The Bumpus Manifesto | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Bumpus Manifesto

That's the biggest load of crap I have ever heard. I guess Bills fan are idiots or something because look how bad they have been yet they still sell out every single game. Chiefs fans are insane too because even when their team is horrible 80,000 plus still show up. The Giants, Packers, and Steelers are all sold out for 20 years plus, when they have an off year their fans are going to regret buying those seats. Just because a team is bad/mediocre doesn't mean that people regret buying tickets and going to the game, its their escape because they love supporting their team no matter what. I think that you just don't quite understand that, some people will do whatever it takes to make sure they are at their teams game every Sunday no matter how bad financially things are, because its their escape for better or for worse with their team.

That's why Miami has the worst fans, because their really aren't that many people that feel that way about the Dolphins, and it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with how good or bad the team is.

If you need further proof look at the Miami Heat, yeah they sold out, but hell that stadium wasn't even loud.

And to add to that, the lack of fan support with the Dolphins pre-dates the economic slump of the last few years, so it has a whole lot less to do with finances overall. I compare Miami fans to American's support of the US Soccer team. When they're having a run in the world cup (i.e. Quarter final match), the US pride is through the roof, bars are packed, etc., etc.; Other than that....meh.

You guys arent separating the "hardcore" fans(guys that live and die with their teams, buy all the paraphernalia, frequent team message boards, listen to all the team pressers, etc etc etc), from the FANBASE. We are the vocal MINORITY, nothing more than a fraction of the total fanbase.

The majority of fans who go to Dolphin games, Jet games, Heat games, Laker games, etc go for the experience, enjoy it for what it is. Win or lose, they enjoy it or shake their heads for a couple of hours afterwards, then move on with their lives. I suppose we can make an exception with the Steelers and Packer fanbases, but the reality is those teams have been consistent winners for some time.

Believe it or not, Dolphin fans like us that frequent Finheaven and live and die with this team arent the typical people you see at Sunlife(or most other stadiums for that matter).

I think you're right to a certain degree, but you don't buy season tickets, to any sports team to go "just for the experience"; Single tickets will provide that. I went to a Yankee game "just for the experience" and I don't even like baseball. Sure, I cheered, but could care less either way whether the yanks won or lost. Needless to say, I've never been back to Yankees stadium.

In stark contrast to the phins, when I last went to a Giants game (which I was given 2 tickets from a friend who is a 3rd generation season ticket holder), it's quite a different group of people. The passion from the entire stadium is infectious. I was rooting for them like I had been doing it for years; I lost my voice. I could care less for the Giants before that game, and have been a closet Giants fan since. I just wish the passion for phins was the same.

I think you're right to a certain degree, but you don't buy season tickets, to any sports team to go "just for the experience"; Single tickets will provide that. I went to a Yankee game "just for the experience" and I don't even like baseball. Sure, I cheered, but could care less either way whether the yanks won or lost. Needless to say, I've never been back to Yankees stadium.

In stark contrast to the phins, when I last went to a Giants game (which I was given 2 tickets from a friend who is a 3rd generation season ticket holder), it's quite a different group of people. The passion from the entire stadium is infectious. I was rooting for them like I had been doing it for years; I lost my voice. I could care less for the Giants before that game, and have been a closet Giants fan since. I just wish the passion for phins was the same.

I hear stories about how crazy South Florida was for the Dolphins of the early 70's, before I was born. I remember the pride I felt as a little kid, going to school the day after the Bears Monday nighter. Someone recently posted a youtube video of that very game, in which the Bears couldnt get off a 3rd down snap early in the 2nd half because the fans were absolutely insane. The refs ran over to Shula several times telling him to do something about the hysteria. Bears Backup QB Steve Fuller kept muttering "I wish they would shut the **** up" under his breath. I've never seen anything so rabid. Im getting goosebumps as I type this just thinking about it.

Winning creates that. 1-15 doesnt, 4-12 doesnt, 6-10 doesnt, 7-9 and specifically going 1-7 at home doesnt...and speaking of the Giants, they're below The Dolphins on that list at #30.

As I was reading this article: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2011/07/08/Research-and-Ratings/NFL-demos.aspx , I became disgusted - AGAIN

To me, this says alot:

The Miami Dolphins came in 28th place at a paltry 43%

In other words, Bandwagon City.

WTF?!?

If these numbers are accurate, then I really don't get south Fla.

43%

Are you ****ing serious?

... No wonder there's all those orange seats.

I'm starting to wonder if south Florida deserves our Dolphins. (not really, but kinda)

Not that this could ever happen - but move us to Wheeling, call us the Ohio Valley Dolphins, and I can virtually guarantee at least 50,000 arses in the seats EVERY game!!! Year in and year out - regardless of team results. We're rabid up this way for our football! Now, obviously, those numbers suck for the NFL ... but they beat the dog-**** outta the numbers we draw on average.

... I realize that I'm preaching to the wrong audience. If you're here reading this then I've gotta assume that you aren't part of the problem.

... Or are you?

For years, I've been reading responses from posters here who continually use the "Well, there's lots of **** to do here" argument.

Really? You can't spend one afternoon a week supporting your team? (Again, I know - YOU can, it's everybody else though)

Transplants? Sure, I get that. But, do they have to be off limits? They've been there for years. What about their kids? They aren't from NY.

How often do YOU go out and spread the Gospel of OUR Dolphins? Do YOU try and recruit more fans through your vocal efforts? If you're not part of the solution, mayhaps you're part of the problem?

