The 2023 Pick is about 'If Tua Sucks' | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 2023 Pick is about 'If Tua Sucks'

I’ll never get taking Tua over Herbert...but it’s done and we have to hope Tua progresses and that his lack of “wow” last year was needing more time to recover.

We could be looking at Herbert and Kyle Pitts if Greer had made the right decisions, that’s why I’m not ready to anoint Greer a genius at this point!
Didn’t you anoint Drew Lock a franchise qb after his first season though? But true yes- let’s hold off on too much Grier praise- but some is okay. He’s done alright wheeling and dealing

We're ALREADY are making threads about if Tua is a BUST then 2023 x,y,z....My Goodness!
I was thinking the same thing. Just let the year pan out and lets re evaluate from there. Herbert had a great year of stats and he is labeled God already. For Tua, he has a mediocre year and they are calling for his head

Off season. Training camp. Pre season. Give Tua those 3 at least. Im neither here or there with Tua but im going to at least see what he can do when he's given a fair crack of the whip and given a few decent Offensive playmakers around him.
To be honest the Tua slating is boring now. Fitz has gone and now its time to see if Mr Tagovailoa is as good as I hope most of us wish for.

I wonder how fans would view Tua, if he'd have put up Herbert's numbers this past year?

I wonder how fans would view Tua, if he'd put up Herbert's numbers this past year?
They would still be hating, or find something to hate about. Last year was simple because he didnt have a nice statful year, if theres such a word

RE Tua. He was flat-out special in that game vs Arizona. Those runs, especially, were better, more inspired plays than almost anything we saw from Tannehill.
He also did throw some amazingly beautiful passes, even if the context or the moment they occurred werent that important. That bomb that Grant dropped was perfection. In somewhat garbage time, he did make a lot of good throws and such in our week 17 game.
I just feel, also, that he was really set up to fail in the games vs Denver and LV. Gailey got flat-out bitch-slapped by Fangio and Marinelli. Fitz was Fitz vs Denver and had some good fortune and 'Raiders gonna Raider' vs LV.
Tua was solid vs KC and New England.
I think these contexts arent reflected in the stats. Gailey was often dreadful. Outside of an inspired plan at home vs NE, Gailey was not good.
Ultimately, Im bullish on Tua...but...he still is playing uphill against those 'measurables' that require more 'between the ears' than what other QBs need to battle.

I thought last year's draft was decent, though Im not happy about the Curtis Weaver situation. Having him in the fold would be like an extra draft pick right now.
The Idea of Iggy was good, but I seriously think the rest of the league was like 'Who?' And we couldve had him later. I cant remember a single positive play he had last year, Including soecial teams.
If Iggy does pan out, Grier looks like a genius and X better be packin up or keeping his mouth shut. If Iggy doesnt pan out, 'Damn', sure sucks losing a top 30 pick.

And you after 9 games are able to say this statement is still true ? Why haven't one of these pro teams contacted you for a job in personnel yet, that's an amazing skill you have !
Really stupid response to the facts. They have not got a QB pick right.
Maybe the Tua pick will be right. We all hope so. No one is giving up on him yet. He deserves another full season at least. Maybe 2.
But right now Tua showed he was not as good as journeyman Ryan Fitzpatrick.
Thats what he accomplished last year. He needs to be alot better this year. Fans making excuses for him are wrong.

Really stupid response to the facts. They have not got a QB pick right.
Maybe the Tua pick will be right. We all hope so. No one is giving up on him yet. He deserves another full season at least. Maybe 2.
But right now Tua showed he was not as good as journeyman Ryan Fitzpatrick.
Thats what he accomplished last year. He needs to be alot better this year. Fans making excuses for him are wrong.
You can look at it that way. I look at as a rookie was not able to make fast NFL decesions as quickly as a 18 season vet. Any edge Fitz had over Tua last year I think could easily be attributed experience.

Last edited:
Great post. I agree he's done many things well but drafting has not been one of them so far. Too early to tell on the 2020 class but with all those picks he's accumulated he needs to hit big on at least some of them. This draft coming up will go a long way if he gets it right.

Can you name a couple GM's you'd consider good at drafting?

You can look at it that way. I look at as a rookie was not able to make fast NFL decesions as quickly as a 18 season vet. Any edge Fitz had over Tua last year I think could easily be attributed experience.
Experience has ZERO to do with throwing the football. Tua showed average arm strength and even average accuracy. And this was throwing baby passes most of the time. That is a concern as is his small stature in the pocket and his lack of speed and quickness to avoid pressure and then throw on the run.

Yeah it sounds crazy to say but Grier's future here is absolutely tied to the success/failure of Tua.

5 picks in the first two rounds last draft and not one of them were exceptional as a rookie....a little concerning but their is still hope. But if Tua pans out then the 2020 dolphins draft was a success and if Tua doesnt work out then the 2020 draft was a failure for us. All depends on Tua, no pressure kid.
It is true that Tua means more than all 4 other picks combined. If he's a bust, then we're starting from scratch. But we could have gotten him with just our own 1st.

We tore it down to aquire more picks to build a team. Having 4 other 1st/2nd rounders and coming out with no players that a much more than average starters would be pretty dissapointing.

I'm not saying that's the case. This was just their rookie season. It's just that while having Tua be the real deal is priority #1, we basically had two drafts worth of day 1-2 picks besides him. The success of those other guys matter a lot in how I will judge this draft.

you would hope that he learned something from that mistake. Arizona cut their losses with Rosen early and look how that turned out for them. They got a much better QB and Rosen is bouncing around practice squads... We should learn a lot about Tua this year. Will he improve and will he stay healthy for the whole season? Not saying he needs to play lights out but he will need to show improvement else he will be on the hot seat.
Or just maybe they learned their lesson that with Tannehill it was about the coaching and OL, not the QB

Back
Top Bottom