The Coming Great QB Competition, Draft and Free Agency Haul of 2020 | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Coming Great QB Competition, Draft and Free Agency Haul of 2020

He didn't say that. He said "has a better chance". That's where many of you are blurring the line between reality and wish imo. Too many "we ARE drafting Tua", "Miami IS targeting Tua", "They HAVE wanted Tua since the championship game"....etc.

This is't I Dream of Genie. Your wish is not their command. What you just read was a level headed post about a persons opinion stated as such. Not an opinion stated as fact and then backed up with "makes the most sense so it must be fact".

Some people need to do themselves a favor and look at the last 10 drafts and do the math on the "sure things" drafted in the first round. The numbers aren't in the favor of ever arguing that someone is a guarantee. "Generational talent" or not, it hasn't mattered.

Most folks are so bombarded with opinion masquerading as fact it just dulls the senses.

That's a fact! In my opinion!

BNF

Ok roll with Rosen who has 11 TDs and 16 Ints in his career and is currently backing up a 38 year old. Thats a Ryan Leaf trajectory. Not the kid who put up the most efficient QB season in the history of college football last year and has 12 TD to 0 int currently. I cant even believe I am arguing against these moronic ideas anyway.
I don't want to butt in, but I don't think that is what he said. I take what others are saying essentially, is let's NOT limit ourselves with only 2 games played. And they go further to imply it would be BEST for the franchise if Rosen in fact is a franchise type of QB. Not that they think he is, or he is going to be.

He didn't say that. He said "has a better chance". That's where many of you are blurring the line between reality and wish imo. Too many "we ARE drafting Tua", "Miami IS targeting Tua", "They HAVE wanted Tua since the championship game"....etc.

This is't I Dream of Genie. Your wish is not their command. What you just read was a level headed post about a persons opinion stated as such. Not an opinion stated as fact and then backed up with "makes the most sense so it must be fact".

Some people need to do themselves a favor and look at the last 10 drafts and do the math on the "sure things" drafted in the first round. The numbers aren't in the favor of ever arguing that someone is a guarantee. "Generational talent" or not, it hasn't mattered.
Exactly correct.

I hear ppl saying things like "the best prospect" since Luck, or "Tua's a cant miss QB".

Guess what, there are no sure things, and there is more than 1 reason for that.

Most QBs drafted at the top of rd1 go to horrible teams, and are expected to carry the burden of others incompetence. ie, they are in an impossible situation to begin with, and many can't take the pressure, let the $ go to their head, or just flat out can't play at the NFL level.

I'm not against taking a QB #1 overall, and while the QB is the most important position on the field, he still needs a competant team, and coaches/front office to succeed.

Exactly correct.

I hear ppl saying things like "the best prospect" since Luck, or "Tua's a cant miss QB".

Guess what, there are no sure things, and there is more than 1 reason for that.

Most QBs drafted at the top of rd1 go to horrible teams, and are expected to carry the burden of others incompetence. ie, they are in an impossible situation to begin with, and many can't take the pressure, let the $ go to their head, or just flat out can't play at the NFL level.

I'm not against taking a QB #1 overall, and while the QB is the most important position on the field, he still needs a competant team, and coaches/front office to succeed.
Sometimes like they say, be careful what you wish for. Everyone wants the 1st pick, until they actually have it. I wouldn't care if JJ in his prime was choosing for us. I would be a little scared he/we would screw it up.

The one thing that scares the living crap out of me with Tua is his Dad. I know the Samoan-American culture has a reputation as being conservation and strict, but his Dad seems to be on the Uber scale of that. Of course I could be wrong, and I prob am, but from the outside it looks to be a very strict stifling type of situation for Tua.

I can also see it being a very positive one, that Tua simply wants to do the best for his family and he feels his father truly does know best. Tua may see it as positive that his Dad and family has given up so much for him. But it does concern me.

He’s done nothing even remotely to hit the qb draft top pick pause button at this point. But yeah he needs to get reps with the 1s in game prep and starts on Sunday the last 12 weeks.

I feel like it’s already decided however. The actions are hard to ignore

Very true, but Miami needs to check every area, you never know when a player is much better then you thought (Brady, Russell), or is a player that became much better with the next team (Brees, Plunkett).

Also, I know you won't, but for someone that might think I'm comparing Rosen to Brady, Russell, Brees or even Plunkett...I'm not.

We are in a very important point in this team's regrowth into respectability, they should not leave anything to chance it they have indeed already made up their minds.

This is exactly why they need to take a nice long look at Rosen now, because if he happens to greatly impress the staff, Miami does not really need to take a QB high, but instead use all those picks to start fixing all the holes on the team right now.

Rosen doesn't need to 'greatly' empress the staff. He needs to be good enough to let coaches know they can win with him. How good is that? No idea

Sometimes like they say, be careful what you wish for. Everyone wants the 1st pick, until they actually have it. I wouldn't care if JJ in his prime was choosing for us. I would be a little scared he/we would screw it up.

The one thing that scares the living crap out of me with Tua is his Dad. I know the Samoan-American culture has a reputation as being conservation and strict, but his Dad seems to be on the Uber scale of that. Of course I could be wrong, and I prob am, but from the outside it looks to be a very strict stifling type of situation for Tua.

I can also see it being a very positive one, that Tua simply wants to do the best for his family and he feels his father truly does know best. Tua may see it as positive that his Dad and family has given up so much for him. But it does concern me.

Ya know, I don't like to poke around in family "stuff" and culture etc., but
I'm glad you made the point re big daddy because (right or wrong) it threw
a big caution flag for me.

I get the feeling there's some "stuff" there that needs to be thoroughly checked out.

