The Bumpus Manifesto | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Bumpus Manifesto

Bumpus

Looks at bottle ... *sigh*
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
As I was reading this article: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2011/07/08/Research-and-Ratings/NFL-demos.aspx , I became disgusted - AGAIN

To me, this says alot:

The Saints top all NFL clubs (and all U.S. sports teams) in terms of local market fan penetration, according to data from Scarborough Sports Marketing. New Orleans had the highest percentage (87%) of any home market where adult fans said they had watched a game on TV, listened to a game on the radio or attended at least one game during the past year.

The Miami Dolphins came in 28th place at a paltry 43%

In other words, Bandwagon City.

WTF?!?

If these numbers are accurate, then I really don't get south Fla.

43%

Are you ****ing serious?

... No wonder there's all those orange seats.

I'm starting to wonder if south Florida deserves our Dolphins. (not really, but kinda)

Not that this could ever happen - but move us to Wheeling, call us the Ohio Valley Dolphins, and I can virtually guarantee at least 50,000 arses in the seats EVERY game!!! Year in and year out - regardless of team results. We're rabid up this way for our football! Now, obviously, those numbers suck for the NFL ... but they beat the dog-**** outta the numbers we draw on average.

... I realize that I'm preaching to the wrong audience. If you're here reading this then I've gotta assume that you aren't part of the problem.

... Or are you?

For years, I've been reading responses from posters here who continually use the "Well, there's lots of **** to do here" argument.

Really? You can't spend one afternoon a week supporting your team? (Again, I know - YOU can, it's everybody else though)

Transplants? Sure, I get that. But, do they have to be off limits? They've been there for years. What about their kids? They aren't from NY.

How often do YOU go out and spread the Gospel of OUR Dolphins? Do YOU try and recruit more fans through your vocal efforts? If you're not part of the solution, mayhaps you're part of the problem?

Fanhood isn't just a priviledge, it's a responsiblity!

It's up to all of us to fix this ****.

Go out and spread the word boys and girls!

Because, frankly - this is flat out embarrassing!

/rant.

Flame on ...

Such is the life of a ****ty team with no QB.

I hear ya, bump. I grew up in PA, and every season I went to B-more to watch the 'phins kick some colts ***. We would get a ticket in the "cheap seats" and since the colts sucked, by the end of the 1st qtr., the ushers would let us move down to vacant seats!! (with the understanding that if the actual ticket holder would show up, we would move). I think I was more sad to see the colts go than alot of their "fans". Don't think the team can't be moved, it's too much of a "business" these days...... it's not a neat toy that a "hometown" owner has, that he can showoff to his friends.
I understand the whole "transplant" thing......usually the biggest crowds show up when the jets, giants, steelers, show up. But as far as their children??? I have seen posters on here that run a dictatorship in there home, vowing that their kid will NEVER cheer for any team but the 'phins, so maybe the transplants have similar rules in their houses.
I can't believe that "there is soooo much to do down here" thing either. There are 365 days in a year...we are talking 8 freakin days out of 365!!!! You cant get all you jollies for "other stuff" off in the 357 days you have left??............. REALLY????? If you are SOOO busy, at least listen to the game on the radio!!! Hell, I enjoy just layin' back in the "lazy boy" listening to a game.

But, sadly, I think the big problem is ticket prices. Too many tickets are bought up by "ticket brokers" (i.e. legalized scalpers), and corporations (as a way to "reward" employees, or to take a client out and close a deal) that "Joe the fan" can't get his hand on single game tix. For once, I would like to see a team put the single game tix up for sale FIRST, and see if the crowds would be different. By the time the single game seats go on sale now, they either suck, or they get bought up by folks that put them on ebay, so you have to resort to paying double or triple face value to a broker....opps...I mean legalized scalper. (plus parking)!!

I live in Maryland now, and my wife (from D.C.) is a home grown 'skins fan. We are looking in to going down to miami to see the skins & fins play, as a "birthday" trip, since both of us have november birthdays. (BTW, it will be cheaper for us to fly to miami, stay 3 days in a motel, get a pair of upper deck seats, and fly back, than it is for a pair of "nesebleed" seats and parking at a 'skins or ravens game!!)

And for what it's worth....for the folks that want to say our "fans" don't show up like the saints fans do because our QB sucks, and the team isn't winning..... LONG BEFORE the saints were good, they still packed the super dome, they just wore bags on their heads back then!

Dude i used to go all the time and i can say for me at the time it was an expensive trip, plus the cost of season tickets. when i get back to orlando i will buy seats again, but i won't be going to every game. Im not a fan of the million other things to do arguement at all, though home field advantage aside, games in sept and oct (as im sure we all know) as just brutally hot. combine that with the cost of the experience and i can see why it is enough to keep away all but the hardcore fans.

I've been a Dolphins' fan in Michigan since I was 5 (that was 1984 for those of you keeping score at home). Since then I've converted 2 best friends, 7 younger siblings, and at least 3 ex-girlfriends into Fin fans. Likewise, that fan tree has branched as the people I've influenced have converted their own friends, girlfriends and family members into members of The Dolphin Faithful. We've seen them play in Detroit. We've seen them play in Cleveland and Cincinnati. We've even made a Thanksgiving road trip to Dallas to see them whip the Cowboys. We still haven't made it to a home game, and due to the crappy economy up here we haven't been able to go to a game every year, but we do support our Dolphins.

