The Case For Defense in Round One | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Case For Defense in Round One

If parsons goes through all of the upcoming tests , and Flo likes him . I would love him on our team or we pay David.

Free Agency should give us a pretty good idea if we go Meat and Potatoes or Skill. I have no problems making this an elite defense through the early part of the draft. I would hope we grab A.Jones RB and a difference maker WR in FA first and not look to wait until after the draft.

Parsons and Rousseau would be amazing additions to this defense.
It would be idiocy to spend money on a RB in FA. Gaskin and Ahmed are both good enough, in tandem, a quality draft pick RB.
Our REAL cap situation is that we have to pay a center and maybe afford one more average NFL starter somewhere.
D is where our FA dollars should go.
Sheldon Rankins, IMO shuts the opponents running game down and all the peripheral benefits of that kick in. More 3rd and longs where our team strength really dominates.
Get pressure on the QB up the middle and that certainly stops the opposing QB from being able to peel a grape back there.
Lack of pass rush was even more damning to our chances to win vs Buffalo than anything else. Allen had all day back there, especially compared to how any of the playoff opponents of Buffalo played him.
Both Baltimore And KC made Allen look very mortal.

It would be idiocy to spend money on a RB in FA. Gaskin and Ahmed are both good enough, in tandem, a quality draft pick RB.
Our REAL cap situation is that we have to pay a center and maybe afford one more average NFL starter somewhere.
D is where our FA dollars should go.
Sheldon Rankins, IMO shuts the opponents running game down and all the peripheral benefits of that kick in. More 3rd and longs where our team strength really dominates.
Get pressure on the QB up the middle and that certainly stops the opposing QB from being able to peel a grape back there.
Lack of pass rush was even more damning to our chances to win vs Buffalo than anything else. Allen had all day back there, especially compared to how any of the playoff opponents of Buffalo played him.
Both Baltimore And KC made Allen look very mortal.
I don't care how we fill the holes. A.Jones means we don't draft a RB high in the draft, I get people don't want to pay RB's but it allows us to draft another defender or fill another hole. A FA pass rusher may cost close to 20mil a season and that ain't happening although I'd love to get Shaq Barrett, lol. We don't have the high quality pass rushers to get to a QB rushing 4, we seem to have to blitz to free people up...which in turn affects how we defend. I'm sure Rankins would help (and I'd love to sign him) but not to the extent it wins us significant playoff games.
No matter what it will be an interesting off season.

I don't care how we fill the holes. A.Jones means we don't draft a RB high in the draft, I get people don't want to pay RB's but it allows us to draft another defender or fill another hole. A FA pass rusher may cost close to 20mil a season and that ain't happening although I'd love to get Shaq Barrett, lol. We don't have the high quality pass rushers to get to a QB rushing 4, we seem to have to blitz to free people up...which in turn affects how we defend. I'm sure Rankins would help (and I'd love to sign him) but not to the extent it wins us significant playoff games.
No matter what it will be an interesting off season.
The part that I hate about drafting a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round is that so few of them are signed to a second contract... either because they want a mint of money, or the fact that they just aren't good/healthy long enough.

This means that you have to draft one every four years... and this becomes a high % of picks that you allocate to the RB (Math: 4 years, 12 picks in the first three rounds, one RB every 4 years 8.5%) ...and that's if he actually works out.

To me, this seems like you end up over-allocating resources for a position that most think you don't actually spend resources upon.

...and that's why I try to obtain these critters outside of that window. Could I get Aaron Jones on the cheap in a down cap year? Could I get a guy in the 4th round or later who would work (because the draft was deep at RB that year)

So... I'm open to Jones or a few of the others if the price is right, because as many have said Ahmed/Gaskin is part of the answer.

I'd love for this to happen.

Drop down, get another late 1st or early 2nd. Then 2 out of Surtain, Parsons, Collins, or Rousseau. Then Harris, Marshall, Rodgers or Toney in the 2nd.

I would be ecstatic.

I'd love for this to happen.

Drop down, get another late 1st or early 2nd. Then 2 out of Surtain, Parsons, Collins, or Rousseau. Then Harris, Marshall, Rodgers or Toney in the 2nd.

I would be ecstatic.
Me too brother... this WR pool is REALLY deep and grabbing smallish Flankers because they were really good while playing for stacked teams thing... to me, it is buying high... like those who bought Game Stop at 400.

