The Antonio Brown TD catch | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Antonio Brown TD catch

brumdog44

Club Member
Reaction score
I think this shows the perfect example of why the instant replay challenge on pass interference is such a horrible rule. Since it was a scoring play, it was one that was supposedly checked. It was obvious on replay that he did initiate contact and push off to free himself.

Now, it obviously wasn't the worst push off in the world. But if the intent of the rule is to get the calls right, I don't know how on instant replay that it could have been ruled anything but offensive PI....you can see that he gained an advantage and got separation on it.

Deep six the instant replay rule on pass interference rule. Instant replay rules in other areas are meant to over rule areas where something either is or isn't....i.e., whether a player's foot was in bounds or not, or a pass hit the ground or not. If PI is turned into a judgement call of whether a player did something illegal but it wasn't 'egrigious enough', then just leave it as a judgement call on the field.

Instant replay rules are a fail.

The game needs to be viewed by refs off the field in communication with officials on the field to get calls correct

Every play needs to be reviewed from 6 angles - or nothing at all.

I’m for going old school - because in the end most of it the officials get wrong - even with reviews....

I think this shows the perfect example of why the instant replay challenge on pass interference is such a horrible rule. Since it was a scoring play, it was one that was supposedly checked. It was obvious on replay that he did initiate contact and push off to free himself.

Now, it obviously wasn't the worst push off in the world. But if the intent of the rule is to get the calls right, I don't know how on instant replay that it could have been ruled anything but offensive PI....you can see that he gained an advantage and got separation on it.

Deep six the instant replay rule on pass interference rule. Instant replay rules in other areas are meant to over rule areas where something either is or isn't....i.e., whether a player's foot was in bounds or not, or a pass hit the ground or not. If PI is turned into a judgement call of whether a player did something illegal but it wasn't 'egrigious enough', then just leave it as a judgement call on the field.
Preach. This is a really good take.

Meh.

I dont think the rule or the review is the problem as much as the arbitrary interpretation of the rule when in the hands of the officials.

The Pats will always get the benefit of the doubt. I'd be shocked if the NFL officials even considered taking that TD away for the push off.

I'd be shocked if the NFL officials even considered taking that TD away for the push off.
Then we have a problem and instant replay is absolutely meaningless on PI calls. And FWIW, they DID call call an offensive PI later in the game on a review against the Patriots when Gordon set a pick. The issue is that if the NFL is going to use instant replay for a rule, then it needs to be used as it is written. Pushing off by an offensive player to gain position is by rule definition offensive PI.

The only thing more significant about a judgement call on PI than something like offensive holding (which could be reviewed every play if we wanted to have a five hour game) is that a PI call was missed in the NFC championship game. The NFL made a knee-jerk reaction and decided to put a tourniquet on a paper cut.

Then we have a problem and instant replay is absolutely meaningless on PI calls. And FWIW, they DID call ball an offensive PI later in the game on a review against the Patriots when Gordon set a pick. The issue is that if the NFL is going to use instant replay for a rule, then it needs to be used as it is written. Pushing off by an offensive player to gain position is by rule definition offensive PI.

The only thing more significant about a judgement call on PI than something like offensive holding (which could be reviewed every play if we wanted to have a five hour game) is that a PI call was missed in the NFC championship game. The NFL made a knee-jerk reaction and decided to put a tourniquet on a paper cut.
I’m surprised they let it come to this / didn’t think through your very excellent point about the purpose of replay in the first place and how this new PI thing breaks the boundary between “concrete” (in bounds or not) and “judgment” (PI or not). The NFL has a long history of overreacting. Take the rule that the Holy Roller inspired. You can’t fumble the ball and recover it downfield in the last 2 minutes of the 1st half, nor last 5 minutes of the game. But it’s ok any other time - including over time by the way. It’s dumb. And unnecessary. If a guy fumbles and his buddy recovers it, let it be. Just because the play wasn’t officiated correctly (Stabler threw a forward pass) we have this arbitrary, overly-burdensome nuance about when you can recover your offnese’s fumble or not - and it’s impact on the outcome of the game.

Can't hang your head over blown calls in the NFL, you'll just get pissed off every game. Look at all the calls against Clay Matthews last year, dude basically ruined his career over blown calls.

luckily bad calls don’t make a difference in winning or losing games when you get blown out by 45 points a game

Then we have a problem and instant replay is absolutely meaningless on PI calls. And FWIW, they DID call call an offensive PI later in the game on a review against the Patriots when Gordon set a pick. The issue is that if the NFL is going to use instant replay for a rule, then it needs to be used as it is written. Pushing off by an offensive player to gain position is by rule definition offensive PI.

And thats my point. They only called it because we forced the issue. If left to their own devices, they wont call it, especially against the pats.

Without the ability to challenge them, many more instances would go unchecked, and some, like the Saints-rams call last year would go unchanged.

The rule change, or ability to challenge it isnt the problem, it is the officiating bias that teams like the pats receive that is the issue.

The officials themselves are just doing a piss-poor job of calling a fair game, replays be damned.

I think it should only be instituted for the playoffs only where games truly count.

I mean it should of been called OPI on the field.

Truthfully I am good with that not being reviewed, I am used to getting the short end on plays like that.

However if you watched the Seahawks game, they had a no call reviewed and it was ruled interference . . . And it was far less egregious than this one.

Being that ours was a scoring play on top of it, and after seeing today’s events. . . It should of triggered an automatic review and should of been overturned.

Flores couldn’t throw a flag because it was a scoring play, he even called timeout to give the officials more time to take a look and they refused.

It cant operate like this.

Back
Top Bottom