The case AGAINST BPA | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The case AGAINST BPA

TrinidadDolfan

1st Team All-Pro
Reaction score
The case against BPA on Thursday is quite simple, you simply don't overcrowd a talented position.
For all the BPA proponents, pick-by-pick progression is often (but not always) talent marginal..BUT, the team needs are not. The best approach is the BPNA, which is the "best player by NEED".
Would even the strongest BPA fan agree with a receiver at #22? Running back?

We have needs that have to be addressed. An OG does not make the line better, it makes RT better, it makes Landry and the receiving corps better, it makes the running game better. The converse goes for pass rush, it strangles the opposing passing game. You do not pass up that opportunity by adding to the logjam in our receiving lineup.

So.... pick the BEST player that will affect our W-L, NOT the BPA (unless they match). Anyone who thinks otherwise, would be pleased if we chose a receiver at BPA with our #22 pick.

In any sport you build a board and when it is your turn you take who you and your staff think makes your team better from that day forward. You can be upset at who we pick because you didnt get a player you thought could help but to some of this vile hatred of scouts and front office people I dont get. There is clear direction for the first time in years maybe since the 1st year with Parcells and goodness knows how many years we were just flapping in the breeze prior to that.

If the player is going to fit in and make us better then I will hop on the hype train right now.

Whomever they take, let me say welcome to the aqua and orange. Piece of advice DONT READ FINHEAVEN ON YOUR DAYS OFF.

BPA causes cancer. I am completely against it! I only use BPA-free bottles and containers.

In any sport you build a board and when it is your turn you take who you and your staff think makes your team better from that day forward. You can be upset at who we pick because you didnt get a player you thought could help but to some of this vile hatred of scouts and front office people I dont get. There is clear direction for the first time in years maybe since the 1st year with Parcells and goodness knows how many years we were just flapping in the breeze prior to that.

If the player is going to fit in and make us better then I will hop on the hype train right now.

Whomever they take, let me say welcome to the aqua and orange. Piece of advice DONT READ FINHEAVEN ON YOUR DAYS OFF.

Fully agree. Knee-jerk BPA sounds great, but can often be a disaster if it is clearly not a position that needs to be addressed.
Imagine a draft weekend where, at each pick, the BPA was a running back? lol Where would be the BPA advocates then???

It's always a blend of both theories. Especially for a team with as many problem areas as we have.

Everyone here could write an article supporting both ways or a mix. To the thread, one could list a bunch or scenarios where best player would be the best move.
The time the discussion matters most is when you know who's been taken who is left and you are on the clock.

Keep on mind that some people might view a player as the BAP at the moment we pick and some people might not. When we say BAP you have to ask, in who's eyes? Who decide who's the BAP? Last year we wasted picks on a WR when we didn't need one. That after we were tole we were going to build thru the draft. You can't build thru the draft by wasting several picks on a 4th string WR. You build by drafting players that have a real chance to fill a hole. Our draft this year is already limited thanks to wasting those 3 and 4 round picks last year. Tbaum thinks this is madden but it's not. Keep the darn picks and use them to draft players that we actually need.

Ozzy rules!!

BPA or BPNA, it doesn't matter to me. All I care about is whoever we take at 22 better kick some serious a$$ (on the football field)!

You just can't be a slave to need like Miami has been for so many years. That's when you start consistently getting less talent. On the flip side, it also means other teams are getting more talented players. The examples for the Dolphins are too many to name.

I do see your point, though. The Dolphins have a couple of glaring needs that do need to be addressed if the team is going to compete this year. One is guard and the other is strong-side linebacker.

Heres a case study on why not to follow your suggestion. Shulas final year followed your suggestion, team had huge Oline needs and drated Milner and Greene in the first 2 rounds Milner played one year and Greene never played in the NFL. Shula was fired after that year but we filled those Oline holes. Do it the Pats way draft a great rookie to replace a great player and then trade that great player the following year for draft picks. Look talent runs in cycles which means you draft the talent now that's on the table and wait on the future drafts to aquire the talent you need and use free agency to bridge the gap.

