The Case For Defense in Round One | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Case For Defense in Round One

I'd be pissed if we didn't take an offensive playmaker in the first round, regardless of what we do in FA. It's a must. All of the elite football teams in the NFL have one thing in common: elite playmakers, especially at wide receiver.
And none of them ever come from the second round?

I don’t follow college football...

I have no idea how to draft or evaluate talent....

that said I feel confident that this off season is gonna blow people’s minds

Flo won ten games - w less talent then most teams that won 6 this year...

the team will be overhauled...

peoples fantasies about this player or that are not Flo’s priority at all...

He’s gonna get rid of many players that you think are mainstays here -X could be gone - Gisecki - McCain -

I predict he’s going for 6 draft picks in the first 10 to 50 players drafted....

he’s also gonna buy 6 free agents - bc this year w salary cap casualties tons of talent is gonna free up....

I think people who love a certain receiver or rb are gonna be sad bc Flo is going in a totally different direction....

2 olinemen - 2 receivers - edge rusher - lb and safety in fa

2 receivers - 2 RB - a center - 2 d lineman - a lb and safety in draft....

it’s gonna get wild....

I really wish there was a blue chip edge rusher in this draft class i.e. a Bosa, Young, etc...none worth a top 5 pick let alone top 10 for us. Anyone else would be a reach that is unacceptable(Parsons would be the least reach but still stretch armstronging it).

Rousseau interests me cuz of size and his ability to rush from the inside, but is he a run game liability, can he rush from the edge? I think Flo would have have fun with him but will he execute? But Paye seems to more a Flo type. Rousseau really threw a wrench into things by opting out...not sure if it will help or hurt, but something tells me he will FEED at the combine, but will it translate? *cough*Gholston

Definately need offense at 1A or trade WITHIN top 10 and grab a WR/Pitts, would love Najee or another WR at 18 (Bateman, Moore, Toney).

I wouldn't cry if we went defense at 18 but I'd start my SSRI again if we went D at 3 even for Parsons. At 1B the only D boiz I would be satisfied with would be Parsons (long gone most def), Zaven Collins, Owusu-Koramoah, or Rousseau. Or PSII just cause his father was a gawd(phat chance he's sitting there).

2nd round can fortify the OL grab def grab a C,/G. Maybe 2 if there's no edge rushing talent worthy. With Raekwon and Wilkins I like out DTs esp if Davon doesn't disappear.

If we can effectively trade down from #3 then going D in R1 will be a certainty IMO.

The trade should give us 3 R2s to address the O very effectively.

And none of them ever come from the second round?

Not sure where I said that, but not a fan of that logical in general.

Tom Brady was a 7th round pick. Does that mean QB needy teams should wait until day 3 to address the position?

My issue is declaring yourself at #3.

Unless you feel Sewell is the 2nd coming of then you trade down. You don't have to trade far in order to pick up premium picks. I don't think i'll be happy with any selection at #3 unless they immediately become a pro bowl type player. We earned a **** ton of draft capital by trading Tunsil, there's little need to spend it all during such a weird season.

Not sure where I said that, but not a fan of that logical in general.

Tom Brady was a 7th round pick. Does that mean QB needy teams should wait until day 3 to address the position?
No... but neither does it imply that you should reach for a player who fills a position that you feel is a need when there are superior height/weight/speed players at other positions where you have a need... especially when your position of 'need' has a VERY deep pool.

Or in layman's terms, there are at least a dozen good WR prospects... and some of the ones on non-top 5 schools may actually be better bets... and will slide into day 2.

If Miami signs Robinson, they just might go defense x2 in the first round. 2nd round RB and OL... may be onto something.

I'm more or less playing Devils Advocate with this argument. I want us to draft an offensive tackle first (Sewell or Slater) and then come back around at 18 with a weapon (Marshall or Bateman) or trade up from 18 for a weapon (Waddle or Pitts).

With that being said, there is no doubt that we still have a few holes on defense, particularly in the front 7, and there is a case to be made for us to go defense in round 1 and make ourselves into a potentially super dominant D.

3rd overall - Micah Parsons
Fills the void in the middle of our defense as a big, elite MLB that can also rush the passer from the middle of your defense or move to rush off the edge on passing situations. Kid kills it against the run and can rush the passer like crazy. He's not great YET in coverage but he can develop and be our new Zach Thomas with better pass rush ability and a lot more speed.

18th overall (or trade up) - Rousseau or Paye

Big, Elite DE prospects that both have the ability to speed rush off the edge or bull rush or stunt. On the other side of Ogbah, either one of these guys can produce immediately and become star pass rushers that can also play the run. Rousseau is more raw but might have more upside as a Jason Taylor type that can do it all... Has a similar frame to JT but has the ability to add more bulk.

Like I said, I'd prefer us to go offense in round 1... However, knowing the mindset of our coach and GM and knowing how we want to be built as a dominant defensive team, I wouldn't be surprised if our first round was all defense... And I wouldn't be mad. With additions like Parsons and Paye to go along with our elite secondary - if we can also add a fat, run stuffing Nose Tackle in FA or in round 3 or 4, suddenly our defense has no holes (besides MAYBE a little weak at FS) and we can have a super elite D for years to come.

Thoughts?
it wouldn't be a shocker if they go parsons (in a trade down). I still recall our defense gave up 56 to the bills 2nd teamers in week 17. I don't care how bad the offense plays, great defenses don't give up that many points

I'd love for this to happen.

Drop down, get another late 1st or early 2nd. Then 2 out of Surtain, Parsons, Collins, or Rousseau. Then Harris, Marshall, Rodgers or Toney in the 2nd.

I would be ecstatic.
Well, getting another late first is pretty much out of the question without going into next year's picks, and that is costly. Only two teams have an extra first to throw in, with one being the jests, and that's not a viable scenario.

But the question is, how far will Parsons fall in the draft? With his off the field issues it makes you wonder. Flores may not want to have anything to do with him.
I keep seeing this but what, exactly, are the off field issues? I've never found anything that egregious. I've heard rumors about a locker room scuffle involving a knife, but he wasn't the one that pulled the knife. I've heard rumors of some "hazing" type activities, but who knows exactly what went on there either?

I mean did he beat up his GF? Was he part of a thug type gang growing up? It seems quite nebulous.

From what I understand of the situation, there's a lot of he said/he said here. I attribute it to immaturity until I hear something more concrete.

I also maintain that that type of behavior is fairly self policing in NFL locker rooms full of high character grown men.

Not saying it isn't something that needs to be looked into, but I'm sure the organization has/will if they have any interest is selecting Parsons.

I keep seeing this but what, exactly, are the off field issues? I've never found anything that egregious. I've heard rumors about a locker room scuffle involving a knife, but he wasn't the one that pulled the knife. I've heard rumors of some "hazing" type activities, but who knows exactly what went on there either?

I mean did he beat up his GF? Was he part of a thug type gang growing up? It seems quite nebulous.

From what I understand of the situation, there's a lot of he said/he said here. I attribute it to immaturity until I hear something more concrete.

I also maintain that that type of behavior is fairly self policing in NFL locker rooms full of high character grown men.

Not saying it isn't something that needs to be looked into, but I'm sure the organization has/will if they have any interest is selecting Parsons.
He had issues in highschool as well and transferred because of it. Its been a long time since the interview process could help or hurt a prospect as much as Parsons. He could literally be a top 5 pick or out of the 1st round depending on how they go.

Back
Top Bottom