The Bennehill Show Part 1: Blame Ireland | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Bennehill Show Part 1: Blame Ireland

skillkills

Active Roster
Reaction score
When looking at Ireland's past draft picks, it should be easily noticed what he was thinking for roughly half of the team's top picks during the draft. Again and again, you'll see players drafted with one particular trait and that is measurables. Whether it's speed, size, or a combination of several characteristics, he drafted prospects irrespective of a player's actual football skills in college. That front office thinking was that they'll be able to teach anyone any position as long as a prospect meets certain physical characteristics. This is also common throughout the league which is why there's more draft busts than necessary. For as great as Belichick has been, they drafted Mallett in the top third round who was all measurables.

Some of Ireland's gems:

Daniel Thomas: lacked instinct, tackled easily, drafted because he was 6'2" and 235 lbs.

Dion Jordan: lacked production numbers as a DE as he was mainly used as an OLB in college, drafted for athleticism (speed and fluidity, not explosiveness) and being 6'6" and 248 lbs.

And Ireland had two chances to draft a franchise quarterback. After the first one failed, he doubled down by drafting another who was very similar to the first failed project. A side-by-side comparison.

Had Chenne: Ryan Bennehill
6'2", 225, good build 6'4", 221, thin but solid build
average athleticism good speed
very strong arm very strong arm
lacked touch and deep ball accuracy lacked touch and deep ball accuracy
lacked pocket presence lacked pocket presence
lacked quickness and agility lacked quickness and agility
football dumb football dumb

Instead of learning the obvious by themselves, both had to be programmed (told what to do) because they're both robots.

The exceptions to this was Pat White whom I believe was a Sparano pick as he was obsessed with the wildkitty and Brian Hartline who looked like a punter but was just a good football player but was also a late rounder.

Funny ass title, lol. Now I have the Benny Hill song playing in my head!

Funny you mention the comparisons to Chad Henne, I was thinking that a bit myself the last couple of weeks. Tanny looks very robotic this year, very similar to Henne.

I had forgot that he drafted Tannehill, but I bet that pick was a lot to do with Philbin trusting his father in law's advice. They are similar in the fact that you can't trust them to make decisions so they become robotic as you have to tell them what they can and cannot do.

I had forgot that he drafted Tannehill, but I bet that pick was a lot to do with Philbin trusting his father in law's advice. They are similar in the fact that you can't trust them to make decisions so they become robotic as you have to tell them what they can and cannot do.
I would think that Sherman vouched for Tannehill more than anybody. He probably figured that Tannehill could excel with him as OC having been his college coach.

The blame is shared by many, pleny of it to go around we we are bad for so long.
Definitely. Ireland is just one guy in a long line of failures at the GM spot. But at one point we could have turned into the Green Bay Packers South for the last decade. Wayne H screwed the pooch in 2005.

The “wildkitty”. Haha. Pat White. What a bust. He got in for a Wildkitty play in his rookie year and had Ted Ginn open for a TD down the middle - had 300 yards of separation on the DB...and overthrew him in the EZ. Never completed an NFL pass despite even starting a game at QB (which he was pretty much killed by a Steelers defender while scrambling).

Dion Jordan was considered the best defender in the draft by most of the “experts”. The lack of background work on Jordan the individual was the problem.

But yeah, we’re paying poor decisions of the past.

I think Tannehill is a much better flat out QB than Henne. Much better sense of defenses and arm talent.

But not much happening if the play breaks down from either. Things constipate and go nowhere quickly and in an ugly fashion.

I think Tannehill is a much better flat out QB than Henne. Much better sense of defenses and arm talent.

But not much happening if the play breaks down from either. Things constipate and go nowhere quickly and in an ugly fashion.

I agree Tannehill is much better than Henne. IMO

TANNEHILL>MOORE>HENNE

Yeah you lost me with the Henne comparisons. Tannehill has absolutely shown he can loft a pass in the bread basket. Also far more athletic and cerebral than Henne was.

Scratching my head how my Henne/Tannehill comparison ended up as one block instead of being separated.

Anyway, I think some are my missing the main point which is that Ireland had a habit of drafting prototypes. He did it again this year when the Saints gave up two first round picks for Davenport. The difference this time is that Davenport was absolutely dominant in college.

Dion Jordan was considered the best defender in the draft by most of the “experts”.
While that may have been the general opinion of Jordan, he wasn't drafted to play the position where he supposedly excelled. He was drafted to play opposite of Wake. But he was seldom used as a pass rusher which is where the low sack numbers come from. Inexperienced. A project. But because he was 6'6" and 248, Ireland had to have him.

82 games started vs 31. Tannehill should be better on account of just having more experience. And regarding arm talent, unless you measured both QBs top velocity throwing the ball, you really can't tell the difference. Both had very strong arms.

Yeah you lost me with the Henne comparisons. Tannehill has absolutely shown he can loft a pass in the bread basket.
Henne to Ginn as he burned past Revis to win on Monday night is what I would call a bread basket. To me, it took year until 3 (32 games) of Tannehill to have an adequate deep ball while Henne took 4 years, also 32 games coincidentally.

Also far more athletic and cerebral than Henne was.

Faster than Henne? Yes. Although it's been observed by me and others that he's really not that athletic. The words "awkward" and "dead feet" were used. On top of lacking quickness and agility, I'd also add that he lacks elusiveness and balance which is why he rarely breaks a tackle whenever he's hit.

Back
Top Bottom