The Bennehill Show Part 2: Smoke And Mirrors | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Bennehill Show Part 2: Smoke And Mirrors

Getting real with it would be saying his 'legendary' 8 game stretch where the light finally came on wasn't so amazing when doing an apples to apples comparison.

Of course I'd trade his stats for hardware but we both know that's beside the point.

Who said it was legendary? You? It was a sign of a team improving and a QB working well within the system. It gave reason to be very optimistic about the next season, something that never happened due to injury. This season, we are now aware that the two losses we have are during a stretch with a shoulder injury from the QB as well. Literally no one is saying RT is elite. That doesn’t mean he can’t win, which was clearly proven in 2016.

You want stats, fine. I would love to have an Aaron Rodgers on the team, but Marino had all the stats in the world and this team still couldn’t win! There is more to winning than just the “star” QB. Far more. Is QB the most important position? Of course. Would it be great to have another legend at the position? Absolutely. Since Marino retired, how many legendary QB’s have their been in the NFL? I count five. Your odds of picking up a legend in the draft are minuscule. The question is, can you win with a good QB or not, because if you need elite, you are likely not going to win. The attitude of RT is not elite so we can’t win is stupid. The question is whether or not he is good enough to win with. In 2016 he proved he was.

It's simple, bud. You're confusing what is otherwise a straightforward argument.

I'm giving out free sandwiches to everybody and you're demanding a full course meal for context?

I’m not the one trying to discredit an 8 win streak. You are literally bashing a player for delivering victories because he was the eighth prettiest while doing it. Meanwhile, 24 other teams wish they had such ugly QB play.

Who said it was legendary? You? It was a sign of a team improving and a QB working well within the system. It gave reason to be very optimistic about the next season, something that never happened due to injury. This season, we are now aware that the two losses we have are during a stretch with a shoulder injury from the QB as well. Literally no one is saying RT is elite. That doesn’t mean he can’t win, which was clearly proven in 2016.

You want stats, fine. I would love to have an Aaron Rodgers on the team, but Marino had all the stats in the world and this team still couldn’t win! There is more to winning than just the “star” QB. Far more. Is QB the most important position? Of course. Would it be great to have another legend at the position? Absolutely. Since Marino retired, how many legendary QB’s have their been in the NFL? I count five. Your odds of picking up a legend in the draft are minuscule. The question is, can you win with a good QB or not, because if you can’t you are likely not going to win. The attitude of RT is not elite so we can’t win is stupid. The question is whether or not he is good enough to win with. In 2016 he proved he was.

In 2016 all he proved was he can win with a team that is playing well and in 2018 he is trying to turn the 'he needs everything around him to be clicking to win' (and not *you win because of him*) theory he worked hard on in all but an 8 game stretch that culminated in a WC pounding into fact.

The Stephen Ross owned, Mike Tannenbaum 'managed' Miami Dolphins will never click on the amount of cylinders it takes for Tannehill to make this team consistently relevant. Maybe fluke relevant ... but not a team that gets circled on the calendar by rival coaches every season.

The Stephen Ross owned, Mike Tannenbaum 'managed' Miami Dolphins will never click on the amount of cylinders it takes for Tannehill to make this team consistently relevant. Maybe fluke relevant ... but not a team that gets circled on the calendar by rival coaches every season.

Right. Wait, they already did this in 2016. Any team on an 8 win tear is going to be circled by opposing coaches. This year, prior to being decimated by injuries (including RT’s throwing shoulder), we had won 3 in a row. Your premise is factually incorrect.

Right. Wait, they already did this in 2016. Any team on an 8 win tear is going to be circled by opposing coaches. This year, prior to being decimated by injuries (including RT’s throwing shoulder), we had won 3 in a row. Your premise is factually incorrect.

:bobdole:

Since the end of the 2016 season, due to his 8 game stretch with a plus 100 rating average , we were led to believe Tannehill had finally arrived. After reaching mythical status, our doubts had to be cast aside, belief in him unquestioned, contingency plans dismissed and so on. Only the offensive line had to be fixed for him to go hit the ground running after injury to once again regain his spot.

Below is a list of QBs since 2016 who had achieved a 100 plus rating during an 8 game stretch. What I hope this list provides is a better context as to where he belongs.

Rating YPG TD:INT YR
Ryan 119.9 331 21:4 2016
Smith 115.4 272 16:0 2017
Brady 112.8 318 19:2 2017
Rodgers 112.9 299 20:2 2016
Prescott 111.4 232 14:2 2016
Wentz 110.6 230 23:3 2017
Goff 109.4 261 19:3 2017
Cousins 106.4 297 15:4 2017
Rivers 105.4 281 14:2 2017
Brees 105 277 13:4 2017
Stafford 105 279 15:6 2017
Keenum 104.8 254 16:5 2017
Dalton 103.2 220 16:4 2017
Roethlisberger 102 313 19:6 2017
Mariota 101.7 228 14:3 2016
Winston 101.7 259 15:4 2016
Carr 100.9 290 17:3 2016
Luck 100.5 274 17:6 2016
Wilson 100.2 306 20:7 2017
Tannehill 100.1 215 13:5 2016

Conclusion:
  • Tannehill is the 20th most elitest QB in the NFL.
  • Lowest YPG on the list which tells me the offense had a hard time moving.
  • Not included is Newton who's a different type of QB, Watson (103 rating but in only 7 games before injury), Garropolo, and Mayfield who could both reach the mark very easily. Rosen was polished coming out so he could be another to reach the mark soon while it may take Darnold and Allen a couple more years because of their propensity to throw picks.
  • Whereas it took Tannehill 5 years to reach the mark, in 2011, in his first year as a Dolphin, Matt Moore had a 103.7 rating, 207 YPG, and a 14:3 ratio in an 8 game stretch. Even more impressive is he could've done more. There were times in that season with Moore as QB that they stopped trying to score as the lead was too great. There were also times where Moore was responsible more touchdowns but they didn't show up in the stat sheet and that had to do with a balanced attack in the redzone which is in contrast to the current team's plan of attack in the redzone that puts the ball in Tannehill's hands the majority of the time, thus inflating his numbers.
As an aside, I became a fan in 96 or 97 during Marino's twilight and I never saw the offense move like it did with Moore at the helm. He led the most explosive offense the team has had since I've been a fan. (I also checked Marino's numbers and they weren't good.) I'm not advocating for his return as he can no longer take a beating beyond 2 games. Just saying all this to provide a better perspective of where Tannehill is, that even at his best there are many who are clearly better.

RT played great during that winning streak in 2016.....I don't care how you interpret your list.....I saw it and experienced it.

RT has not played well this year. Our offensive this year flat out sucks.

There is nothing wrong with both statements being true. Tearing down RT's performance in 2016 just to make you feel better about your opinion of his play in 2018, doesn't really do anything for your credibility.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom