The Bumpus Manifesto | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Bumpus Manifesto

Does this come as a shock to anyone? South Florida has the absolute worst fans in American sports anymore (there are exceptions). As a majority most people living in South Florida today are 1. old 2. foreign 3. from another part of the country. The Dolphins loyal fanbase isn't in Miami, its in the surrounding suburbs. If this poll was done in Miami Beach, or Downtown Miami it makes sense. The number would be higher in different parts of South Florida.

I went to Da U and I gotta tell you it was appalling to me as a football fan to go to the games, most of the student section was more concerned with dancing to the music then paying attention to the game.

Its the same with the New York teams, if this poll was done in Manhattan it makes sense for how low it is, the true Giants and Jets fans live in Jersey or Long Island.

I just find it appalling that 57% of the home market couldn't give two squirts of monkey piss about the team.

What does THAT have to do w/anything? Talk fans, because such fans are phony fans. Back in the 1950s and early 60s, the NY GIANTS were great. Then ALLIE SHERMAN and a succession of real dimwitted Coaches kept them in proverbial "basement', true "doormats" until PARCELLS. THAT'S A GOOD 20 YEARS where a .500 record got you a "ticker-tape parade" up Broadway. But thruout, there was a "waiting list" for NY GIANTS' Season Tickets. As an Attorney originally from NYC, I can tell you, from EXPERIENCE, that the question "Who gets the GIANTS Season Tix?" made MANY divorces bitter and contested. Ditto, Wills. THAT is what a for-real FANBASE looks like: NOT the so-called "DOLPHINS NATION"...NOT ANYMORE!

LOL at blaming the fans. We arent the one's putting that boring product on the field.

You're a "fair weather fan". Not a real fan at all. True fans are fans thru thick and thin, and not just when the team is winning.

Through thick and thin.....I, unfortunately had to leave Miami in '89. But, still manage to go to 3 home games and 1-2 away games per year. Nothing will keep me from watching a game. When I was single...my friends knew not to bother me during Sunday Dolphin games....now that I'm married, for those 3 hours that the Dolphins are playing.....it's my time....no questions asked. I don't give a flying f*ck if we're in a slump. I'm still going to watch my team and be as optimistic as possible. Bitching and moaning about crap management won't get you anywhere unless you're getting in front of the Dolphins brass and doing something about it. so, appreciate them for what they are, hope for greatness, and just ride the occasional turbulent waves.

PS. Just bought tickets for New Year's game against the Jets. F8ck the strike, F8ck the pessimists, F8ck u.

I would say posting this on Finheaven during boring lockout times is meaningless as I'd muster a guess that anyone who takes the time to post or read here now is a die hard fan. Maybe it would be more effective after a Dolphins win where posters come out of the woodwork.

I won't be buying any tickets until the lockout has been lifted. This is not me striking against the NFL for treating the fans like garbage this offseason (which they totally have) or striking against the Dolphins for the product on the field (they make plenty of money and no fan can use a strike/protest mentality against the NFL effectively, just ask the guys who protested against Mike Millen and the Detroit Lions back in 2007). This is about me being responsible for what little money I have.

I've gone to at least one game a year for the past five years (three in 2007, the dismal 1-15 year being the most). I support the Dolphins whenever I fiscally can.

You're a "fair weather fan". Not a real fan at all. True fans are fans thru thick and thin, and not just when the team is winning.

I go every year regardless...but the fact is if the product isnt good not everyone is a diehard. Its like this for me...I sorta like the Marlins and go to a game or two when they are good or have Josh Johnson pitching that die. Im not a diehard Marlin so Im simply not going to go and watch an inferior product.

You're talking about responsibility to spread the word but in reality its useless,

The Miami Heat had the most hype of any basketball team ever in the history of the sport, and that 20,000 people arena wouldnt be filled till perhaps the second quarter

there's no way you would attract people to a team that haven't won a championship in almost 40 years

Does this come as a shock to anyone? South Florida has the absolute worst fans in American sports anymore (there are exceptions). As a majority most people living in South Florida today are 1. old 2. foreign 3. from another part of the country. The Dolphins loyal fanbase isn't in Miami, its in the surrounding suburbs. If this poll was done in Miami Beach, or Downtown Miami it makes sense. The number would be higher in different parts of South Florida.

I went to Da U and I gotta tell you it was appalling to me as a football fan to go to the games, most of the student section was more concerned with dancing to the music then paying attention to the game.

Its the same with the New York teams, if this poll was done in Manhattan it makes sense for how low it is, the true Giants and Jets fans live in Jersey or Long Island.
Tampa is worse, trust me. The second a Tampa team starts losing, everyone loses interest. They would regularly root for the Colts because they were "Dungy fans", but were the same people weraing the "Got Gruden?" shirts when he was winning. The Rays lose attendance the second they start losing. Same with the Lightning. You even had a lot of Bucs "fans" that started rooting for the Saints when they were winning and the Bucs weren't.

I used to go to games all the time..had season tickets. I haven't been to games in years though. The team has been **** and it's pretty expensive to go when you factor in tailgaiting and such. It's also a nice experience getting a $300 ticket on Alligator Alley on the way to the damn game. It does get hot as hell though when you're just sitting there in the heat. Let's not forget South Florida has been been broke overall for a little while now. I believe unemployment may be the worst here, and if it isn't it's right up there. You really don't see any advertisement for the Dolphins anywhere down here either and we are supposed to be one of the "targeted" markets.

I posted this in another thread, but wanted to share here as well. Having lived in both NY and Miami, I don't care what the statistics are, the 2 fanbases are absolutely nothing alike. Giants and Jets fans are hardcore, and they ride and die by their teams. I've been to the games in the old meadowlands; The stadium is always filled, and the fans cheer like crazy for their team. The level of intensity is not the same in Miami. I went to high school and college in Miami, and of all my friends who were born and raised in Miami, only a handful were true hardcore Dolphins fans. In comparison, I personally don't know of a single NYer who was born and bred here, who is not a fan of one of the home teams. I'm not saying they don't exist, I just personally don't know any.

In short, there are too many fairweather fans in Miami IMO, and too many just don't take an active interest in the Dolphins. When there are more cheers for visiting teams than the home team, that's a problem. As upsetting as it was to watch, I can't say I'm surprised that the fins went 1-7 at home. IMO, there's just not enough fanaticism from the fandom, in comparison to what I've seen in other home stadiums (i.e. New York).

I went to high school and college in Miami, and of all my friends who were born and raised in Miami, only a handful were true hardcore Dolphins fans. In comparison, I personally don't know of a single NYer who was born and bred here, who is not a fan of one of the home teams. I'm not saying they don't exist, I just personally don't know any.
This is absolutely true, at least the part about the Miami fans. I was born and raised in Miami and lived there until 1999. Although the Dolphins haven't won a Super Bowl since three months before I was born, I did get to see them win two AFC championships, appear in two more AFC championship games, win a bunch of division titles, and witness the career of a Mr. Dan Marino. Still, even with that level of success, I always felt there were many people my age and younger who just weren't into the Dolphins in any significant way.

I can only imagine how it must be for a kid born twenty years after me-- way too late to experience Marino (much less a Super Bowl) and coming of age just in time to see the bottom fall out of the franchise. I'm surprised there are any young Dolphins fans left.

Back
Top Bottom