The Case For Defense in Round One | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Case For Defense in Round One

My prediction is Parsons will drop to at least 14. No way are we or anyone else taking him at 3. He has all the tools but no tool box.

I'm more or less playing Devils Advocate with this argument. I want us to draft an offensive tackle first (Sewell or Slater) and then come back around at 18 with a weapon (Marshall or Bateman) or trade up from 18 for a weapon (Waddle or Pitts).

With that being said, there is no doubt that we still have a few holes on defense, particularly in the front 7, and there is a case to be made for us to go defense in round 1 and make ourselves into a potentially super dominant D.

3rd overall - Micah Parsons
Fills the void in the middle of our defense as a big, elite MLB that can also rush the passer from the middle of your defense or move to rush off the edge on passing situations. Kid kills it against the run and can rush the passer like crazy. He's not great YET in coverage but he can develop and be our new Zach Thomas with better pass rush ability and a lot more speed.

18th overall (or trade up) - Rousseau or Paye

Big, Elite DE prospects that both have the ability to speed rush off the edge or bull rush or stunt. On the other side of Ogbah, either one of these guys can produce immediately and become star pass rushers that can also play the run. Rousseau is more raw but might have more upside as a Jason Taylor type that can do it all... Has a similar frame to JT but has the ability to add more bulk.

Like I said, I'd prefer us to go offense in round 1... However, knowing the mindset of our coach and GM and knowing how we want to be built as a dominant defensive team, I wouldn't be surprised if our first round was all defense... And I wouldn't be mad. With additions like Parsons and Paye to go along with our elite secondary - if we can also add a fat, run stuffing Nose Tackle in FA or in round 3 or 4, suddenly our defense has no holes (besides MAYBE a little weak at FS) and we can have a super elite D for years to come.

Thoughts?
This shows how many needs we really have.
If we trade down, it would give us more picks.

Parsons is a guy to watch draft day. If these alleged character concerns cause him to slide, I would be interested in taking him at 18. I think Flores and Grier have done a good job drafting “safe” players that turn into decent starters (like Wilkins). However, they haven’t taken on a difficult to handle player (in the draft at least) with elite potential. Guys with high intangibles are great for the foundation of a franchise, but you also need guys with All-Pro potential.
Doesn’t this describe Minka? The guy we traded to Pittsburgh.

Doesn’t this describe Minka? The guy we traded to Pittsburgh.
He isn't here, hasn't been in almost two years, and isn't coming back.

How is your comment relavent, in any way, to the reality of the present situation? Sour grapes are not attractive.

Biguns.jpg

I'd rather take another QB. Id rather take Sewell. And I hate both of those ideas. This idea is off the charts disappointing.

Turning strong units into stronger units has always been a viable draft strategy. But it's an offensive league now (even if I dislike it), and I think offense is stronger in this draft.

If we hit on great players, it doesn't matter where they play, it's great. And if you get total busts it also doesn't matter what position. But if we get solid starters it will help way more on offense now. I like the trade down and up strategy I've been hearing for Smith/Chase Waddle -whoever's left, and either Parsons or Pitts. But I just don't think it will happen.

I do not want to have to draft at 3. Nobody stands out that much for me Hopefully somebody wants Fields and is willing to give us their 1st this yr and second, along with a 1st next yr. I hope Wilson and Fields have amazing pro days As long as we stay in the top 10 with our 1st pick we get a very good w/o. The ability to grab a guy like Parsons , or Pitts if they fall, from our draft capital we got from trading out of 3, still pick at 18 and keep all of our draft this yr and next. This would be huge. If we can not trade out of 3 , I think we need to draft Smith. Give your QB what he wants

I'm wondering if there is 1- 2 FA's that can shore up our D and we focus on offense

Our D was on the field way to often last season (I haven't compared T.O.P. so take it easy stat chasers lol)

It would make sense to me to look for help for Tua with the plan to control the ball ... and score of course

Seems like if you can't avg. 28 ppg then your pi$$ing in the wind and a few of those games better be in the upper 30's

That said I wouldn't hate more talent on D... the other side of that coin is points allowed ... avg. of 12 sounds like a number I could live with

He isn't here, hasn't been in almost two years, and isn't coming back.

How is your comment relavent, in any way, to the reality of the present situation? Sour grapes are not attractive.

View attachment 65953
You completely missed my point. Perhaps I phrased it poorly.
I was trying to say that since Flo did not want Minka, seemingly due to attitude, it might suggest he would value Parsons less.

You completely missed my point. Perhaps I phrased it poorly.
I was trying to say that since Flo did not want Minka, seemingly due to attitude, it might suggest he would value Parsons less.
You didn't "phrase it poorly". You said nothing of the sort.

Now I understand, but I don't think the issues with the two are comparable.

We have brought in guys with less than spotless pasts. IDK about a first rd pick.

Still haven’t seen anything on parsons level in terms of talent and upside on either side of the ball.

I will trade up for the wr/pitts if Miami clears parsons for character and run this card up.

and probably be content just rolling with what I have in house and rolling with this monster on defense to take it to a whole nother level.

If parsons doesn’t clear then I will look at zaven Collins later. Just not sure I’m looking at him at 18

maybe I am. Van noys eventual replacement.

I do not want to have to draft at 3. Nobody stands out that much for me Hopefully somebody wants Fields and is willing to give us their 1st this yr and second, along with a 1st next yr. I hope Wilson and Fields have amazing pro days As long as we stay in the top 10 with our 1st pick we get a very good w/o. The ability to grab a guy like Parsons , or Pitts if they fall, from our draft capital we got from trading out of 3, still pick at 18 and keep all of our draft this yr and next. This would be huge. If we can not trade out of 3 , I think we need to draft Smith. Give your QB what he wants

I’m fine with trading down a couple spots with the Eagles or Panthers as long as we get Smith or Chase. Don’t see us drafting any player with serious character concerns like Parsons and no way we draft an olineman at 3.

I’m fine with trading down a couple spots with the Eagles or Panthers as long as we get Smith or Chase. Don’t see us drafting any player with serious character concerns like Parsons and no way we draft an olineman at 3.
I like that strategy. Smith is the player I most want in this draft. Had Chase played this year, he might be my first choice.

But trading down a few spots and getting more picks makes a lot of sense.

I do keep coming back to Parsons, though. Just seems like a player Flores would pound the table for.

I don't know if he character concerns are serious, or just a lack of maturity. Miami will have to make that call.

Back
Top Bottom