The Case For Defense in Round One | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Case For Defense in Round One

Parsons is a guy to watch draft day. If these alleged character concerns cause him to slide, I would be interested in taking him at 18. I think Flores and Grier have done a good job drafting “safe” players that turn into decent starters (like Wilkins). However, they haven’t taken on a difficult to handle player (in the draft at least) with elite potential. Guys with high intangibles are great for the foundation of a franchise, but you also need guys with All-Pro potential.

Free Agency should give us a pretty good idea if we go Meat and Potatoes or Skill. I have no problems making this an elite defense through the early part of the draft. I would hope we grab A.Jones RB and a difference maker WR in FA first and not look to wait until after the draft.

Parsons and Rousseau would be amazing additions to this defense.
They don’t have the cap space that other teams with similar needs have. They might be able to sign one of the top 3 or 4 WR’s in Free agency but I don’t see them being able to sign one of the top WR’s and Jones.
The Dolphins led the league in scoring defense until the last game of the regular season. So while Parsons and Rousseau might upgrade the defense. Unless the Dolphins offense is vastly improved next year, they will once again be on the outside of the playoffs once the regular season is over.

Drafting 2 defensive players in the first round makes no sense to me. If Parsons and Rousseau drop into the second round, they might be worth ignoring offense to take one of them in that round.

Last edited:
Personally I’d love to see us split. I’d like to see parsons at 3 then trade up with our 18 and a second and maybe a 2 or 3 next year and get into position for smith/waddle/chase/Pitts
You get a lot more bang for your buck trading down to around number 8. Parsons is probably there at 8 and the draft haul for moving down is too rich.

Pass rushers aren’t a strong area of this draft unfortunately, hopefully they can discover one

They don’t have the cap space that other teams with similar needs have. They might be able to sign one of the top 3 or 4 WR’s I. Free agency but I don’t see them being able to sign one of the top WR’s and Jones.
The Dolphins led the league in scoring defense until the last game of the regular season. So while Parsons and Rousseau might upgrade the defense. Unless the Dolphins offense is vastly improved next year, they will once again be on the outside of the playoffs once the regular season is over.

Drafting 2 defensive players in the first round makes no sense to me. If Parsons and Rousseau drop into the second round, they might be worth ignoring offense to take one of them in that round.
If it's my choice I go offense, offense, offense - I'm all over D.Smith and trading up for K.Pitts in the first.

I'm just saying I have no problem going defense and making it elite. Our defense made such a huge impact on our offense, scoring field position, 3 and outs etc... I can only see a greater benefit by really improving a couple areas of weakness - ILB and Edge rusher.

I know I said a difference maker at WR, so let me adjust a C.Samuel improves our Receiving core and signing A.Jones really makes a huge difference in our Offense. Therefore allowing us to go Defense in the 1st round.

if that was the case what i would do is trade down from 3, and get at least one more 2nd rounder. Then draft mostly O from there on.
I just have this feeling that Miami isn't going wide receiver at #3. I do think this draft will be mostly offense, as it should be. But, I think Flores and Grier will find receivers a little later.

Of course, I could be wrong. Also, let's see what happens in free agency. If the Dolphins sign a receiver, I think the odds are they go in a different direction at #3, or with a trade down.

My first thought is OP has, masochistic tendancies, is just trying to stir the pot, has been smoking pot, or simply misplaced his meds.

Seriously though. I wouldn't assume Flo is a purely defense coach. I think he and Grier had a comprehensive plan and schedule for institution from the beginning.

Phase one: Teardown shedding bad contracts and bring sanity to the cap situation. As it turned out, we were able to stockpile draft capital at the same time. Complete

Phase two: Address the defense and O-line through FA, as well as the draft, making sure we have enough quality DBs to execute his multiple philosophy. Get a QB to build around. Close to complete.

Phase three: Add skill position players, and other upgrades where possible. Coming soon to a stadium near you.

The Covid situation threw a couple monkeys in the wrench as far as timetable, but it's the same with most franchises.

That's a long post to basically say the offense will be addressed early in the draft. I don't think all of our top 2 rd picks will be on skills, but at least two high profile offensive guys, and maybe more if we can find a trade down.
I fully expect a draft that focuses on offense. That what Miami should do. But, I don't think Flores will ignore the defensive side.

It will be interesting to see what the team does in free agency. I'd look for a pass rusher there, but if the Dolphins sign a top wide receiver then I think that #3 pick could go in a number of directions.

No need to make a case for a pick on defense. Flores loves defense but he knows he needs the offense to be much better in order to help out our defense. I can see one pick in the first round going to defense but not both and I highly doubt we'd go defense with our top pick.

No need to make a case for a pick on defense. Flores loves defense but he knows he needs the offense to be much better in order to help out our defense. I can see one pick in the first round going to defense but not both and I highly doubt we'd go defense with our top pick.
I tend to agree unless there is a trade down from #3. Free agency will obviously give us some clues as well.

I think Parsons is the wildcard for Miami.

Sewell and Najee will do more for the defense and offense, imo.

This WR class is deeeep. And if there's an early run on WR's, there's a good chance somebody's gonna drop to 18. If not, gimme Rondale Moore and scary Terry in the second.

Sewell and Najee will do more for the defense and offense, imo.

This WR class is deeeep. And if there's an early run on WR's, there's a good chance somebody's gonna drop to 18. If not, gimme Rondale Moore and scary Terry in the second.
That's not a bad option. Sewell is probably the most likely player to be elite in this draft.

I really like both Harris and Williams at running back. Maybe a trade down from #18, get another pick, and draft one of the two?

But you are right. That would do a lot for the defense. Miami would be able to run the clock late in games.

Back
Top Bottom