The Bad News: There are Problems....The Good News: There Are Solutions | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Bad News: There are Problems....The Good News: There Are Solutions

phinphan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Well, I sincerely hope that most of you have calmed down and see things with a little more clarity today. There is no doubt that this team has some problems somewhere. After much thought, it seems as though yesterdays performance was due to a number of different problems. Here are the main ones Obviously, not everything is this clear cut, but possible solutions are there)

DEFENSE

PROBLEM: The defensive line didn't manage to get much penetration.

SOLUTION: Apart from the obvious of Walle and JT not playing well enough, have you ever noticed that Jay Williams always seems to be in on plays?? Perhaps the coaching staff should find more ways to get Jay involved, he could be a catalyst for the whole D-line.

POOR TACKLING: This has been a prominant issue in recent seasons.

SOLUTION: Here, it is very possible that all the lack of contact in training camp, has produced some sloppy tackling. If this is the culpret, then it is likely that this will improve, now that a full game has been played.

THE SECONDARY: It is difficult to isolate one particular area of weakness here. Sam Madison was made to look pretty bad on a few occasions, yet he wasn't entirely responsible. Too many breakdowns in coverage, and once again poor tackling

SOLUTION: First and foremost, Jamar Fletcher will be victimised whenever he is on the field. He has the talent, but IMHO, his confidence has just taken too many hits for him to live up a solid nickel back status. If Madison and Surtain are at full strength, and Buckley is playign nickel, we will be fine. However, those three are crucial to this teams Superbowl aspirations, and a serious injury to any one of them may be too much to overcome (I'd keep an eye out for a possible trade very soon).
The obvious lack of communication in the secondary should also improve.

OFFENSIVE LINE: Offensive!!

SOLUTION: Well, this may mean a little juggling. McKinney and Dixon are both going to be available to play. Between those two, perhaps any line spot can be covered, so it may be safe to assume that every O lineman may be expendible at this point. Dixon's addition may improve overall communication, and chemistry for the unit. McKinney brings a lot of youthful tenacity to the table. Don't be suprised if the O-line is a very different looking one in the near future.

RECIEVERS: Thompson and McMichael especially.

SOLUTION: Although Jay missed some wide open throws, on the whole these guys just didn't do enough to impose themselves on the game. The immediate solution is for these two players to raise their games significantly. However, if they continue to disappoint, McKnight and even rookie Donald Lee may see more playing time.

JAY FIEDLER: Missed some plays which were there to be made

SOLUTION: If his recivers do a better job, then Jay will do enough. However, he needs to play better. Griese is not an option at this point. Even if he were, it is too early to make a change here.

FUNDAMENTALS: Overall, and included in many of the above, this is the biggest problem.
One of the major charactersitics of any Superbowl champion (go and watch a superbowl game) are very solid fundamentals. This means, techniques, making tackles, limiting penalties, recievers running precise routes. The basics are what makes a team solid. I had an argument with someone earlier in the week about how a team looks on paper is pratically irrelevant come game time. I hope that is now apparent. Take an all pro team, and if they don't have the communication, or fundamentals down, they are vulnerable at all times.

As a parting comment concerning the Texans. Houston is not a bad team. I mentioned last week that Carolina made the Championship game in their second year, and this Texan team has more talent than they did. Remember the '92 Cowboys, that team that completely dismantled the Bills in the Superbowl?? Well that year they lost to the 6-10 Rams, and I can tell you that the Texans are a better team than LA was that year. Yes this was a disappointing loss, but it may be a wake up call, and it wasn't a DIVISIONAL game. If the Phins can win the next two games, they are in pole position.

Keep the faith people,
GO PHINS!!!

The bad news is: our coach is Dave Wannstedt.
The good news is: he can be fired.

how bout coaching? no desire to inspire. no emotion. no nothing. rich cotite like day for wanny. that is where our problem lies. If wanny loses to the jets, the writing will surely be on the wall if not already.

Back
Top Bottom