The cautionary reality of rookie Tight Ends | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The cautionary reality of rookie Tight Ends

Alot expect this kid to be the best TE in the league form day one and with that at least 1200 yards and 12 TDs.

I wouldn't want to be that kid when he doesn't come close to that.

I fear for that kid if he's drafted by this franchise.

Have you seen what they want to do to a rookie QB barely healed from a gruesome injury?

I'd be totally fine with pitts being the pick but for people talking about two TE's sets, stop for a second and consider neither Gesicki nor Pitts is a great blocker so if you have both of them out there at the same time the defense will know you're not running the ball. Stop comparing these two to Gronk and Hernandez. Grock was/is a great blocker and Hernandez was a better blocker than both Pitts and Gesicki.

When you run a two TE set the ideal is to have at least one of them being a good/great blocker. That way you can either run the ball or throw it without the other team knowing what you're going to do. Again, I'd be totally happy with Pitts being the pick but that should have nothing to do with two TE's sets. I can really see the team trading MG if Pitts is the pick at 6.
Danny,
You have to consider how the game is played nowadays. Personnel on the field dictates everything. We don't have to line up big or with great run blocking TE's to run the ball. That's old style football. Where best big man wins. The game has evolved to where the bigger faster man doesn't always win. So when you say having Gesicki and Pitts both on the field at once and neither can block you aren't considering that when those two are on the field not many teams are ever going to be in heavy packages with lots of LB's and DL. If defenses do try that, we will absolutely toast them in the passing game because no LB is going to cover either one of these guys. Defenses will go to nickel and dime packages as a base defense when they are on the field, and Pitts and Gesicki will have no problem blocking Safeties, Corners, and smaller coverage LB's.

It's quite the opposite of what you were suggesting. We will run all over them and by the way, not only will most defenses have smaller packages on the field personnel wise, they will also be a lot more likely to be calls that are more pass conscious rather than looking to stop the run.

If our coaches are worth their salt they will exploit this fact and we should have an unbelievable year on offense if we add Pitts and a special RB.

Last edited:
I feel like this topic needs to be addressed as we very well could draft Kyle Pitts. Who is my preference at #6 in the draft.

Tight ends are not like running backs and wide recivers when it comes to production early on in their carrers.

First example is Veron Davis, who has very similar measurables comming out of college. Davis's start to his career......

Year 1: 20 Rec. 265 Yards. 3 TDs.
Year 2: 52 Rec. 509 Yards. 4 TDs

Second let's look at another Pro who has been compared to Pitts...... Darren Waller.

Year 1: 2 Rec. 18 Yards. 0 TDs
Year 2: 10 Rec. 85 Yards. 2 TDs.
Year 3: 6 Rec. 75 Yards. 0 TDs

Third lets look at Travis Kelcie.

Year 1: 0 Rec. 0 Yards 0 TDs.... only played in 1 game.

One more for s**** and giggles. Jason Witten.

Year 1: 35 Rec. 347 Yards. 1 TD

I'm bringing up this rather alarming metaphoric bucket of cold water, to warn everyone that Pitts may take a year or two to really become the player alot of us think he will be. Its not nessesarly a bad thing, but the Pitts hype train is starting to gain so much momentum that im worried some of our fanbase doesn't realize this very normal aspect about drafting a tight end.

If we take Pitts, we need to be realistic with our expectations early on.
Also, keep in mind offensive scheme plays a large part in production as well as chemistry with the QB. If you are selecting Kyle Pitts as the 4-6th player in this draft, it is because you most likely plan to feature the guy as a big part of your offense. I really don't think you can adequately compare him to anybody that has come out of college and say yep that's what is going to happen to him.

My biggest concern with Pitts is Tua being hesitant to make aggressive throws. I expect Tua to improve in that area. I also think the NFL learning curve for TEs plus Tua adjusting to the NFL could lead to Pitts have a lackluster start to his career (in Miami). I think Smith, Waddle or Chase would end up Tua’s #1 target as rookies as they fit his style of play more.

"Fit his style of play more" Whaatt? Have you watched Pitts tape? Tua is one of the best at throwing quick breaking routes that you'll see and Kyle Pitts excels at his ability to make those moves. Tua also thrives off RPO and throwing while rolling out, again Pitts is the perfect security blanket for that.

Comparing him to one of the best WRs to ever play is a bit much at this point, don't you think? Let the kid play a snap in the nfl before you compare him to a HOF guy in a different position. I see what you're getting at regarding body type, but Pitts is a TE which means he'll do TE things like blocking in line. Even if he only does that 20% of the time that's taking 20% of snaps away from pass catching opportunity. So yeah, that'll make an impact on his production.

Also, Johnson only had 750 or so yards his rookie year. Good rookie year but not lights out by any stretch.

Also, for the record, I don't hate Pitts as the selection at 6. I just think we as fans need to have our eyes open if it does happen. First RD TEs bust at a high rate and TEs in general take a couple seasons to take off. This pick wouldn't be instant lightning in a bottle.
I think the important thing is Pitts can lineup wide or in the slot....or as a tight end....nightmares for defenses.

