The Case for drafting Marcus Peters vs. DeVante Parker | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Case for drafting Marcus Peters vs. DeVante Parker

BenchFiedler

Undrafted Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
First of all, I'm not saying that DeVante parker is a bust or will be a bust... But at the time of the draft, we were already loaded at WR and we wanted to improve this defense who choked last year vs Detroit, Denver, etc..

Several mock drafts had the Dolphins drafting Marcus Peters and CB was a bigger need than WR. Now we have 2 very good midget CB's and a WR that is very good but also in a very good WR group.

When we look back at this draft, what would be more logical/productive? Drafting Peters or Parker??? Unless you guys think J.Taylor is the answer at CB

My simple quick answer is Parker. I'm planning on him being a stud for years to come.. Here's hoping :brewskis:

Well two games don't make a career obviously Peters is looking like a stud and a much better pick at this point.

Now I do question is it because of Peters or us it because of a pressuring front 7.

QB pressure always will make CBS be better and based off your offseason signings that's what you tried to improve.

Also at the time of the draft I would not exactly call your WR position loaded

I dont think our receivers are as stacked as you do apparently. My guess is Jennings, age, and Stills, contract is up, have a high likelihood of not returning. Although I would like the pick for Stills not to go wasted for just one season of worth. But that would leave us with Parker, Landry and Mathews. I personally would love to keep that as our 3 top receivers for the foreseeable future and do not regret the Parker pick in the least....Certainly not yet.

Parker has elite physical tools and we were lucky he dropped to us. Peters had a nice game the other night, and he also has great physical skills, but you have to take all factors into account.

Remember, Peters was dismissed from Washington, so there were character concerns. The Dolphins were also prioritizing the improvement of their red zone efficiency and quick strike ability on offense. Parker was an immediate solution.

Me nah!! I actually wanted Kevin White but willing to settle for DP... Peters never even crossed my mind.

A WR group, that ends up looking mediocre without Parker next year . . . and one that is pretty overrated without him this year.

Landry, Stills (last year of contract and still unproven with Tannehill), Jennings (potentially over the hill or cut), Matthews (FA), Hazel (who knows)

I mean you just signed your QB to a 100 million dollar deal . . . . getting him a big target down the field, in the redzone, as a possession guy . . . can only help.

And lets not pretend that Marcus Peters was this "squeaky clean" prospect either . . . everybody knew the talent was there but he was kicked off the team at UW and many people stated he was so emotionally unstable that they wouldn't trust him in the top 50 picks. He never fit the bill to Miami IMO, at least not the Miami under Dennis Hickey (could of seen Tannenbaum take a look).

Only 2 games . . . very premature argument.

We have a very good, young passing nucleus (Tannehill, Landry, Parker), that can mature together and should hopefully make our passing game a strength for several years. No way I would give that up.

I wish Peters the best, but he carried major red flags into the draft. You can see that he has all the physical tools and instincts you'd want. Beyond his issues with coaches and dismissal from the team, he performed poorly at the Combine - given his actual talent. If he keeps it together, he'll probably be a better player than Parker, but Parker doesn't carry the same concerns, and he looks like someone who will develop into a very good player. I can't blame the FO for playing it safe here. If they were going to take a risk on someone, I'd have gone with Gregory before Peters.

I just think people are a little apprehensive because they really haven't seen Parker in action . . . while Peters is having great success with KC.

Make no mistakes about it, Parker is the most talented guy in this WR group . . . if Stills ends up building a great rapport with Tannehill . . . . the trio of Kenny, Jarvis and Devante could be the best young trio in the league IMO.

A WR group, that ends up looking mediocre without Parker next year . . . and one that is pretty overrated without him this year.

Landry, Stills (last year of contract and still unproven with Tannehill), Jennings (potentially over the hill or cut), Matthews (FA), Hazel (who knows)

I mean you just signed your QB to a 100 million dollar deal . . . . getting him a big target down the field, in the redzone, as a possession guy . . . can only help.

And lets not pretend that Marcus Peters was this "squeaky clean" prospect either . . . everybody knew the talent was there but he was kicked off the team at UW and many people stated he was so emotionally unstable that they wouldn't trust him in the top 50 picks. He never fit the bill to Miami IMO, at least not the Miami under Dennis Hickey (could of seen Tannenbaum take a look).

Only 2 games . . . very premature argument.

Stills is under contract through 2016 at a salary of $675K.

No question in my mind of Parker being the best choice and BPA.

How quickly we forget. In most mocks that had us selecting Peters it was because they had Parker and Waynes going before us so Peters would have been the best available for us.

My short list of wants leading into the draft was either trading up for White or Cooper or staying put and drafting Parker or Peters, whichever was available. Since they were both there I'm stoked they went with Parker though. Peters will be a stud db but Parker will be elite.

Back
Top Bottom