "im done with this team". That's snowflake b.s. at its finest. Yes the team sucks but what's new in the last decade? Nothing. We made playoffs once lately so a few player moves shouldn't make you dismiss the team as a fan. Seriously? Keep the faith.

*Demi*God*, Stoobz and circumstances like this.
  19. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs UCF 13-0 Finheaven VIP Donator

Maybe he would have had a better understanding of the playbook and shown a dedication to studying opponents. Instead, he had a **** ton of catches with not a whole lot else to show for it

*Demi*God* and Stoobz like this.
  20. SCLSU Mud Dogs

The #Ravens are expected to sign #Redskins FA WR Ryan Grant, source said. It’s a 4-year deal worth $29M with $14.5M guaranteed, source said. He gets a $10M signing bonus.

Albert Wilson is younger than Grant and has put up better numbers than Grant. So are the Ravens dumb for making that contract offer for a longer deal and more guaranteed money?

21. SmokyFin

SmokyFin Starter

Amendola OR Wilson would be fine. I just don't get signing both when you already have Stills, Parker, Grant and Caroo.

22. circumstances

I was just about to post this.

Let's add rotos take on it:

Ravens agreed to terms with WR Ryan Grant, formerly of the Redskins, on a four-year, $29 million contract.

The deal contains $14.5 million guaranteed, including a $10 million signing bonus. This is a real head-scratcher and reeks of desperation from GM Ozzie Newsome, who promised to overhaul the receiving corps, only to whiff on every other big name available. Grant, entering his age-28 year, came into 2017 with 39 career catches for 412 yards and two scores before "breaking out" for a 45-573-4 line last season. He's the new default No. 1 receiver in Baltimore."

If it was Tannenbaum and not Newsome this place's collective head would have exploded.

fin415, *Demi*God* and Stoobz like this.
  23. circumstances

Because Stills and Parker are the only two starting caliber receivers you mentioned, Parker has an injury history, and we're in three wide the vast majority of the time?

*Demi*God* likes this.
  24. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Tannenbaum screwed the Jets and he's doing the same to us. Ross was a total buffoon for bringing him in.

25. SmokyFin

SmokyFin Starter

Yes, but why not draft one at some point instead in the mid-rounds and use the money given to one of these new FA receivers to another position like OL or elsewhere?

ForksPhin likes this.
  26. circumstances

If the board falls that way we still might draft WR(s), and if there are other positions we like in this FA class I'm sure we'll be making more offers.

27. SCLSU Mud Dogs

And vice versa, why sign an OL to a bloated contract when you can draft one?

circumstances likes this.
  28. Pitbull13

Pitbull13 Pitbull13

You didn't see Amandola play in the playoffs did you?

Danny68 likes this.
  29. Third Eye

Third Eye Scout Team Finheaven VIP

I guess this rules out Ridley in the first round.

30. andyahs

Yes you are.

fininpsl and *Demi*God* like this.
  31. PSU Cane

PSU Cane Starter

Trying to be a smart team is fine.....but what about being a physically skilled and diverse team with weapons to challenge any defense?

Signing Wilson - $8M seems steep but i get it. He was Landry's replacement. 5'9 and extremely quick for the slot. I felt the per year salary is much too high for a slot WR3 (although i admit i haven't seen guaranteed money) that is easier to replace than outside WR or other position, especially for a guy who is still unproven. I read his drop% is ~4%, which also seems high for a guy catching screen and short passes. But whatever. Then to double down with another slot in Amendola? Call me baffled. Another slot guy at 5'11 who's hurt a lot and only plays ~50% snaps at 32 years of age, while also guaranteeing him the amount of money they did? Plus Grant is still on the roster. Most teams carry 6 WRs....and we're going to carry 3 slots? Carroo and Stills are 6'1, Parker is 6'3. We have no size and no physicality out wide because Parker doesn't play big.

Is T-Failurebom trying to replicate the NE Patriots? He's missing a big piece....Tom Brady. Having a few quick guys is fine, but you also need so guys with a bigger catch radius who can body off DBs, beat press coverage, catch fades, etc. I still don't understand the identity and direction of this team/roster.

32. Fintastic17

Fintastic17 A True Fan

15 mil per 50 mil guaranteed. Gtfoh

33. Al13

Al13 Don´t mess with Clint

this is what i preach for years...put a limit at maybe 100-150 posts to be able to start threads....thats a way to prohibit bullshit like his.....

sunworshipper likes this.
  34. fininpsl

fininpsl A True Fan Donator

IMHO our WR corp is starting to look more like the Pats WR corp. They are always playing with a bunch of slot type WRs. Now we need the stud seam threat TE to complement these guys. If Parker plays close to his potential we are looking really strong at the position.

35. Brumdog45

Brumdog45 A True Fan

And better question....did the offense produce with Landry?

I like Landry. But at the end of the day, he had only one year in his career where he topped 7 yards per target. Wilson topped that three times in four years and last year was over at 9 yards per target.

The Amendola signing I'm not in love with, but I do like Wilson quite a bit.

36. Brumdog45

Brumdog45 A True Fan

And for those using Stills as a negative.....I don't know what to say. In the past two years he's been targeted 186 times and has 1,573 yards. The past season Landry was targeted about 20 times less and had less than 1,000 yards.

Again, I like Landry...but our offense really wasn't going anywhere with him. Doesn't mean that was his fault, but don't think a successful offense can be achieved with the kind of throws we use that get him 112 catches.

fininpsl likes this.
  37. CaSh

CaSh Nothing bigga than the B

Looking back at it there's no excusing that Ajayi trade. Basically we created a major hole because Gase was mad.

38. andyahs

Say what?

Kthurmus23 likes this.
  39. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I do not get these damn whiners they act like we have only one winning season and playoff appearance in the last decade.

40. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

Gase straight up called him out for this during the season. Remember the Friday presser after the Ravens beatdown when he called out the team's "best players" and then Landry went on the block before the trade deadline?

Who did you think he was calling out? ONLY Ajayi?