The cautionary reality of rookie Tight Ends | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The cautionary reality of rookie Tight Ends

Even if it takes Pitts a year or two to reach his potential..... his ceiling is a top 3 NFL TE.

I keep looking at the Chiefs and wondering how good would they he without Kelcie? Probably still a very good team but with a dominant TE they are a contender every season.

On top of that, Tua reminds me alot of Brees, who had a couple rather good TEs in Graham & Gates.

I understand why all of these people are hesitant about a TE. History tells you time and time again that TE's don't start strong and they take a few years to develop.

Remember that Pitts is a TE/WR. He can be lined up as a TE and can be lined up all up and down the line as a reciever.

He is not your typical TE so you can not use the same data on him as you would someone who plays only TE.

Comparing him to Waller early on isn't an accurate comp.

Waller was actively sabotaging himself early on. Dude was taking almost every drug under the sun his years with the Ravens. Dude was in a bad place mentally.

FWIW, I think the best comparison to Pitts is Shannon Sharpe, who wasn't a great blocker, but went over 1000 yards three times in the 90s, when TEs simply did not do that, and eventually made it into the HoF.

Sharpe caught 7 passes for 99 yards his rookie year, 22 for 322 his 2nd year before breaking out. Hopefully Pitts, number one, will land here and number two, will be more like Keith Jackson his first two years and more like Sharpe the rest of the way. No reason it can't happen.

I'm more pessimistic about Pitts making it to Miami than about him having a great career. But maybe, just maybe...

Back
Top Bottom