The Alex Smith Pick | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Alex Smith Pick

BlueFin said:
It blows my mind KB, especially from a franchise which has done so well and had so much success picking first round quarterbacks.

You'd think the fans would settle for nothing less having a top ten quarterback.

.......and who's "new-era" coach Saban said himself that the success rate of 1st round QBs is like 30%.

pretty much...he's saying all the right things to make teams who want Smith to worry and want to trade up.

Agent51 said:
In my BAZILLION other posts on this SAME subject I have stated that we can get one in round 2 (if we get a pick) or 3. I WANT to draft a QB, I am just adamantly opposing a QB in round 1

You want a qb in round 2 but the big question is does Saban feel the same way. You can't read his mind so you dont know wat he's gonna do.

"we can't afford to wait 2 years to have our #1 start making a difference"
Even if we draft a qb in later round they wud have to wait. Smith is probably smartest qb in draft if anything he cud start half way through season or beat out Feeley|Ferrote in training camp. But again im not Professor Xavier I cant read Sabans mind this is all speculation.

Agent51 said:
no we haven't, we just all see that RB is a bigger need, and we can get a quality QB in round two, possibly even three, plus we need an immediate impact player and smith OR rodgers aren't ready to take over a team, so there goes a first round pick that we basically can't reap the benifits of for AT LEAST a year, prolly two, maybe more.

i agree....what in the world are we gonna do with 4 QB's on roster....and u know what i think??? the odd man out is AJ

Agent51 said:
no we haven't, we just all see that RB is a bigger need, and we can get a quality QB in round two, possibly even three, plus we need an immediate impact player and smith OR rodgers aren't ready to take over a team, so there goes a first round pick that we basically can't reap the benifits of for AT LEAST a year, prolly two, maybe more.

If the QB selection is deep in this draft, RB depth is twice as great. There is no reason a third-round RB selection couldn't contribute immediately.

Agent51 said:
.......and who's "new-era" coach Saban said himself that the success rate of 1st round QBs is like 30%.

You haven't been watching football long enough to know that coaches say all kinds of things prior to the draft?, He may have been saying that hoping to scare San Fran away from Smith.

Newsflash, every pick is a gamble at every position........go back and look at the success rate of all first rounders...there are busts aplenty.

BlueFin said:
It blows my mind KB, especially from a franchise which has done so well and had so much success picking first round quarterbacks.

You'd think the fans would settle for nothing less having a top ten quarterback.

i think your just spoiled by Danny's years here...

You guys...we are rebuilding...sorry to break it to you. Saban has said repeatedly hes using the draft to bring in young players that have VALUE to the franchise long term. Sure the RBs/WRs fit this description as well but we are not going to take those players because they will make an IMMEDIATE impact...we would take them because they have the best value to the franchise LONGTERM. Which is why Saban would pick Smith.

Drafting QB in Round 1 (especially in the early rounds) = HUGE risk with less than 50% chance that QB will enjoy a successful career.

Drafting QB after Round 1 = Not so big risk with much much lower chance of hitting big.

Saban said that QB is the most important position in an NFL team. I believe him. I really like Brown and Edwards but I'll support him if he really believes that Smith is the answer...knowing full well that this is a big gamble...but isn't there a saying about those that don't gamble don't end up succeeding? Well something like that.

PhinSoldia said:
i think your just spoiled by Danny's years here...

Dude, I go back a lot further than Danny Marino, I watched this team go undefeated and win back to backs with another hall of fame first round QB....Bob Griese. I realize the importance of the most important position on the field, I think some of you younger fans haven't learned it yet.

Agent51 said:
Right, and the success rate for those QB's taken each round thereafter drops even more per round.

KB21 said:
Miami will take a QB on the first day regardless, IMO. Right now, I have them pegged for David Greene in the third round.

You have to take the quarterback when you have the situation Miami has at the quarterback position. There is too much uknown at the most important position on the field to pass on a quarterback on the first day of the draft.

Right now, I have them getting Ronnie Brown and David Greene, but those things could change. They could just as well take Alex Smith and Ciatrick Fason/Vernand Morency.

Youre dead on man. Completely agree.

Da Fins, I see you have the new Weezer song in your sig pic. I LOVE Weezer, but man that song is the biggest ripoff of "Space Cowboy" by steve miller band. KRoc in New York actually played both at the same time one day and they were exactly the same except for lyrics!!

Not true

KB21 said:
I don't know why anyone is opposed to a quarterback in the first round. The success rate is much higher for a QB in the first round than in any other round. I think some of you have bought into Dave Wannstedt's philosophy over this position. You choose to denigrate this position.

Currently there are 13 QB's in the NFL starting not taken in the first round. You have guys like:

Brett Favre (2nd)
Tom Brady (6th)
Trent Green (8th)
Jake Delhomme (not even drafted)
Aaron Brooks (4th)
Matt Hasselbeck (6th)
Marc Bulger (6th)

This is not to mention all the QB's in the first round that were taken in the 20-32 range. Unless you have a stud QB you NEVER take a QB with a top pick. People say this is the toughest draft to read in years. Do you want another Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, or Rick Mirer?

This is the number two pick. You have to get a quality player. Not a high risk. People that say you have a higher success rate in the first round forget to mention the high failure rate as well. I would rather see the Fins take the top RB, OT, DE, OLB, WR, CB, etc than a QB.

Besides, give Feeley a chance. With a RB and a better line he might be all the Fins need.

boon said:
You want a qb in round 2 but the big question is does Saban feel the same way. You can't read his mind so you dont know wat he's gonna do.

"we can't afford to wait 2 years to have our #1 start making a difference"
Even if we draft a qb in later round they wud have to wait. Smith is probably smartest qb in draft if anything he cud start half way through season or beat out Feeley|Ferrote in training camp. But again im not Professor Xavier I cant read Sabans mind this is all speculation.

I know they would have to wait, I said we can't afford our #1 pick to sit. Picking a QB in later rounds doesn't give up as much $ and talent for a guy to sit on the bench. If we take Alex Smith look who we pass up on in that round, just for alex to "learn the game" for anywhere from a year on. Now if we take a QB in round 2 or later, look at the talent we would miss in that round for the QB to sit and learn the system. I'd much rather miss out on 2nd round on talent than one of the bg 3 backs or even big 2 WRs

DrAstroZoom said:
If the QB selection is deep in this draft, RB depth is twice as great. There is no reason a third-round RB selection couldn't contribute immediately.

the 3rd rounder that are old enough to be 3 or 4 year NFL veterans?

Back
Top Bottom