Ya, this is BS. If I lived close enough to go to the games, I would be at almost everyone. Hell, I even went to two Carolina Panther games last year just because the stadium is only 25 miles away now, and they suck big hairy balls. Of course those games were when Miami were not playing because I would rather watch them on TV.

I am a transplant from Pa,and have lived down here since 95'! I go to at least 5-6 home games a year,and usually one away game. The fan situation down here is just totally disgusts me! You can't listen to sportstalk down here anymore without Dolphin hater hosts. The new 640am has actually become a flagship for the Yankees? What's next a flagship for the Jets?There is a new predator to the Dolfans down here. It's the bandwagon Heat fans!These are the Heat fans that don't even know the starting lineup of the Heats championship just back in 2006! Yes, they are constantly calling in and dissing the Phins and hyping the Heat. The funny thing is these people have no idea or knowledge or the history of their new chosen franchise! I'm so sick of people calling in and hating on the Dolphins!FRUSTRATING,since these people that call in really don't have any sports knowledge! They really don't,and the sad thing about it they think they do! God, I hope we have a great season to shut up all these haters and the new Heat fan Dolphin haters! The funny thing is....if the Phins start out hot,these are the same people that will say "I love the Dolphins" and "I told you so"!!

Well according to the study, all you have to do is watch on TV or even listen to at least one game. So, its not really a money issue. Miami has a diverse population to say the least and a good many of the population just aren't into the Miami Dolphins for cultural or location issues. If anything, it does show a marketing opportunity for the Dolphins with segments available to grow the Dolphins fan base locally.

I hope nobody takes offense to this, because I know there are a lot of great hispanic Dolphin fans out there, but as a rule, Miami's largely hispanic population just isn't that into football.

FWIW, I live in Virginia, but I'm absolutely planning on taking in a game in Miami this year. Can't wait!

...if there's a season...

I think a large part is Miami's International-roots demographics ... many didn't grow up with football & don't follow it at all. Most will follow a little, if the team does well.

I live in the SF Bay Area now, specifically the heart of Silicon Valley, Santa Clara (Tech Visas 'R Us) ... the majority of folks at work don't even follow the NFL. We don't even have a real Sports Bar within 20 miles of here ... just a hand-full of joints with the NFL Ticket & maybe 8 medium & 2 large TVs (not BIG). Shocking!!! (Tennis is often discussed in my lunch room, aaiiieeee!!! ... and some soccer)

Its so bad, we only get 2 games on Sunday ... the local TV affiliates substitute paid INFOMERCIALS for football. That's a slap in the ____, when an infomercial makes more than an NFL Game.

Santa Clara suckered the public with 4 years of advertising (make us rich) to build a stadium to steal the 49ers here, 40 miles South (now the public wised up & is trying to renig). News today, Joe Montana wants to build a Sports Bar & Hotel on city stadium land & not have to bid to buy the land ... guess I'll finally get a Sports Bar, but not from Joe!!

Demographics!! Takes a couple generations to adopt the NFL.

How much is the cheapest ticket in Miami? How much does it cost to park? How much does it cost for a soda or a bottle of water once ur in? For a family of four it's a 350 dollar+ trip and think if u have season tickets. It is not inexpensive. add to that that we have sucked for 10+ years and haven't been to the afc champ game since I was in 1st grade. What do you expect from a fanbase that hasnt had anything to cheer for since 82-84.

Dolphins games are the most expensive in Miami. You can go to Heat games for at least 30 dollars cheaper than the Dolphins' least expensive individual game seats. Plus the parking and food prices are absolutely ridiculous. The Dolphins make a killing in parking revenue since Mass Transit is nonexistent to and from the stadium aside from a few MetroBus lines. Whenever Miami-Dade County gets their head out of their *** and expands MetroRail across the county, that alone will draw in more people. It's much cheaper to park in a county lot in Coconut Grove or Coral Gables or whatever and take the train to a game rather than park in their crappy dirt lots, or fork over nearly 200 bucks for a 10-game parking pass.

The outlandish prices I believe is what's keeping many people away. People love to place blame on each other as fans, but what are we supposed to do? We're broke here in South Florida just as everyone else is around the country, unless you're a certain poster who I will not name that loves to brag about how much money he's making in every post.

Dolphins games are the most expensive in Miami. You can go to Heat games for at least 30 dollars cheaper than the Dolphins' least expensive individual game seats. Plus the parking and food prices are absolutely ridiculous. The Dolphins make a killing in parking revenue since Mass Transit is nonexistent to and from the stadium aside from a few MetroBus lines. Whenever Miami-Dade County gets their head out of their *** and expands MetroRail across the county, that alone will draw in more people. It's much cheaper to park in a county lot in Coconut Grove or Coral Gables or whatever and take the train to a game rather than park in their crappy dirt lots, or fork over nearly 200 bucks for a 10-game parking pass.

The outlandish prices I believe is what's keeping many people away. People love to place blame on each other as fans, but what are we supposed to do? We're broke here in South Florida just as everyone else is around the country, unless you're a certain poster who I will not name that loves to brag about how much money he's making in every post.

This sums it up very nicely.

Back
Top Bottom