The 800 pound gorilla in the room | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 800 pound gorilla in the room

OmegaPhinsFan

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I see no one mentioned that the Marlins will be postponing some games and that also will trickle in to the Yanks and Phils. This is a huge reality, and baseball is the test rat in this thing. If baseball cancels, football is gone too

Apples to oranges. It is a valid concern to have but at the same time baseball has poor leadership all around where the players and owners were arguing more about money and amount of games than safety.

Does that mean the NFL will not have issues? Of course not. But the NFLPA and NFL owners have already done a ton more in the effort for player and coach safety than MLB. Theres also less travel.

Apples to oranges. It is a valid concern to have but at the same time baseball has poor leadership all around where the players and owners were arguing more about money and amount of games than safety.

Does that mean the NFL will not have issues? Of course not. But the NFLPA and NFL owners have already done a ton more in the effort for player and coach safety than MLB. Theres also less travel.
Less travel in frequency. Sure. Mileage and crossing zones, not so much.

You are 100% correct.

If baseball cancels... football is done.

I think the real determinant will be the NBA actually. Everyone knows the MLB and MLS are being negligent for not creating a bubble and as you can see both leagues have had issues.

If the NBA is successful in limiting infections, the bubble will become the new model for all leagues to follow. If not, we're screwed.

I really don't this this assumption between the leadership of the two sports is correct. NFL has had months and months to come up with plans. They've got countless sports that have resumed play and had to come up with ideas that the NFL can borrow from. MLB was in spring training when this thing started. Their standard season has ten times the games of the NFL. The MLB had a very complicated job. Word was the NFL was woefully unprepared going into camp and then out of nowhere they say "all issues resolved" at a point where that type of statement is impossible to make. We haven't even had chance for the NFL plan to run its course so we can see if there are flaws.

I see no one mentioned that the Marlins will be postponing some games and that also will trickle in to the Yanks and Phils. This is a huge reality, and baseball is the test rat in this thing. If baseball cancels, football is gone too
I

I posted this earlier today on the thread, “will we have a season this year”? I think it is going to be very difficult to have a football season Under the circumstances but we will see what happens.

I think the real determinant will be the NBA actually. Everyone knows the MLB and MLS are being negligent for not creating a bubble and as you can see both leagues have had issues.

If the NBA is successful in limiting infections, the bubble will become the new model for all leagues to follow. If not, we're screwed.

MLS has actually done very well overall. Yeah Dallas and Nashville had to back out but it was determined they were infected before traveling. Otherwise they have had one game postponed but have gone several weeks with no positive tests I believe

Just raise the roster to 90 players for the season and raise the cap accordingly. If I end the season with guys I’ve never heard of I don’t care. I watched the scabbs and I’ll watch 5th string players if necessary.

Grain of sand yadda yadda but agent world is buzzing that the season is basically over if this escalated whatsoever - including a second weekend of it. Tons of players are calling today alone to see what can be done contractually about $$$ and not playing

I keep thinking about John Lithgow's line from Shrek.

Some people may die... but that's a risk I'm willing to take...

MLS has actually done very well overall. Yeah Dallas and Nashville had to back out but it was determined they were infected before traveling. Otherwise they have had one game postponed but have gone several weeks with no positive tests I believe

Of course and we have to see how the remaining leagues play out. If MLS and MLB have more infections, and the NBA barely does, I think we will see a move in that direction.

More like comparing Fuji apples to Honeycrisp apples. MLB and NFL are in a similar boat, except baseball has much less players, coaches, etc. and the game is practiced mostly within social distancing. Neither sport is playing in a bubble.

Comparing the NBA to the NFL is apples to oranges. Adam Silver has once again shown why he is the best commissioner in sports.

Only a matter of time before this blows up in the NFL. In the meantime I'm choosing to go along with everyone else who is engaging in fantasy football.

Back
Top Bottom