Fanhood isn't just a priviledge, it's a responsiblity!

It's up to all of us to fix this ****.

Go out and spread the word boys and girls!

Because, frankly - this is flat out embarrassing!

/rant.

Flame on ...

This is a poorly thought out view, what would you expect from a city who sucked for so long and finally won a superbowl? Of course New Orleans will rate high right now,conversely, Tampa sold out every game with a waiting list when they were on top, and lately can't sell a game out.

Miami has been a bottomfeeding organization for the last ten years, they play a boring brand a football under Sparano and have declined the last 3 years. Sparano wasn't even supposed to survive last season after his team quit on him.

So to expect a loss of the part of the fan base that is not hard core is not surprising and certainly not unique to Miami.

Many people forget that we're only 2 years removed from a division title with much less talent..and yes...the same head coach. Yes, it was an easier schedule 2 yrs ago, but it doesn't matter, we led the league in least turnovers and won games with 1/2 the talent we have now. We've been dealt a couple of bad cards the last couple years...the injury card and the hard schedule card.....I personally think we are destined to have a great season this year. Believe it or don't...I don't care.....win or lose, the Dolphins are my escape from reality...the reality of a hard work week, the reality of having a non-stop child, the reality of boredom during the week, the reality of missed lunches, the reality of a flat tire, the reality of a bitchy wife, etc.....

Many people forget that we're only 2 years removed from a division title with much less talent..
Bah, i enjoyed that season as much as any i can remember in my 35+ years but come on lets be honest here. Making the playoffs 1 year does not make you a true playoff team, that year everything just worked out perfectly for us. I am happy we made it but at times I wish we didn't that year. I really think that gave a fake sense of accomplishment and may have caused us to treat Free Agency and the Draft a little different.
Chubbs

Bah, i enjoyed that season as much as any i can remember in my 35+ years but come on lets be honest here. Making the playoffs 1 year does not make you a true playoff team, that year everything just worked out perfectly for us. I am happy we made it but at times I wish we didn't that year. I really think that gave a fake sense of accomplishment and may have caused us to treat Free Agency and the Draft a little different.
Chubbs

Outside of the Colts, Patriots, Steelers and other perennial contenders, you could say this about every other team that makes it to the playoffs. Do you really think the Jets are better than us? I sure as hell don't, yet they made it to the AFC championship game 2 years in a row. Why? Because "things just worked out perfectly for them". Would I rather be lucky than good? No. But to think "things working out for you" doesn't help, even the contenders, I would have to disagree with that line of thinking. I for one believe that we have the talent to be a very very good team, but it WILL take a little bit of magic (i.e. things working out) for us to reach the playoffs this year, and as a die-hard fan of this team, I believe in it, until reality dispels my belief...

Outside of the Colts, Patriots, Steelers and other perennial contenders, you could say this about every other team that makes it to the playoffs. Do you really think the Jets are better than us? I sure as hell don't, yet they made it to the AFC championship game 2 years in a row. Why? Because "things just worked out perfectly for them". Would I rather be lucky than good? No. But to think "things working out for you" doesn't help, even the contenders, I would have to disagree with that line of thinking. I for one believe that we have the talent to be a very very good team, but it WILL take a little bit of magic (i.e. things working out) for us to reach the playoffs this year, and as a die-hard fan of this team, I believe in it, until reality dispels my belief...

You got! Hit the nail right smack in the head. There is always going to be the top 4 or 5 teams like the pats, steelers etc. that are true playoff teams and then you have another set of 3 or so teams that alternate yearly then you get usually 1 or 2 teams that make the playoffs once and dont make it again for another 5 or 6 years or not at all.

Which category do put us in? Because last I checked we are not an elite team and are still a QB away from being anything relevant.

So while it felt good we made the playoffs, no i wont go around bragging that we are 2 going on 3 seasons removed.
Chubbs

I go to one game a year since I live in Orlando, but the games arent that expensive compared to other cities. Carpool and bring your own beer to the parking lot fools.

for those of you not from the area, its snowbird heaven. Snowbird refers to not just old people who vacation down in the winter, its reffering to families that have moved down to florida a long time ago and their kids and such are fans of their homes.

I wouldn't sit here and call it so much bandwagon, if your a phins fan then your a phins fan. We have a great national and internationl base, but not so much local. I'm not sitting here blaming it on all the national infestation of south florida, but i do put a large percentage on it. I have tons of friends that moved down here from Jersey or New york or something a long time ago, and rep the home team. As do their parents and kids themselves.

Simply though, winning cures all.

for those of you not from the area, its snowbird heaven. Snowbird refers to not just old people who vacation down in the winter, its reffering to families that have moved down to florida a long time ago and their kids and such are fans of their homes.

I wouldn't sit here and call it so much bandwagon, if your a phins fan then your a phins fan. We have a great national and internationl base, but not so much local. I'm not sitting here blaming it on all the national infestation of south florida, but i do put a large percentage on it. I have tons of friends that moved down here from Jersey or New york or something a long time ago, and rep the home team. As do their parents and kids themselves.

Simply though, winning cures all.

Yes you right, Miami has a different dynamic that most other cities do not have but we wouldnt be having this discussion if the Fins would just put a good product on the field.

Mix in 2 back to back 7-9 seasons, overall lost decade of next to Irrelevancy, Poor offensive philosophy and production and your are seeing the result.
Chubbs

Back
Top Bottom