The 50 most significant plays in Miami Dolphins History | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 50 most significant plays in Miami Dolphins History

The fake spike was a great play, but the hook and lateral: Don Strock to Duriel Harris to Tony Nathan was the most significant play in franchise history.
[video=youtube;AvmFczOcUK0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvmFczOcUK0[/video]

Not sure I agree because we still lost. Awesome play though. I think AJ Duhe's interception return for a TD versus the Jets should be on that list for sure.

The Camirillo play is sigfnificant but only because we almost went 0-16. In the grand scheme of things thats pretty sad

40 more to go on the list. I don't want to spoil it for you. There will be many you agree with and probably some you don't. There was a lot of thought put into the list. I'll be curious to see if someone comes up with a play that is not on the list when all is said and done.

A play that should make the list but probably won't is Garo's 51 yard FG outdoors at Metropolitan Stadium, mid 4th quarter early in 1972. The unbeaten season never would have reached talking point stage minus that unlikely kick. The Dolphins trailed 14-6 and had been outplayed and out hit all afternoon. Miami likely would have sagged if the game remained 14-6, and lost routinely. Keep in mind there were no 2 point conversions at that time.

That kick jumpstarted the comeback and shifted NFL history.

Another overlooked play is Morrall's deep crossing pass to Warfield, mid 4th quarter of the opening playoff game of 1972. The Dolphins trailed Cleveland 14-13 on a dreary overcast day and the Orange Bowl crowd was stunned and silent. Our passing game had been inept all day. That single play, a leaping catch by Warfield, awakened the team and the crowd. Miami scored on the drive to pull it out, 20-14.

Interesting project but I have a feeling it will understate the critical plays from the early '70s. That's only natural, since that era is now so distant.

The Bokamper/Theismann play from the 1983 Super Bowl also needs to be on the list. Miami was the inferior team but that play could have twisted the result in our favor. I've been thinking of posting that play on YouTube. It doesn't seem to be there. So far my YouTube videos have not been yanked but a friend warned me the league is touchy about Super Bowl footage.

Leon Lett's blunder is definitely memorable...and it was Thanksgiving day, which we don't get to play on often...

philip merling picks off good olllleee bret favre!!! goood bye jestssss. see ya next season. cappin the greatest turn around?

Maybe not one of the greatest-ever plays, but one I always liked: Dolphins-Jets, 1986 in Miami. Lorenzo Hampton takes a hand-off and goes through the Jet line like it wasn't there and scores a 50+ yard touchdown.

Then there's Lamar Smith against the Colts in the 2000 playoffs. Ricky Williams in the first game against the Jets in 2002. Ricky Williams scoring the winning touchdown against the Redskins in the 2003 Sunday night game (my first time at Dolphins Stadium, or whatever it was called then.) AJ Feely's 4th down TD pass against the Patriots in 2004. And how could I forget Ronnie Brown scoring the winning touchdown against the Jets last season in a Monday night game? Or Ted Ginn Jr. running back two kickoffs against the Jets in the second game?

So many to choose from...

Michael

Back
Top Bottom