Rosen doesn't need to 'greatly' empress the staff. He needs to be good enough to let coaches know they can win with him. How good is that? No idea
My personal view is if he shows that he continues or I guess starts to make the right pre-snap reads and tones down his gun slinging ways that will go a long way as to how this staff views his future prospects to start in Miami.

I don't think this staff is looking for a QB that carries a team. I think they are looking for a smart QB, one that doesn't hurt the team with turnovers. I think they are going to build a D 1st type of team. That's how I've always viewed their decision to hire Flo.

Ok roll with Rosen who has 11 TDs and 16 Ints in his career and is currently backing up a 38 year old. Thats a Ryan Leaf trajectory. Not the kid who put up the most efficient QB season in the history of college football last year and has 12 TD to 0 int currently. I cant even believe I am arguing against these moronic ideas anyway.

If you're arguing you're doing so with yourself bc I'm not doing any such thing. I'm just pointing to what i see as a dangerous way to look at things. Tua may get drafted and turn in to Peyton manning and i hope he's a dolphin if that happens. Dismantling a team on purpose for one specific "hope" of a player is a whole other charge.

Tua may be the 2nd coming, i just don't see how you or anyone else can state factually that he is, and that he is without a doubt who we are doing all this for. Especially when you have to use one guys college stats on the best team probably in history, playing against scrub teams.... vs a guy playing NFL D's on two horrendous teams.

You're arguing for crowning someone who has proven nothing in real NFL games but in another thread you're saying it's not smart to give someone praise who hasn't proven anything yet.

Imagine that. Baker got crowned a pro bowler in the preseason and now look at them. Granted he has no dline to cover up that 225 pound frame.

If you're arguing you're doing so with yourself bc I'm not doing any such thing. I'm just pointing to what i see as a dangerous way to look at things. Tua may get drafted and turn in to Peyton manning and i hope he's a dolphin if that happens. Dismantling a team on purpose for one specific "hope" of a player is a whole other charge.

Tua may be the 2nd coming, i just don't see how you or anyone else can state factually that he is, and that he is without a doubt who we are doing all this for. Especially when you have to use one guys college stats on the best team probably in history, playing against scrub teams.... vs a guy playing NFL D's on two horrendous teams.

Well no one can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that anyone is gonna succeed but I think the odds are much higher with the best QB PROSPECT to come out quite some time than Rosen who hasnt shown anything. He played on such a horrendous team that Murray has come out and given that team hope after two games. Rosen was traded and now a backup.

It also quite moronic to even say that Tua could become Ryan Leaf. Someone that developed drug addiction and was jailed. I think the odds are way higher that hes the second coming than him becoming a convict. Im playing the odds here. Odds are against Rosen at this point.

Albert, I agree with your point about expensive free agents coming here to cash in . I really don't want a team of high priced free agents. These guys like Sitton look so good on paper when you pencil him in at LG but what did we get out of Sitton, one game? We simply have to make better choices.

I think there are going to be some disappointed fans come FA. We will spend what is needed to keep us in check with the league mnimum until we get our QB and our drafted core. We will keep rolling this cpa space forward until it is time to resign our OWN DRAFTED players.

This is a chance to reset our philosophies across the board. You do NOT start spending $$$$$ on FAs until you have your QB.

That is how you stay in mediocrity. You do NOT waste resources until you get your foundation built.

You can fill gaps in one offseason if you find your QB.

Job #1 Gentlemen: FIND THE QB.

This is why Rosen isn't starting.... They are giving him additional time to learn the playbook and master the offense. Because when they take his wrapper, he has less than one season to prove HE is the guy. They are trying to give him a chance to succeed as THEY deem a success. This is not about feeding him to the wolves

This is about giving him a viable chance to succeed as a play caller. Can he show mastery of the offense and handling the team. That doesn't take winning to prove it true. It takes him executing as they deem successful. Until he starts, he is on an extended training camp. They are trying to buy him time to learn them before his official audition starts. It will be soon. And don't judge on Ws, Ls, INTs and TDs alone. This is about cerebral performance and leadership. Is he THE GUY?

The Patriots are built on THREE PEOPLE: 1) Bob Kraft, 2) BB and 3) T Brady. Everyone else is interchangeable and replaceable.

You don't extend a 40+ QB unless he is the most important player to your winning.

Forget everything else. Clear the cap, build draft resources and FIND THE QB.

Until you find him, keep rolling resources forward to maximize his window when you DO find him.

This is BUILDING.

He reported from actual statements from the organization, or from his opinion of the situation?

He heard it at the draft in Dallas.

You don't have to believe it. Maybe Miami is blowing up the roster for a LT to help the new flavor of the month in Josh Rosen.

Well no one can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that anyone is gonna succeed but I think the odds are much higher with the best QB PROSPECT to come out quite some time than Rosen who hasnt shown anything. He played on such a horrendous team that Murray has come out and given that team hope after two games. Rosen was traded and now a backup.

It also quite moronic to even say that Tua could become Ryan Leaf. Someone that developed drug addiction and was jailed. I think the odds are way higher that hes the second coming than him becoming a convict. Im playing the odds here. Odds are against Rosen at this point.
I'd say Mahomes is the best QB prospect to come out in some time, look at where he was drafted and how he was developed. We drafted our last franchise QB 27th overall. Tom Brady won his first Super Bowl going 16/27 for 145 yds. How many QB's in the past 40 years drafted 1st overall have won Super Bowls? 4 out of 21.

I personally think it's ridiculous to anoint Tua as our franchise saviour at this point as we have a young possible franchise QB on our roster that hasn't even been given a chance yet. We also have another 15 or so holes to fill in the starting lineup.

Back
Top Bottom