Heres a case study on why not to follow your suggestion. Shulas final year followed your suggestion, team had huge Oline needs and drated Milner and Greene in the first 2 rounds Milner played one year and Greene never played in the NFL. Shula was fired after that year but we filled those Oline holes. Do it the Pats way draft a great rookie to replace a great player and then trade that great player the following year for draft picks. Look talent runs in cycles which means you draft the talent now that's on the table and wait on the future drafts to aquire the talent you need and use free agency to bridge the gap.

Sorry, that is an example of plain bad evaluation. They clearly did not pick BPA if the 2 picks were garbage.
Also. remember that "BPNA" still has a "Best Player" component. Milner and Greene? They were both at a position of "Need", but neither of them were The "Best Player" at the position of need

Keep on mind that some people might view a player as the BAP at the moment we pick and some people might not. When we say BAP you have to ask, in who's eyes? Who decide who's the BAP? Last year we wasted picks on a WR when we didn't need one. That after we were tole we were going to build thru the draft. You can't build thru the draft by wasting several picks on a 4th string WR. You build by drafting players that have a real chance to fill a hole. Our draft this year is already limited thanks to wasting those 3 and 4 round picks last year. Tbaum thinks this is madden but it's not. Keep the darn picks and use them to draft players that we actually need. Ozzy rules!!
Zactly. BPA has too many variables. No one knows every team's prospect rankings. Of 32 teams, there are probably 8-10 different players ranked at #22. and teams throw scheme/fit into the rankings. To make it worse, just as posters here have position needs ranked differently, Miami's is going to differ from EVERYONE'S by R3. No one knows how interviews affect every team's BPA. And what happens if Miami's on the clock and their #20th ranked player (WR) is available and 21st ranked (DE) is available? At what point does pure PBA get trumped by need? I've said it elsewhere, I know of no team that drafts pure BPA. Certainly, 32 teams can't be wrong and a few fans right. Having said that, I can accept pure BPA at, say, R5 and below.

Zactly. BPA has too many variables. No one knows every team's prospect rankings. Of 32 teams, there are probably 8-10 different players ranked at #22. and teams throw scheme/fit into the rankings. To make it worse, just as posters here have position needs ranked differently, Miami's is going to differ from EVERYONE'S by R3. No one knows how interviews affect every team's BPA. And what happens if Miami's on the clock and their #20th ranked player (WR) is available and 21st ranked (DE) is available? At what point does pure PBA get trumped by need? I've said it elsewhere, I know of no team that drafts pure BPA. Certainly, 32 teams can't be wrong and a few fans right. Having said that, I can accept pure BPA at, say, R5 and below.

Right. Example, I believe we "need" a guard but the FO might feel like we're going to be fine with what we have. I believe that we will NOT get better by drafting a WR,RB,LT,QB,SS, or DT at 22. I believe our team will get better if we draft either a DE,LB,FS or guard at 22 as long as we take a good player. Those 4 spots are imo the weakest link as of now. We can also use a nickle corner. Time will tell what we do

Ozzy rules!!

Right. Example, I believe we "need" a guard but the FO might feel like we're going to be fine with what we have. I believe that we will NOT get better by drafting a WR,RB,LT,QB,SS, or DT at 22. I believe our team will get better if we draft either a DE,LB,FS or guard at 22 as long as we take a good player. Those 4 spots are imo the weakest link as of now. We can also use a nickle corner. Time will tell what we do Ozzy rules!!
I wish people would start plugging the word "my" into relevant sentences. For example, "there's no way Sid Luckman is #22 on MY board." With so many separate rankings, it is just about guaranteed whoever Miami picks will be the "wrong" player for 80% of posters. Personally, as long as each R4 and above pick is at a position of need, and, by consensus, is close to or above ranking, I'll not complain.

Right. Example, I believe we "need" a guard but the FO might feel like we're going to be fine with what we have. I believe that we will NOT get better by drafting a WR,RB,LT,QB,SS, or DT at 22. I believe our team will get better if we draft either a DE,LB,FS or guard at 22 as long as we take a good player. Those 4 spots are imo the weakest link as of now. We can also use a nickle corner. Time will tell what we do

Ozzy rules!!

Well said

Back
Top Bottom