The 2019 season #TankForTua superthread: 0-5

uk_dolfan

#TankForTua
Super Donator
Reaction score

Welcome to the 2019 Finheaven Tanking for Tua superthread. Today is a special day. Not only do we start our season today, we also officially launch Chris Grier's #TankForTua masterplan.

We have tried to keep most of the Tua talk in relevant sections, but now that the season is upon us, I think its time for a more centralised discussion.

Are you all in on Tanking for Tua? Are you related to Josh Rosen and thus would prefer to tell off the Tua enthusiasts? Tell us here! If you want to actually break down mechanics/tape? Your thoughts would be very welcome in the draft forum.

The road to Vegas begins today*

*If the team wants to go on a magic run to the Superbowl, win a ring and then trade up for Tua? That would also be acceptable

Last edited:

uk_dolfan

#TankForTua
Super Donator
Reaction score
I will start us off - my thoughts are pretty simple. I am 100% in on Tanking For Tua and am more than willing to sacrifice what was looking like yet another miserable 6-10/5-11 season to get him.

We were not going anywhere this season and as a longtime member of this forum, it has been crystal clear that nobody enjoys going 6-10. I am not interested in sitting on this site in November reading threads which explain how if we win all of our remaining games, the Bills lose all of theirs, the Steelers get thrown out of the league for making fun of the NFL Logo, the Jets draw three times and the Patriots lose by exactly 154-67 then the Dolphins might sneak into the wildcard slots via a coin toss. Some of you may disagree, but in my opinion this season is going nowhere and I am more than happy to go 2-14 instead of 6-10 if it gets us the first pick instead of the eleventh pick.

I have had no hope for this franchise since the day Ryan went down and we replaced him with Cutler. Its been a miserable experience ever since. Rightly or wrongly, I have zero faith that either Rosen or Fitzpatrick is the guy. Some people seem to have hope that Rosen might magically step up and become a decent starting QB...but so what? That isn't enough. I believed in Ryan until he wrecked his knee, he was a good starting QB. But I am sick of waiting for this team to put a complete roster around a good QB, if you don’t have that (and we are a hell of a long way from there) a good starter isn't enough. You need someone who has the potential to be top 10 qb, to be a foundational piece who elevates the roster around him…. Does anyone genuinely believe Josh Rosen is that guy? Just because we threw a 2nd round pick at him on what looked a lot like a whim?

Tua is not a sure thing, no player is. But he does bring hope and the potential to be a transformative guy - I haven’t even had hope in several years. Tanking For Tua is about bringing hope to this franchise. I love watching Tua play. I don’t just want to find ‘a guy’ I want a chance at finding ‘the guy’ and I think that's what Tua could be. In previous years I desperate for the Fins to find a way to draft Baker Mayfield, but had zero interest in taking a chance on someone like Rosen or Trubisky. Maybe Tua wont be transformative like Mayfield and if he isn't? Then we keep looking until we find someone who is.

I am banging the drum for Tua, but I do still have sympathy for the match going fans who have paid to attend games this season . I flew from the UK to New York just to watch the Dolphins last year - a game that I never expected us to actually win and I know that spending money to watch you expect to be a bad team is far from fun. But at the end of the day? We are talking about what might have been a 5-11 team a month ago ending up 2-14 instead - it's not like anyone is calling for us to sacrifice genuine playoff opportunities for Tua.

This team should Tank for Tua, I don’t have any doubts. If we go on a magic run to the playoffs? Awesome - feel free to ridicule me for this thread. But if we end up going 6-10, coming third in the division, missing the playoffs by a mile and everyone still being unhappy about the outcome of the season whilst wondering what DE we will take with the 11th pick? Well I will be gutted and being able to say “ atleast we got those three extra wins” whilst we watch the Bengals take Tua will not make me feel any better.

Last edited:

uk_dolfan

#TankForTua
Super Donator
Reaction score
Grier and master plan shouldn't be used in the same sentence.
Hey, I am a longtime Grier-sceptic. But if this front office is genuinely tanking for Tua rather than simply doing a bad job at attempting to be competitive in the short term (and I admit that isn't impossible to imagine) then I applaud them for it.

finomenal

Finheaven VIP
Reaction score
It's #TankForTua season, and I'm ready for it! Rooting for our first "win" today. I want the young guys to show improvement. I want to see a few gems from the undrafted free agent pool (Preston, Shaq, etc). I want Flores to show he's a good coach. Limit mental mistakes, don't get embarrassed, but that will be unavoidable some weeks. Week 2 should be a blowout with Tom & Antonio coming into town.

We're currently tied for the #2 spot, a half game behind the Bears lol...go Dolphins!

:woot:

finomenal

Finheaven VIP
Reaction score
Grier and master plan shouldn't be used in the same sentence.
He's actually built a good track record over the last 4 years since he's had final say. Look at the draft and the way we're locking players up early now instead of waiting until free agency. I don't blame you for still being skeptical, though. It's the Dolphins after all.

ANUFan

Super Duper Club
Reaction score
Feel "dirty" entering this thread.

But i get the need. Hopefully the Dolphins don't screw it up by winning north of 4 games. Which by the way i believe they will.

ANUFan

Super Duper Club
Reaction score
He's actually built a good track record over the last 4 years since he's had final say. Look at the draft and the way we're locking players up early now instead of waiting until free agency. I don't blame you for still being skeptical, though. It's the Dolphins after all.
A lot of folks can't see a good GM if he hit them right on the arase..The guy has done a fine job especially this season with everything. The biggest mishap, and we won't know until the end, is giving up a 2nd for Rosen.
Our books and draft capital has never been at such a primum.

If he and Co. can bat at least .500 with the draft stuff and FA stuff(assuming the land they QB pick) then this team is going to be in position for playoff berth every year.

Last edited:

finomenal

Finheaven VIP
Reaction score
A lot of folks can't see a good GM if he hit them right on the arase..The guy has done a fine job especially this season with everything. The biggest mishap, and we won't know until the end, is giving up a 2nd for Rosen.
We're a beaten down fanbase. It'll take a while for everyone to trust the front office again. The 2nd for Rosen isn't a mishap imo no matter what.

They're paying him peanuts, and the 2nd rounder they gave up wasn't fully lost. It was deferred to next year. They essentially got Rosen for a late round pick and a trade down of roughly 25 spots in the 2nd round this year (depending how well the Saints do this year). Worth it to kick the tires of a 22 year old top 10 prospect at the league's most important position.

ANUFan

Super Duper Club
Reaction score
We're a beaten down fanbase. It'll take a while for everyone to trust the front office again. The 2nd for Rosen isn't a mishap imo no matter what.

They're paying him peanuts, and the 2nd rounder they gave up wasn't fully lost. It was deferred to next year. They essentially got Rosen for a late round pick and a trade down of roughly 25 spots in the 2nd round this year (depending how well the Saints do this year). Worth it to kick the tires of a 22 year old top 10 prospect at the league's most important position.
IMO, The only way the 2nd rounder for Rosen lives up is under 2 real scenarios

1) He becomes the guy..He shows something in the next 16 games that says he's a franchise QB
2) We trade him at some point and he nets more than we paid for him.

The "cheap" backup label doesn't fly for me.

Top Bottom