The bad offensive line, play selection, and formation | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The bad offensive line, play selection, and formation

ZOD

Ruler of the Universe
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago we all read a quote by Dave acknowledging the limited use of Rob Konrad. When one reflects back to the 91-92 Cowboys it is difficult to remember a long stretch when "moose" was not in the game. It seemed as though Donald Lee was in the game as often or more than Rob Konrad toward the end of the season. Dave Wannstedt said while commenting on the Konrad situation that he would rather have Konrad in more as it keeps another linebacker in. As I understand it that comment cannot be underestimated as it pertains to the passing game.

Recently as I went looking for some pass protection related articles and I reached a better realization of the limits that Norv had last year with this offense. I was actually looking for the predominant line protection scheme that Norv utilized. My search went off track as I realized that he couldn't do what he had done in Dallas as a direct result of assisting the offensive line. As in all cases of team play events compound and the attack Norv utilized in Miami didn't resemble the attack utilized in his years in Dallas.

From most of my search I found that defenses most often kept three linebackers in against the 91-92 Cowboys. Most often the Dolphins faced the same matchups on 1st and 2nd downs during Norv's tenure in Miami as the Cowboys did back then. The difference that I took notice of last year was the asignments of those linebackers. All too often the opposition didn't consider it a risk for the middle linebacker to "hound" Ricky while ignoring the middle of the field in the secondary. All too often the opposition didn't consider it a risk to send a linebacker from the outside.

It would take a book to go through all the various obstacles faced last year by our attack and hopefully I'll get some good response here on the topic. I found some problems that I would like to discuss and maybe you guys can even get me back on track to the offensive line protection schemes. :lol:

Some of the problem can be demonstrated with one basic passing play out of a formation within the Zampese/Turner west coast offense that amounts to numerous plays in the playbook.

The first option is Chambers running an out route.
19270-med.GIF

Williams follows on a slide route.
19271a-med.JPG

I like Ricky's opportunity versus a single linebacker.
19271-med.GIF

The next step in the attack is Mcmichael across the middle.
19272a-med.JPG

On the opposite side of the field and through the checkdown.
19273-med.GIF

As I see it this play is an all out attack on the secondary that the Dolphins seldom FULLY used this past year as a result of poor pass protection.
19272-med.GIF

I think what is given up for protection is the split end on the opposite side of the field for a blocking tight end. I've noticed through my reading that predominantly Norv used "moose" for max protect rather than placing another "easy read" on the line of scrimmage such as Donald Lee. Additionally on the slide route Ricky has been forced to place a chip block on an end if not stay in altogether essentially eliminating his threat.

It's a direct results of five players inability to protect the quarterback. The good news is that we're not alone :) as you can see here from a similar play the Carolina Panthers through checkdown and a cannon shot displayed by Jake Delhomme to Musin Muhammed on the left side of the picture. What's worth noting is that they too experienced the problems in protection. Although I do not think that their base protection scheme broke down at any significant rate such as ours.
1927p3.jpg

It's very likely that you spent alot of time and effort on your thread. It was very interesting on the breakdown of the play you produced. I guess if anyone ever needed proof that our O-line play was the biggest problem with our offense, you just put it out.

Gary Miles said:
It's very likely that you spent alot of time and effort on your thread. It was very interesting on the breakdown of the play you produced. I guess if anyone ever needed proof that our O-line play was the biggest problem with our offense, you just put it out.

About an hour...:lol:

Just came up with an idea while looking for something else. Still wish I could find more on the O-line schemes though. I know it's not rocket science but I'd like to know the various assignments in different formations (mainly ours).

I guess I'll have to start attending those coaching clinics one day. :tongue:

Wow. Nice job. Very interesting for a guy like me who doesn't understand the X's and O's part of the game.

Regarding the strategy of O line play, I found a recent interview with Patrick Ramsey (Skins QB) very interesting. He remarked how excited he was that Joe Gibbs had dissected the poor play of their line last year and was putting in specific plays that the linemen would be capable of blocking. Most of the work they have been doing on offense this off-season has been centered around going through each individual play so as to ascertain the ability of the linemen to be able to protect the plays in specific packages.
I was always impressed with Shula's ability to tailor his offense to his players and not simply try to get players to fit his offense. Sounds like that is what the great coaches do. My question is, does Dave? One way or the other, I hope it works this year!

I think it is a mistake to put all of this on the offensive line. They were simply a contributing factor.

Look at the routes in the particular play you show. Those routes are a combination of intermediate out patterns and a deep post pattern over the middle of the field. Those are passes that Jay Fiedler cannot complete.

You also have to take into account that the play is designed for the quarterback to drop back in the pocket and not roll out, which again is a weakness of Jay Fiedler's.

Norv Turner had to curtail his offense not only because of the OL's blocking, but because of the limitations Jay Fiedler and the wide receivers put on the offense as well.

Back
Top Bottom