The Alex Smith Pick | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Alex Smith Pick

PhinSoldia

Miami Dolphin Columnist in the Making
Reaction score
I dont know what is Going through Saban's mind....but since Tampa Bay said they wanted Alex Smith.....wouldn't the finheaveb family agree that the announcement of this pic would be a smoke screen???to force a trade? r even if we do stick with the pick at 2 would we pick Alex??after signing a FA QB and resigning a QB..i'm sorry if it was posted before and feel free to disagree, but it just doesnt make any sense to me

it makes ZERO sense (to pick alex if we are stuck at 2). I know people will defend the need for a franchise QB and yadda yadda, but the thing is we need an immediate impact player, such as a RB, we can't afford to wait 2 years to have our #1 start making a difference. This has been covered before so I'm not gonna go deep into it again, but in short, no, it doesn't make sense to take Alex with our #2 if we can't trade down

PhinSoldia said:
I dont know what is Going through Saban's mind....but since Tampa Bay said they wanted Alex Smith.....wouldn't the finheaveb family agree that the announcement of this pic would be a smoke screen???to force a trade? r even if we do stick with the pick at 2 would we pick Alex??after signing a FA QB and resigning a QB..i'm sorry if it was posted before and feel free to disagree, but it just doesnt make any sense to me

Miami will take a QB on the first day regardless, IMO. Right now, I have them pegged for David Greene in the third round.

You have to take the quarterback when you have the situation Miami has at the quarterback position. There is too much uknown at the most important position on the field to pass on a quarterback on the first day of the draft.

Right now, I have them getting Ronnie Brown and David Greene, but those things could change. They could just as well take Alex Smith and Ciatrick Fason/Vernand Morency.

Agent51 said:
it makes ZERO sense (to pick alex if we are stuck at 2). I know people will defend the need for a franchise QB and yadda yadda, but the thing is we need an immediate impact player, such as a RB, we can't afford to wait 2 years to have our #1 start making a difference. This has been covered before so I'm not gonna go deep into it again, but in short, no, it doesn't make sense to take Alex with our #2 if we can't trade down

So, how do you expect to fill the quarterback position? Do you want to continue to rely on other teams' back up quarterbacks and late round picks that have about a tenth of a percent rate of success in becoming starters?

Saban hasn't announced it. Go ahead - try to say where he has ....

Smith's agent is the primary source. I suspect part of that is a ploy by the agent to get SF to bite on him if they want him more than Rodgers. The 49ers may be thinking about trading down and then grabbing Smith. This "talk" would force their hand in that direction.

You know the deal - never count your chickens before they're hatched. These assumptions may have some truth to them, but ultimately they are not all that reliable.

KB21 said:
So, how do you expect to fill the quarterback position? Do you want to continue to rely on other teams' back up quarterbacks and late round picks that have about a tenth of a percent rate of success in becoming starters?

In my BAZILLION other posts on this SAME subject I have stated that we can get one in round 2 (if we get a pick) or 3. I WANT to draft a QB, I am just adamantly opposing a QB in round 1

Agent51 said:
In my BAZILLION other posts on this SAME subject I have stated that we can get one in round 2 (if we get a pick) or 3. I WANT to draft a QB, I am just adamantly opposing a QB in round 1

I don't know why anyone is opposed to a quarterback in the first round. The success rate is much higher for a QB in the first round than in any other round. I think some of you have bought into Dave Wannstedt's philosophy over this position. You choose to denigrate this position.

We dont have a need a the QB position unless we could get a possible star. We already have 3 QB's and who is to say that Feeley isnt gonna blossom into a star. We have Gus Frerrote to play just in case Feeley doesnt pan out. If Feeley doesnt work out then next year we will most likely have a high draft pick and we could draft a qb then. Nobody knows what will happen.

PhinSoldia said:

I would imagine whats going thru his mind is several things, one, that AJ Feeley is no rookie and played no better than Jay Fiedler or Sage Rosenfels, now either all three are good quarterbacks or all three are mediocre quarterbacks....I would think its the latter.

He has a rare chance at a quarterback with the brains, accuracy and athletic ability of Alex Smith.....this is the "long term value" he has discussed so often.

Some of you seem to be in denial about how pathetic the quarterbacking has been around here the last 5 years or so, you also seem to forget we won more games with Lamar Smith (a free agent castoff) as our lead runner than we did with the big name back named Ricky Williams.

KB21 said:
I don't know why anyone is opposed to a quarterback in the first round. The success rate is much higher for a QB in the first round than in any other round. I think some of you have bought into Dave Wannstedt's philosophy over this position. You choose to denigrate this position.

no we haven't, we just all see that RB is a bigger need, and we can get a quality QB in round two, possibly even three, plus we need an immediate impact player and smith OR rodgers aren't ready to take over a team, so there goes a first round pick that we basically can't reap the benifits of for AT LEAST a year, prolly two, maybe more.

I would like for them to pick a rb with there first pick. But thats just what i would like to see.

DanStillStands said:
I would like for them to pick a rb with there first pick. But thats just what i would like to see.

as would I, and I think a majority of the people here, and the ones who don't want a WR

KB21 said:

It blows my mind KB, especially from a franchise which has done so well and had so much success picking first round quarterbacks.

You'd think the fans would settle for nothing less having a top ten quarterback.

Back
Top Bottom