Danny,
You have to consider how the game is played nowadays. Personnel on the field dictates everything. We don't have to line up big or with great run blocking TE's to run the ball. That's old style football. where best big man wins. The game has evolved to where the bigger faster man doesn't always win. So when you say having Gesicki and Pitts both on the field at once and neither can block you aren't considering that when those two are on the field not many teams are ever going to be in heavy packages with lots of LB's and DL. If defenses do try that, we will absolutely toast them in the passing game because no LB is going to cover either one of these guys. Defenses will go to nickel and dime packages as a base defense when they are on the field, and Pitts and Gesicki will have no problem blocking Safeties, Corners, and smaller coverage LB's.

It's quite the opposite of what you were suggesting. We will run all over them and by the way, not only will most defenses have smaller packages on the field personnel wise, they will also be a lot more likely to be calls that are more pass conscious rather than looking to stop the run.

If our coaches are worth their salt they will exploit this fact and we should have an unbelievable year on offense if we add Pitts and a special RB.
I know you're a coach Mike so I'll take your word for it. I do agree that both of them can catch and are hard to cover. as far as the RB part, I've been hoping for a special one for a long time. Wanted to draft one last year so I hope we don't pass on it again.

"Fit his style of play more" Whaatt? Have you watched Pitts tape? Tua is one of the best at throwing quick breaking routes that you'll see and Kyle Pitts excels at his ability to make those moves. Tua also thrives off RPO and throwing while rolling out, again Pitts is the perfect security blanket for that.
I have seen all of the relevant tape on Pitts. To me, his biggest strength is similar to what Waller showcased vs Rowe; the ability to consistently win contested 1v1 match ups. Just doesn’t seem like the type of player who would be Tua’s first target based on last season. Obviously, Pitts can do other things and Tua will eventually learn to be more aggressive. However, the context was referring to the original post where TEs take time to adjust to the NFL to put up significant numbers. I think there is a decent chance Pitts would have an unspectacular season as a rookie in Miami. Whereas guys like Smith, Waddle or Chase would fit right in as #1 targets. Again this is referring to next season only.

Put him at flex and split iso primary and you will get production from the get go.

but don’t make him have to split/find snaps with a negative return incumbent player (lose gesicki)

I don’t understand the obsession with needing to be great right out of the gate of a rookie season. If the player becomes a great player, I could live with a little bit of a struggle during his rookie year. Results as a rookie does not a career make. Good or bad.
Yeah but with where this team is and drafting as high as we are, we really need someone who can help out next year.

Why the heck draft a project at #6 overall?

I think the important thing is Pitts can lineup wide or in the slot....or as a tight end....nightmares for defenses.
And remember, one of the best aspects to this versatility is that while we have the same players on the field we can line Gesicki and Pitts up all over the place, shift them, motion them, and a whole bunch of our personnel looks the same but we can run pretty much everything we want to do out of it. So defenses will likely be stuck playing their small group most if not all game. "Tired they will be. Score much we will do". ~ Yoda

Last edited:
I have seen all of the relevant tape on Pitts. To me, his biggest strength is similar to what Waller showcased vs Rowe; the ability to consistently win contested 1v1 match ups. Just doesn’t seem like the type of player who would be Tua’s first target based on last season. Obviously, Pitts can do other things and Tua will eventually learn to be more aggressive. However, the context was referring to the original post where TEs take time to adjust to the NFL to put up significant numbers. I think there is a decent chance Pitts would have an unspectacular season as a rookie in Miami. Whereas guys like Smith, Waddle or Chase would fit right in as #1 targets. Again this is referring to next season only.
Obviously any offensive weapons will benefit Tua, but lkke it or not the player that matches Tua’s skillset best is Devonta Smith. Quick release from LOS, great patterns, smooth in and out of his breaks great hands and great YAC.

You can move gesicki wherever the f you want until he starts winning consistently on iso you are just pissing in the wind.

it’s called theory of diminishing returns and it’s in full effect in Miami relative to snap count played and offensive limitations as a player

Seriously. Until fairly recent rookies were always expected to take time to get up to NFL speed. However, that doesnt seem to be the case as much these days. These kids are coming out of college and lighting it up.
Maybe that's due to College football more NFL type ball.

Seriously. Until fairly recent rookies were always expected to take time to get up to NFL speed. However, that doesnt seem to be the case as much these days. These kids are coming out of college and lighting it up.
Maybe that's due to College football more NFL type ball.
Or vice versa

You can move gesicki wherever the f you want until he starts winning consistently on iso you are just pissing in the wind.

it’s called theory of diminishing returns and it’s in full effect in Miami relative to snap count played and offensive limitations as a player
In fairness he’s a very good RZ target and has excellent hands, but he struggles to get separation, can’t block and takes too long to get up to speed. Putting him in the slot is a good way to create mismatches but we do that only because we don’t have a legit slot. I’m good with trading him if we go Pitts.

Back
Top Bottom