The Audible: Lawrence Timmons expects to be MLB, gives blatant response | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Audible: Lawrence Timmons expects to be MLB, gives blatant response

jimlerario

Active Roster
Reaction score
Listen to his interview on the April 21 edition of The Audible on miamidolphins.com

His response could not be more clear as to where he see himself fitting on the Dolphins D.

At the 4:30 mark, he is asked to give himself a scouting report and says:

"I'm gonna try to be in the middle of the defense"
"We got great players with Kiko on the outside, and whoever else is going to play outside linebacker"

I thought it was funny when he says Adam "Gas" too. Reshad Jones even makes an appearance and looks to be in good shape.

In my opinion, Timmons is right and should be in the middle with Kiko as the weakside backer. He is built more for stopping the run and clogging the running lanes with Kiko running free from sideline to sideline. Nonetheless, it seems Timmons has his mind already made up. However, we may need Timmons at strong side backer if we draft a weakside LB like Cunningham.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like his opinion to me

Yeah, just thought I'd share his opinion with the forum. Does anyone have sources on Kiko's opinion and flexibility?

Kiko is on record saying he wants to stay at Mike because he played there last year and he wanted to stay at the same spot. At the end of the day it's up to Gase

Ozzy rules!!

That will in the end fall on the Coaches to decide, not Timmons, not Alonzo, and not whomever we pick (If we pick) at LB in the Draft).

First of all, I also expect Timmons to play the Mike, because he's even less suited for Will or Sam than Kiko or Misi. Plus, Kiko is very effective at Will, so we don't lose much there, and that does seem like the natural organization. But asking Kiko is like asking how much money you'd like to make, a lot or a lot plus more ... who wouldn't say a lot plus more? I'm confident that Kiko will be fine with playing the Will, and allow us the flexibility to put Timmons' azz on the bench on 3rd down while Kiko shifts into the Mike.

Let's be clear, Timmons did not play well last year. The year before last we saw a marked decline in his play, and it got worse last year. For Timmons to be an improvement over the absolute garbage we had flanking Kiko last year, Timmons needs to IMPROVE his play. While he used to be very good vs. the run, he was not good vs. the run last year. While Timmons is fast, he is not good vs. the pass. IMHO, Pittsburgh will not miss a beat without Timmons. I would have much rather used that money to get a solid OG, and then draft a LB from among the many stud LB's in this draft.

Having spent 3M+ on Larsen, that means with the Timmons money we could have used 9M+ to find an OG significantly better than Larsen. Having eaten 3M of Albert's salary, we really mismanaged the OL this offseason, IMHO. So if people aren't happy drafting OL, this is where they should look. If we pass on Hassan Reddick and Jarrad Davis to select Dorian Johnson, this will be why. When we are scratching our heads asking why our LB's _still_ cannot cover anybody ... this will be why.

That will in the end fall on the Coaches to decide, not Timmons, not Alonzo, and not whomever we pick (If we pick) at LB in the Draft).

If nothing else, Timmons is sure trying to make the decision for the coaches. Also, I disagree because in the end the personnel will influence the coaches decision and make the decision for them.

Alonso's fit for Will is much better suited for the Under front which gives a little more free flow playing behind 1 or 2 two gap lineman. The OLB spots on our Over front are essentially the same with virtually identical assignments vs the run. With that said, would anyone feel comfortable playing Alonso at Sam? Overall, it's just a really poor fit for him on our defense.

Same goes for Timmons. It's going to be a very different and quite the transition for him as it will be the first time in his professional career that he is playing behind a one gap front. Should be interesting to say the least.

I just want a linebacker like Danny Bateman.

[video=youtube_share;RyFJk_861AY]https://youtu.be/RyFJk_861AY?t=13s[/video]

First of all, I also expect Timmons to play the Mike, because he's even less suited for Will or Sam than Kiko or Misi. Plus, Kiko is very effective at Will, so we don't lose much there, and that does seem like the natural organization. But asking Kiko is like asking how much money you'd like to make, a lot or a lot plus more ... who wouldn't say a lot plus more? I'm confident that Kiko will be fine with playing the Will, and allow us the flexibility to put Timmons' azz on the bench on 3rd down while Kiko shifts into the Mike.

Let's be clear, Timmons did not play well last year. The year before last we saw a marked decline in his play, and it got worse last year. For Timmons to be an improvement over the absolute garbage we had flanking Kiko last year, Timmons needs to IMPROVE his play. While he used to be very good vs. the run, he was not good vs. the run last year. While Timmons is fast, he is not good vs. the pass. IMHO, Pittsburgh will not miss a beat without Timmons. I would have much rather used that money to get a solid OG, and then draft a LB from among the many stud LB's in this draft.

Having spent 3M+ on Larsen, that means with the Timmons money we could have used 9M+ to find an OG significantly better than Larsen. Having eaten 3M of Albert's salary, we really mismanaged the OL this offseason, IMHO. So if people aren't happy drafting OL, this is where they should look. If we pass on Hassan Reddick and Jarrad Davis to select Dorian Johnson, this will be why. When we are scratching our heads asking why our LB's _still_ cannot cover anybody ... this will be why.

If Reddick drops to #22, we're not passing to take Dorian Johnson. If the Dolphins are truly looking BPA, I think the board is probably stacked with Reddick, Lamp, and Davis in that order. There may be other players between those three in some order, but as far as those specific players, I'm thinking that's how the board is ordered. There are enough guards that will be available in the 2nd round.

There is no way if Lamp is there at 22 the dolphins bypass him for a defensive player, they have to protect Tannehill and keep Ajayi running the rock, they can get a defensive end later on in the draft.

Back
Top Bottom