The 2022 Running Back Debate | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 2022 Running Back Debate

We have to assume that a McDaniel offense is going to be close to a carbon copy of the Shanahan offense. The play calling may differ, but the scheme is going to be pretty much the same.

Philosophically the Niners have not drafted RB very high(unless i am forgetting someone).

The Shanahan offense seems to me to be more about OL play in the running game than the backs.There are RB traits they value, particularly speed and vision.

They seem to value speed, probably lean more toward James Cook.
I'd be fine with a Cook and Robinson duo in Miami. I think Robinson may be the most powerful running back from this class.

We have to assume that a McDaniel offense is going to be close to a carbon copy of the Shanahan offense. The play calling may differ, but the scheme is going to be pretty much the same.

Philosophically the Niners have not drafted RB very high(unless i am forgetting someone).

The Shanahan offense seems to me to be more about OL play in the running game than the backs.There are RB traits they value, particularly speed and vision.

they took Sermon in the 3rd. Here's Mikes list

Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 11.43.25 PM.png

You are correct, they look for RB’s that run sub 4.4 and are 1 cut outside zone runners. Tyler Allgeier fits that profile to a T.

They also run a lot of 21 personnel, which employs 2 RB’s (usually a FB) and 2 Wrs. If they do indeed hire McDaniel, I don’t see Gesicki being resigned.

I also see a totally different Oline, one that’s extremely athletic. So kindley, Eich and even Hunt do not fit that profile. They look for Linemen who are around 300 and are athletic and able move laterally.

If McDan Daniel is hired, this offense is not going to hit the ground running next season, will take time to find the right pieces and also coaches to implement the philosophy.

Just watching the game yesterday you could see how much the Niners move their O Linemen.

That is the problem with making a hire like McDaniel. IF you want him to run his schemes then you will have to remake the roster significantly, which takes time.

Then we are talking about another 2-3 year roster rebuild before we know where we are with the new guy(by which time our idiot owner is ready to fire him).

Now a Harbaugh hire probably requires less changing out of the OL since he employs a more physical run blocking style.

The Fins have some big OL, not sure how good they are(other than Hunt)but they do have the size he would want.

I also see a totally different Oline, one that’s extremely athletic. So kindley, Eich and even Hunt do not fit that profile. They look for Linemen who are around 300 and are athletic and able move laterally.

If McDan Daniel is hired, this offense is not going to hit the ground running next season, will take time to find the right pieces and also coaches to implement the philosophy.
Actually, none of this is accurate. During a presser McDaniel said they do not intentional seek out smaller, athletic lineman. He further stated he would rather have bigger lineman than smaller.

Have fun trying to prepare for a James Cook screen or a Waddle deep ball. You could go with a 2TE set, get those two plays at any time, and still have options in the middle with the 2 TEs.

Cook as a slot gives a lot of options- jet sweep, wr screens, drag routes

I think a lot of people will be upset when we don't draft a running back this year because of too many other needs on offense. But don't worry because Mike McDaniel has 3 recent former RBs in free agency this year in Jeff Wilson Jr, Raheem Mostert and Matt Breida. Those are his "types" at running back. As for the big backs, his starter last year came out of nowhere from the 6th round around where we landed Doaks.

I think a lot of people will be upset when we don't draft a running back this year because of too many other needs on offense. But don't worry because Mike McDaniel has 3 recent former RBs in free agency this year in Jeff Wilson Jr, Raheem Mostert and Matt Breida. Those are his "types" at running back. As for the big backs, his starter last year came out of nowhere from the 6th round around where we landed Doaks.
So more of same old

No, more like actual scheme fits that allow us to upgrade OL, LB, TE, WR, and Edge. We need to double down in the trenches. We have only 9 picks this year. Too many needs not enough picks.

Two backs I like that won't be too hard to aquire in the draft or as a udfa are Ty Chandler of UNC and Master Teague of Ohio State. Chandler might be 4th or 5th round pick, while Teague might go undrafted. Chandler is a solid all around back with speed and quickness. Teague had up and down stints at Ohio State, but really fits the zone read system as a down hill one cut back. Teague also has decent burst for a 220/225 pound back. I admit I like some of the names that will get called earlier in the draft, but these are two that some team will select later in the process and could get a decent player.

Two backs I like that won't be too hard to aquire in the draft or as a udfa are Ty Chandler of UNC and Master Teague of Ohio State. Chandler might be 4th or 5th round pick, while Teague might go undrafted. Chandler is a solid all around back with speed and quickness. Teague had up and down stints at Ohio State, but really fits the zone read system as a down hill one cut back. Teague also has decent burst for a 220/225 pound back. I admit I like some of the names that will get called earlier in the draft, but these are two that some team will select later in the process and could get a decent player.
If we can snag an Elijah Mitchell this year that’s just fine by me

Back
Top Bottom