The Coming Great QB Competition, Draft and Free Agency Haul of 2020 | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Coming Great QB Competition, Draft and Free Agency Haul of 2020

What if we play Rosen enough this year to figure out we may have something in him. A team drafting around 6 or 7 wants Tua really bad and drops a crap load of picks to us to move up. We build our team through the draft/FA and continue building for many years with the picks we acquired for Tua. If next year Rosen hasn't showed enough with a much better team, we still have capitol (extra draft picks) to go after another QB. I don't think drafting a QB next year is our only option in play here. If we think Rosen is our QB of the future and we turned the first pick into a bucket load of picks, this would be huge!!!!

That’s what I am hoping for.

I’m not sure how excited I am about adding ‘high cost’ FA looking to cash in in MIA, it just hardly ever works out well.

The ability to add young quality players from the draft in numbers, that’s a whole different story.

The difference this year will be....We won’t have to pay franchise QB money for several years...or left tackle money for several years...so we can this year(and this year only)....spend big to bring in young glue pieces to build our draft around.

By the time we have to pay a franchise QB... those deals will be gone from 2020.

This is a brilliant plan and we will see a team assembled in 2020....and heavily complemented in 2021 by another loaded draft for the Dolphins.

After that...we will let most of the free agents go...not sign big name free agents in the first phase of free agency where it affects your compensatory picks....but this year is different!

The risk is known and legitimate. But you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. The math will show that as well.

You can’t be afraid to fail. You can’t be afraid to take risks. Every draft pick is a risk. Every FA signing is a risk - even for guys that have already proven they can be great players in the NFL.

All of these teams competing for super bowls and playoff spots have all busted on highly drafted QB’s. Most of em many times in the same time frame Miami has avoided taking the risk. They’re better off than Miami.

Nothing is guarantee other than you won’t find one if you’re not trying. If busting on a QB sets your franchise back a decade - it’s because you have a bad front office.
Hitting on the QB also hides other draft mistakes and roster deficiencies. The elite QB makes players around him better in a number of ways. At end of day it’s all about the QB.
2nd most important position doesn’t even take the field, it’s HC.

The way I see it is we are developing Rosen this year so that he can be our starter next season. Let Tua (if he ends up here) sit and develop for a year and adjust to life in the NFL. The hope would be Rosen actually plays very well for us and we are in a situation like the Chiefs after they took Maholmes and Smith had an MVP type season. Imagine the haul we would get for Rosen in this scenerio!!
You'll get bigger haul from trading the draft pick than trading Rosen. Also I believe Rosen will be better than Alex Smith and Tua won't be as good as Mahomes.

I wouldnt be surprised if Miami has the No 1 pick....and he stays at school.
But if he declares, and Rosen plays well, it wouldnt bother me if we traded down, got more picks and use that on DE/LT/G. And I really like Juedy from Bama.
I guess we are in a win win spot .

That’s what I am hoping for.
You do realize plenty of QB's are one hit wonders right? Look if Rosen manages to throw 25 td's with this roster i'd MAYBE be okay with trading , I wouldn't like it at all but if Rosen falters in 2020 We need to immediately sell those extra picks to move back up to number 1 and take Lawerence or whomever ends up on top and even thats a gamble because there's no guarantee the 1st pick is going to be up for sale.

Regardless i'd say you need to have a QB picked in the first 3 rounds in 2020 as a backup QB with upside in case something happens to rosen.. No more Matt Moore crap but a young fresh hungry QB ready to pounce ala Gardener Mineshew..

Hitting on the QB also hides other draft mistakes and roster deficiencies. The elite QB makes players around him better in a number of ways. At end of day it’s all about the QB.
2nd most important position doesn’t even take the field, it’s HC.

You never hear (except in draft geek twitter/forums) about how ordinary NE's drafts are, Brady casts a wide shadow.

The difference this year will be....We won’t have to pay franchise QB money for several years...or left tackle money for several years...so we can this year(and this year only)....spend big to bring in young glue pieces to build our draft around.

By the time we have to pay a franchise QB... those deals will be gone from 2020.

This is a brilliant plan and we will see a team assembled in 2020....and heavily complemented in 2021 by another loaded draft for the Dolphins.

After that...we will let most of the free agents go...not sign big name free agents in the first phase of free agency where it affects your compensatory picks....but this year is different!
Spot on!!!

Ok roll with Rosen who has 11 TDs and 16 Ints in his career and is currently backing up a 38 year old. Thats a Ryan Leaf trajectory. Not the kid who put up the most efficient QB season in the history of college football last year and has 12 TD to 0 int currently. I cant even believe I am arguing against these moronic ideas anyway.
You do realize that Payton Manning had 28 ints. in his first season. Right?

You do realize he was also throwing for 300 yds, and scoring quite a bit while he was throwing those picks, right.

I not a JR bashers, as my posts most certainly bear out, but that type of comparison is ludicrous. Manning was as close as it gets to a sure thing in every way from intelligence to character to talent.

It's like ppl who say they don't just want a "good" QB, they want the next Marino. There is no next Marino.

"Kevin McHale, Larry Bird and Robert Parish are not walking through that door"

You do realize he was also throwing for 300 yds, and scoring quite a bit while he was throwing those picks, right.

I not a JR bashers, as my posts most certainly bear out, but that type of comparison is ludicrous. Manning was as close as it gets to a sure thing in every way from intelligence to character to talent.

It's like ppl who say they don't just want a "good" QB, they want the next Marino. There is no next Marino.

"Kevin McHale, Larry Bird and Robert Parish are not walking through that door"

While agree with you, you're the one who presented an isolated stat. PK had a reasonable answer.
I see no "coming" QB competition. Either Rosen impresses lo enough there will be no competition, or there will will be a R1 qB and no competition.

While agree with you, you're the one who presented an isolated stat. PK had a reasonable answer.
I see no "coming" QB competition. Either Rosen impresses lo enough there will be no competition, or there will will be a R1 qB and no competition.
what isolated stat are you referring to? I wasn't the poster PK was originally responding to.

I only chimed in because I've seen the statement about Peyton throwing a lot of picks as a rookie, presented without the complete context.

I'm not even a huge Manning fan, but he was a transcendental QB, at least in the regular season. Post season is another story, as he did his share of failing under the brightest lights.

what isolated stat are you referring to? I wasn't the poster PK was originally responding to.

I only chimed in because I've seen the statement about Peyton throwing a lot of picks as a rookie, presented without the complete context.

I'm not even a huge Manning fan, but he was a transcendental QB, at least in the regular season. Post season is another story, as he did his share of failing under the brightest lights.

My bad. Clicked on wrong "REPLY"

Do you realize Manning started out throwing 3 TDs and 11 ints his first 4 games and 23 TDs and 17 ints the last 12 his rookie season?

Meanwhile Rosen had 10 TDs and 11 ints the first 9 games he played and 1 TD and 5 ints his last 7 games he has played in.

I think Steve Young struggling for more than 1 year in TB is a better comparison to what Rosen might develop into with better coaching and offensive assets than Peyton.

Back
Top Bottom