The #3 pick has too much value to simply pick a player | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The #3 pick has too much value to simply pick a player

Trading down relies heavily on:

1) What the Jets do
2) QB interest leading up to the draft.

If picks 1, 2 are QB, then Cincy might get a little antsy, because Sewell would certainly make sense in Miami OR Atlanta. I’m aware that Cincy “never” trades up, but there’s a first time for everything.

However, if the Jets take Sewell, which they should, Cincy isn’t trading up...but things get really interesting between Atlanta, Detroit and Carolina.

It’s an interesting and good problem to have, but nobody has any idea what the trade back agreement would be. Remember, the Fins only traded #12 and #42 to get to #4 in 2013...due to lack of demand. But then in 2017, it took the Bears a 3rd, a 4th, and then a 3rd the following year to move from #3 to #2.

All of this said, I’m okay with moving down a little, but not if they lose Devonta Smith.

Depends on what offense the dolphins are trying to implement, Tua is not a RPO QB so getting Devonta Smith might be a problem, if Tua is the starter in 2021 they have to find him a running back, maybe they trade back in the draft and get Jamar Chase, and get Harris, then sure up the line in the 2nd round, The dolphins need to be able to spread the field with proven skilled players, Tua is a good QB but he needs play that can get open in a nano second not lazy route runners.

Could you imagine dropping to 9, picking Surtain, then flipping X for 2 first rounders...Grier does what he can, but he's been magical lately.

f12507e5-4ee8-4a33-b63b-b80cfa0d5816_screenshot.jpg

···damn fishin' magician
I agree Grier has done what he can under the circumstances. Yet it should be noted that he traded away two players last year which are pro bowl players and in return the Dolphins drafted players so far with those picks which have a long way to go before they are close to the players Fitzpatrick and Tunsil are. Jackson was okay at LT in his rookie season but he is no where close to Tunsil right now. Iggy was a huge reach in the first round with the Texans pick but hopefully he will develop into a decent CB over the next few years.

Hitting on the two picks from the Texans this year is extremely important if the trade last year is to be considered a positive for the Dolphins.

Trading down relies heavily on:

1) What the Jets do
2) QB interest leading up to the draft.

If picks 1, 2 are QB, then Cincy might get a little antsy, because Sewell would certainly make sense in Miami OR Atlanta. I’m aware that Cincy “never” trades up, but there’s a first time for everything.

However, if the Jets take Sewell, which they should, Cincy isn’t trading up...but things get really interesting between Atlanta, Detroit and Carolina.

It’s an interesting and good problem to have, but nobody has any idea what the trade back agreement would be. Remember, the Fins only traded #12 and #42 to get to #4 in 2013...due to lack of demand. But then in 2017, it took the Bears a 3rd, a 4th, and then a 3rd the following year to move from #3 to #2.

All of this said, I’m okay with moving down a little, but not if they lose Devonta Smith.
I'm curious, because I REALLY disagree...

You said the Jets SHOULD take Sewell. Given that they took Mechi Bechton last year and how highly he is regarded by most... why do you think they SHOULD take Sewell given their raft of needs?

The Jets want to trade out of the 2nd pick. They seem to think Darnold is still the answer . We are lucky Joe Douglass is another miss as a GM. When he took over the job he had Leonald Williams, Robbie Anderson, Q.Williams, CJ Mosely. Bell, Herndon,Hot prospect Sam Darnold. Jamal Adams. One hell of a base to build a team around. Now he has a broken Sam Darnold and draft picks. They had similiar pick as us last yr and we stomped them. I can not wait for us to stomp them again this off season

I agree Grier has done what he can under the circumstances. Yet it should be noted that he traded away two players last year which are pro bowl players and in return the Dolphins drafted players so far with those picks which have a long way to go before they are close to the players Fitzpatrick and Tunsil are. Jackson was okay at LT in his rookie season but he is no where close to Tunsil right now. Iggy was a huge reach in the first round with the Texans pick but hopefully he will develop into a decent CB over the next few years.

Hitting on the two picks from the Texans this year is extremely important if the trade last year is to be considered a positive for the Dolphins.

10 and 6 with the #3 overall...it's a positive

What is great about this yr is there are so many good wide outs available , I love Kadius Toney in the 2nd with our pick. Grier and Flo picked a great yr to add playmakers with our draft cap.

JAX trades for Watson. That would shake up the draft. Will it happen? I seriously doubt it, but, you're right, unexpected things happen.

This is the most interesting possibility. Until the Watson situation is resolved, guessing at what Miami will do, while fun, is really impossible. Once Watson's situation is settled, the bedrock of the foundation of the top 10 picks will become more clear.

As a general rule, I tend to prefer BPA over need, but when the two meet, it is amazing. I don't like a primary focus on need because it seems to result in serious reaching. Also, trading down sounds good in theory, but once done, it always seems like Miami reaches on the additional picks.

Back
Top Bottom