Texans trading for Tunsil and Stills (Merged X3) | Page 52 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Texans trading for Tunsil and Stills (Merged X3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tunsil has been selected to the pro bowl and was a first team all pro. I can't name five LT's that I'd rather have. Can you?
No, he hasn’t. Check his pro football reference page. Any season that occurred he would have an asterisk for pro bowl selection and a plus appears if he were all pro. You are just looking at the key.

People think chess grandmasters can see thirty moves ahead and they never make a move until they know exactly how the whole game's going to end. That's just not the way it is. They are simply good at evaluating positions. If the position is good, they don't need to know exactly how to finish it. They know they'll figure it out when the time comes.

It's the same here. Flexibility is a huge asset and some folks just don't get it. With our present position we can move up for a QB next year, move up for a QB in two years, or rally behind Rosen and build him a heck of a team. This idea that they already know exactly what they're going to do is ridiculous. There are so many factors they can't control it would be a waste of time and energy to do so. They simply know they have a great position and they'll have many ways of bringing it home.

The best summary of what to do to make a competitive NFL team I've seen.

Identifying that there are too many factors to control and reducing the Front Office functions to "do what we can for now with an eye to our foreseeable future" is, IMO, exactly the right kind of structure for team building. The devil is in the details, but a consistent team building structure has to be in place before you try to deal with those details (player attitude, immaturity, ability to move from college to NFL playing, self discipline, injury, hurricanes, coaching skill and ineffective but intrusive ownership).

The actions of our current Front Office have addressed what's the most we can do for now and the future with the draft and trades. The next step is going to be what can the coaches do with what we have and against who we play.

It should be obvious at this point is that this is when you look to free agency to make as many minor corrections as you can. FA major corrections are too expensive and too limited in what they can achieve; in a sport that requires such a high degree of teamwork to be effective.

A recent trade reminds me of a line from "the right stuff". Front Office to ownership "Houston, we have a problem!"

EXTREMELY reductionist logic that shows zero understanding of Pareto optimization. Whether Rosen is the franchise or not (currently unknown), the optimization principal would allow strategic actors to make an optimal decision (in this case huge compensation for a decent WR and a pretty good LT), still with the Pareto parameters of it possibly detracting from a previous choice or belief (in this case whether Rosen is the goods or not). In fact, strategic actors in business, wartime environs, and even courtrooms often can make decisions or choices where they believe garners more potential advantage even to the detriment of other highly valued decision calculus. While no one on this board is skilled enough to evaluate a QB at the NFL level or they would not be a message board pirate, we can apply Pareto logic and should all be intelligent enough to understand the basics of applying Pareto distributions and decision in one area can be weighed as is vice in strategic connection with outcomes we do not have data for.

I am shocked tha the simple idea of trading a good LT somehow cannot be seen through an optimization prism that may not be highly correlated to the decision prism at the Qb position. This is really basic stuff from a betting, econometric analysis, and even algorithmic roster building (aka what commoners call money ball). Lets try to do better and apply more nuanced rigor then falling into the simpleton trap of "oh they trade LT must not like QB."
What kind of drugs are you taking? I need some of that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom