Texans may be good in their first year (or good for an expansion team) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Texans may be good in their first year (or good for an expansion team)

iceblizzard69

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Damn, did anyone see the players some teams left unprotected? Two of the best tackles in the league (Boselli and Roaf), two good WR (Alexander and McCardell), an ok QB (Blake), the best KR in the league (Jermaine Lewis) and some other pretty good players were left unprotected. The Texans might not be the worst team in the league if they take these guys, and some of the better guys available as well.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
Damn, did anyone see the players some teams left unprotected? Two of the best tackles in the league (Boselli and Roaf), two good WR (Alexander and McCardell), an ok QB (Blake), the best KR in the league (Jermaine Lewis) and some other pretty good players were left unprotected. The Texans might not be the worst team in the league if they take these guys, and some of the better guys available as well.

Why did the Jags leave Boselli unprotected?

Boselli has been injured a lot the last two years, and his cap number is huge. He will be selected, the Texans have already said that. It also appears that since they will be taking Boselli, that they will go QB with the first pick in the draft, and that means that Carolina will go DT with the number two pick.

That leaves everyone's favorite tackle available at the number three spot.

AFAIK they are still required to be under the cap, so they can only take a few of the big contract players that are being unloaded on them and still field a 53 man team. Typically a team made up of lots of high-priced veterans just signed as FA will suck, but since they are an expansion team they may be any worse that a regular bad team like the Bills.

I was going to make this post also, I was thinking the same thing iceblizzard is thinking. If they can get a few of these big names and fix their contracts up a bit and spend their money smartly, because they still need money to sign the college kids they draft. I look for Houston to make a impact on the league, if not in the first year they will in at least 3 years.

Originally posted by eckerdguy
and fix their contracts up a bit and spend their money smartly
that's a if;)

Originally posted by eckerdguy
I was going to make this post also, I was thinking the same thing iceblizzard is thinking. If they can get a few of these big names and fix their contracts up a bit and spend their money smartly, because they still need money to sign the college kids they draft. I look for Houston to make a impact on the league, if not in the first year they will in at least 3 years.

They have 72 million to spend, they can have whoever they want.

Expansion teams get TOO much!! That was very evident with the Carolina Panthers and Jacksonville Jaguars! The both made it to the their Conference championships in their 2nd year! Look at Cleveland, they are pretty competative already! Now seeing what is available to the TEXANs ticks me off! What happened to the old days when expansion teams went through growing pains??Build your expansion team slowly through the COLLEGE draft process. Back in the days of the Phins,Falcons, Bucs and Seahawks, the expansion players they got were guys that barely made the club!Nowadays,they are getting PRO-BOWL IMPACT players and they are vying for the Super Bowl in one or two years! I just don't think it's fair!:yell:

Originally posted by dolfan87
Boselli has been injured a lot the last two years, and his cap number is huge. He will be selected, the Texans have already said that. It also appears that since they will be taking Boselli, that they will go QB with the first pick in the draft, and that means that Carolina will go DT with the number two pick.

That leaves everyone's favorite tackle available at the number three spot.

Neither Harrington or Carr are #1 overall material.

. Back in the days of the Phins,Falcons, Bucs and Seahawks, the expansion players they got were guys that barely made the club!Nowadays,they are getting PRO-BOWL IMPACT players and they are vying for the Super Bowl in one or two years! I just don't think it's fair!:yell: [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree, it's not fair, but understandable considering the money you have to pay for a team, coaches etc etc... The NFL will insure the success of any expansion team. They will make sure the "new" teams stadium is filled and generating money. The NFL is all about money and image, which go hand in hand if balanced properly.
In the long run the team spending caps have continued to play into the hands of the owners. Obviously, if a very wealthy individual or group decides to start/buy a team he/they intend to make money, and most likely, alot of it.
Now we have teams trying to dump players due to their cap hit, not necessarly their playing ability. But this is the game the players union has agreed upon.

BB

I hope the do one trade with Miami

Originally posted by dolphan39
here's another article on this: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news/ap/20020123/ap-texans-expansion.html

Phinmaster1354 - this is just the reality of the cap and football in 2002.

Houston can do some interesting things if they draft and trade some of these guys....

Draft Roaf, Boselli and or McDaniel and trade a combo of the two to us for some draft picks..

It is the team who decides who goes in the expansion draft, not the NFL. The Texans are lucky that they will get to pick out of all this talent available.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
It is the team who decides who goes in the expansion draft, not the NFL. The Texans are lucky that they will get to pick out of all this talent available.

Thats true, but based on what the NFL allows. The NFL (owners) only agree to expansion if it does'nt hurt them on the bottom line. And especially if it does both, increase profits,and does'nt cost. Expansion drafts are a terrific way for an owner to force his team to cut player costs, but , there is a risk of losing a ticket selling player.
And thats what bothers me, we can no longer marry our favorite players. Tomorrow or whenever, due to costs, their gone.

BB

Back
Top Bottom