The cautionary reality of rookie Tight Ends | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The cautionary reality of rookie Tight Ends

Forget that, Pitts needs to play like a HOF player starting with his first pre season game.........in al reality, people here will see what they want to see. Some people would turn on him right away....other people will say he needs time while at the same time they say Tua sucks and 9 games proves that.........people see what they want to see.

P.S. This might not matter anyway cause he might not be there at 6

VERY TRUE....

To the OP I say that yeah he may start slow like those guys ...or...or... be like former Eagle/Dolphin/Packer KEITH JACKSON who started with:

81 REC / 869 yrds / 6 TDs

s-l400.jpg

...but yeah no seriously Jackson was not the norm and sometimes they take a little while to get moving...hopefully Pitts is an exception...if he's gone I am ready to roll with Chase...

VERY TRUE....

To the OP I say that yeah he may start slow like those guys ...or...or... be like former Eagle/Dolphin/Packer KEITH JACKSON who started with:

81 REC / 869 yrds / 6 TDs

s-l400.jpg

...but yeah no seriously Jackson was not the norm and sometimes they take a little while to get moving...hopefully Pitts is an exception...if he's gone I am ready to roll with Chase...
Keith Jackson rookie yr stats?
Pitts will have solid numbers and will also depends on which team he’s on. What Pitts will do for our offense is make defenses pick their poison.
Wr- Parker, Fuller, Wilson ( if healthy legit)
TE- Pitts, gesicki
That’s pretty damn good. Plus if we add rb j. Williams for example. Our offense will be well on its way becoming formidable.

Jeremy Shockey: 74 catches, 894 yards, 2 TD's as a rookie

Noah Fant: 40 catches, 562 yards, 3 TD's as a rookie

O.J. Howard: 26 catches, 432 yards, 6 TD's as a rookie

those are some more examples of first-round TE's and their respective production. only Shockey was a full-time starter among this group

I don’t understand the obsession with needing to be great right out of the gate of a rookie season. If the player becomes a great player, I could live with a little bit of a struggle during his rookie year. Results as a rookie does not a career make. Good or bad.
Tell this to the Tua haters please.

IMO Pitts or Chase will fall to us and believe Grier thinks the same or he wouldn’t have made those trades. I’m good with any elite offensive weapon that makes Tua better.
Shouldnt be too hard to improve on the WR set we have ATM.
Fuller certainly helps, but one or two more would be great.

I feel like this topic needs to be addressed as we very well could draft Kyle Pitts. Who is my preference at #6 in the draft.

Tight ends are not like running backs and wide recivers when it comes to production early on in their carrers.

First example is Veron Davis, who has very similar measurables comming out of college. Davis's start to his career......

Year 1: 20 Rec. 265 Yards. 3 TDs.
Year 2: 52 Rec. 509 Yards. 4 TDs

Second let's look at another Pro who has been compared to Pitts...... Darren Waller.

Year 1: 2 Rec. 18 Yards. 0 TDs
Year 2: 10 Rec. 85 Yards. 2 TDs.
Year 3: 6 Rec. 75 Yards. 0 TDs

Third lets look at Travis Kelcie.

Year 1: 0 Rec. 0 Yards 0 TDs.... only played in 1 game.

One more for s**** and giggles. Jason Witten.

Year 1: 35 Rec. 347 Yards. 1 TD

I'm bringing up this rather alarming metaphoric bucket of cold water, to warn everyone that Pitts may take a year or two to really become the player alot of us think he will be. Its not nessesarly a bad thing, but the Pitts hype train is starting to gain so much momentum that im worried some of our fanbase doesn't realize this very normal aspect about drafting a tight end.

If we take Pitts, we need to be realistic with our expectations early on.
I liked your post but I still take him at 6 and an RB at 18. Then another WR with our first 2nd rounder followed by a DE. Gronk had 10 Tds in his first year with approximately 500 yards. Then in his second almost tripled that with 1300 something yards and 17 tds. It can be done at that position.
No I'm not comparing him to one of the greatest to do it, but, it can be done right away at the position is all

Last edited:
Jeremy Shockey: 74 catches, 894 yards, 2 TD's as a rookie

Noah Fant: 40 catches, 562 yards, 3 TD's as a rookie

O.J. Howard: 26 catches, 432 yards, 6 TD's as a rookie

those are some more examples of first-round TE's and their respective production. only Shockey was a full-time starter among this group

Yep! I full expect Pitts to be in that range.
The general idea becomes his strengh is drawing coverage/assignment in such a way that it opens up things for others.

I get him as a pick. But i hope the FO doesn't go into the season with the mindset that Parker, Williams, Fuller, Grant, Albert will play a full season. I hope they come out of this draft with at least 2 recieving options.

I think what Pitts might be able to do as a rookie will depend on several things. Targets being one of them. Lets say we get Pitts and our offense is god at getting more 1st downs than they have in the past 2 years. Well, that'd mean more chances for more targets. He can't catch the ball while our defense is on the field. If we can have a balanced offense that constantly moves the football then Pitts would get more chances of course. I'd expect him to be a big part as to why we're getting more first downs than in the past.

Keith Jackson rookie yr stats?
Pitts will have solid numbers and will also depends on which team he’s on. What Pitts will do for our offense is make defenses pick their poison.
Wr- Parker, Fuller, Wilson ( if healthy legit)
TE- Pitts, gesicki
That’s pretty damn good. Plus if we add rb j. Williams for example. Our offense will be well on its way becoming formidable.

Yep! Rookie Year...he never got that high in catches again though...the best he had with us was 59 rec/673 yrds/7 TDs in '94...we ended up trading him to the Packers and selected Andrew Greene with the pick...fantastic! :lol:

I think what Pitts might be able to do as a rookie will depend on several things. Targets being one of them. Lets say we get Pitts and our offense is god at getting more 1st downs than they have in the past 2 years. Well, that'd mean more chances for more targets. He can't catch the ball while our defense is on the field. If we can have a balanced offense that constantly moves the football then Pitts would get more chances of course. I'd expect him to be a big part as to why we're getting more first downs than in the past.

I am hoping this year we get a good young back...of course the guys last year worked hard but....:rolleyes:

That's true.

I'm in favor of Pitts @6, but I have no delusions that he will come in and be dominant day 1.

It's more likely that he will not see more than around 65% of snaps at absolute best. I'm basing that, primarily, on R/P ratio, and packages where he isn't likely to be on the field (short yd, etc).

I would, however, expect him to have his share of targets when out there.

Back
Top Bottom