The part that I hate about drafting a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round is that so few of them are signed to a second contract... either because they want a mint of money, or the fact that they just aren't good/healthy long enough.

This means that you have to draft one every four years... and this becomes a high % of picks that you allocate to the RB (Math: 4 years, 12 picks in the first three rounds, one RB every 4 years 8.5%) ...and that's if he actually works out.

To me, this seems like you end up over-allocating resources for a position that most think you don't actually spend resources upon.

...and that's why I try to obtain these critters outside of that window. Could I get Aaron Jones on the cheap in a down cap year? Could I get a guy in the 4th round or later who would work (because the draft was deep at RB that year)

So... I'm open to Jones or a few of the others if the price is right, because as many have said Ahmed/Gaskin is part of the answer.
That's a really good point. But maybe you draft someone who beats the odds?

To play devils advocate, why pass up a talent who could give you elite play at the position. Even if it's just for 4-6 years?

In general, though, I do agree.

To be real.. I would wk on offense..1st and 2nd round..this team need playmaker bad.

Zach Wilson should really go #2 overall. He's pretty amazing.
The question is 'how much does someone want Fields?'
We could potentially only trade down one pick. I dont see a team outside of the top 10 throwing assets down the hole for Fields.
If a team trades up with us, they will be a team already in the top 10, IMO.

That's a really good point. But maybe you draft someone who beats the odds?

To play devils advocate, why pass up a talent who could give you elite play at the position. Even if it's just for 4-6 years?

In general, though, I do agree.
Because it isn't for 4-6 years really... guys drafted in the second round ALL get 4 year contracts. ...and the troubling thing for me is this, if they overperform and become the RB we dream about, then they want huge money-- money I don't really want to allocate to a RB. If they are merely 'good', then you may have over-drafted them taking them in the second, and they still want a big raise after that fourth year.

Yes, I am in favour of churning at the RB position in today's game, absolutely, but this doesn't mean that I want to do that churn to be fueled with high draft picks.

I know that I'm playing both sides here, but the BEST thing that we could hope for... is a lower round churn and the occasional smart 2-3 year FA investment.

thing about David is he projects best as a wilb which is where Jerome baker is...
Hoops... I’ve read that Parsons has trouble reading plays and I’ve heard the phrase “All the tools but no tool box” used with Parsons. What’s your take on that?

Because it isn't for 4-6 years really... guys drafted in the second round ALL get 4 year contracts. ...and the troubling thing for me is this, if they overperform and become the RB we dream about, then they want huge money-- money I don't really want to allocate to a RB. If they are merely 'good', then you may have over-drafted them taking them in the second, and they still want a big raise after that fourth year.

Yes, I am in favour of churning at the RB position in today's game, absolutely, but this doesn't mean that I want to do that churn to be fueled with high draft picks.

I know that I'm playing both sides here, but the BEST thing that we could hope for... is a lower round churn and the occasional smart 2-3 year FA investment.
It's a bit of a slippery slope with running backs. Careers like Frank Gore's are rare.

I'm certainly not in favor of spending big dollars on Aaron Jones, but spending a second round pick on a Najee Harris type I'm down with.

I get your point about spending picks every four years, but if that's what's needed so be it.

Eventually, I'd like Miami to have an above average running back.

It's a bit of a slippery slope with running backs. Careers like Frank Gore's are rare.

I'm certainly not in favor of spending big dollars on Aaron Jones, but spending a second round pick on a Najee Harris type I'm down with.

I get your point about spending picks every four years, but if that's what's needed so be it.

Eventually, I'd like Miami to have an above average running back.
I understand your POV, but I pray that it isn't for Najee Harris.

I see that guys advanced age and running style and I swear that it screams 'short career'.

I understand your POV, but I pray that it isn't for Najee Harris.

I see that guys advanced age and running style and I swear that it screams 'short career'.
That is a legitimate concern. A lot of these power backs need to figure out when to scale it back a bit and not take unnecessary hits.

Williams is actually the back I want most for Miami in the draft, but I'd admittedly feel happy with Harris in round 2. Not at #18, though.

I just don't want the team to always be relying on the Gaskin type late rounders. He is decent, a hard worker etc, but the Dolphins need someone better.

Back
Top Bottom