The Book On Ryan Tannehill (parts 1 And 2) - Comprehensive Scouting Report | Page 29 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Book On Ryan Tannehill (parts 1 And 2) - Comprehensive Scouting Report

I think the league does agree with my philosophy but like you mention the demand for good QB's is bigger than the supply coming out of college. I'm sure 1/3 of the league would like to upgrade their QB but have to balance the cost to move up and take a chance at getting better.

But these teams all followed my philosophy.

Seattle - Signed Flynn to big contract, but still drafted Wilson - Won Super Bowl
Denver - Signed Peyton Manning to big contract, but still drafted Osweiler - Won Super Bowl
Eagles - Had Vick but drafted Foles anyway - Eventually helped them Win Super Bowl
Patriots - Had Brady but drafted Garropola - Won Super Bowl
Rams - Had Foles but drafted Geoff - Made playoff for first time in 13 years
Eagles - Had Bradford but still drafted Wentz - Won Super Bowl
Texans - Signed Osweiler to big contract but still drafted Watson - Jury out but expect Texans to rise.

That's almost a fifth of the league that followed that strategy and it paid off.

Vick was a journeyman at that point. Foles had just posted a season passer rating of 69 and didn't look like the answer to any question. Bradford was on his second team, was only on a two year contract and the Eagles had just changed coaches. LOL at adding Foles to the "helped Eagles win the SB". That was after returning to the team as a backup.

Manning and Brady were late in their careers and the teams were looking for successors.

Osweiler had just posted a season passer rating of 72 and was traded BEFORE the 2017 draft.

The only example that is even close is the Seattle example. Even that is different since Flynn clearly was not an established QB and Wilson was a third round pick and likely not seen as the immediate starter.

The vast majority of the time, teams draft replacement QBs after they have decided that the QB wasn't going to work out or as an heir apparent to an aging veteran, NOT to attempt to upgrade from a good performing QB in their prime to the elusive "elite" QB.

Also your math needs work. It isn't 7 out of 32 it is 7 out of 192 (32 times x 6 years).

Last edited:
Doesn't change the fact that under similar conditions as Tannehill, he put up similar numbers and few on this forum would have called him out to the degree that they call out Tannehill.

I think the last two seasons demonstrate that even Newton can't be half running back, half quarterback. It takes a toll on his performance as a passer.

True. I think Newton's a little overrated, as far as numbers go they're not that impressive.

I agree he is committed to Tannehill as well, and he knows there is a lot of room for improvement like make more plays with his legs and be more aggressive. Side note he also thinks kiko isn't so bad...

Back
Top Bottom