The confidential details in Fitzpatrick’s Dolphins contract and potential consequences | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The confidential details in Fitzpatrick’s Dolphins contract and potential consequences

I'd pull him for Rosen, but it would have nothing to do with his contract or money.

I think our coaching staff already knows what they have RIGHT NOW in Rosen. He isn’t ready to lead a bad team. Putting him on the field is the same as putting him in a position to fail. We already watched what happened once this season. Not sure why fans want to see the kids career completely destroyed to find out the answer to a question that everyone already knows.

I'd pull him for Rosen, but it would have nothing to do with his contract or money.
I'd like to see flo give him the final 4 games. Unfortunately pulling Ryan now doesn't make sense as Flo is able to eval more with him over rosen.

If Flores doesn't think Rosen is ready he isn't going to give him that chance again unless he proves himself in practice, especially if Fitzpatrick is playing well, he regresses anything is possible.

You do have to wonder which of the QB's coming out in 2020 stands a chance at beating Fitzpatrick in training camp next year. Not many....

As hard as it was this year to give a rookie QB a shot it will be even harder next year, Flores wants to win, his overall record and how he is perceived by his peers playing as big a part in his decision making.

You think Flores understands like Dolphin fans understand the art of losing, how could he coming from New England.

How long has it been since New England had a top pick 15 years, makes you wonder just how much Flores cares what pick we get.

Last edited:
I'd imagine the last 2-4 games are penciled in for Rosen to start again.
Remember, they get to see this kid everyday in the building and on the field.
Remember this coaching staff have been around Tom Brady, Jimmy G, The kid in Indy etc.
I'm going to trust they have a decent idea of what a QB needs to look like both on and off the field.
I'm going to trust that they have a decent idea of what they NEED that QB to look like in their system.

If that's the idea, then we traded a 2 for a back-up which sucks. Maybe swinging away was worth the possibility of a homerun but it's looking like a miss. And it's a bad miss.

We true fans try to sell ourselves on such moves. Many thought the move was smart. How many second round picks were rated top 10 out of college and how many seconds pan out? I get it. But if they truly are THAT great at evaluating QBs, tape shouldve been enough. They should've had the foresight to realize they were taking the same QB they saw in Arizona and putting him in a similar situation. Now, that might be unfair to the coaching staff because maybe they had zero input on the trade, that it was all front office.

You make a plethora of sense but I've seen athletes be bumbs in practice only to be beasts come game day. And I've seen gym champions be game chumps.

I have a ton of respect for Fitz. It's no wonder team after team trust him. And I want to win. I'm not a tank wanter. But I'd rather give Rosen the experience regardless of what he looks like in practice.

It's a moot point. You cant justify sitting what he showed on Sunday. Can't justify it in the lockerroom. Can't justify it for the fans.

If that's the idea, then we traded a 2 for a back-up which sucks. Maybe swinging away was worth the possibility of a homerun but it's looking like a miss. And it's a bad miss.

We true fans try to sell ourselves on such moves. Many thought the move was smart. How many second round picks were rated top 10 out of college and how many seconds pan out? I get it. But if they truly are THAT great at evaluating QBs, tape shouldve been enough. They should've had the foresight to realize they were taking the same QB they saw in Arizona and putting him in a similar situation. Now, that might be unfair to the coaching staff because maybe they had zero input on the trade, that it was all front office.

You make a plethora of sense but I've seen athletes be bumbs in practice only to be beasts come game day. And I've seen gym champions be game chumps.

I have a ton of respect for Fitz. It's no wonder team after team trust him. And I want to win. I'm not a tank wanter. But I'd rather give Rosen the experience regardless of what he looks like in practice.

It's a moot point. You cant justify sitting what he showed on Sunday. Can't justify it in the lockerroom. Can't justify it for the fans.

We're a team that doesn't and haven't had a serious talent at QB since Marino. IMO, it means there's no such thing as a "bad miss" when it comes to trying to find that QB.
I'd rather have bad misses trying to hit on the QB than miss on another DE,WR, TE etc. Let's say you hit on some other talent not named QB...great! So what? You're probably still not making the playoffs and other sustain success. Now lets say you hit on that QB? Need I say more?

In this league if you don't have a QB then you don't have anything!

It's one of the reason I can't understand why some are so upset. Yes! Wish we hit on Rosen..but how could you be upset at the attempt to kick the tires on a former Top 10 QB selection one year removed?

Some act like we have a "choice" and can be "cute" with our picks. We have NO CHOICE in anything until we hit on a QB.

Also, If you combine Rosen's playing time in Arizona and in Miami then how much more "on the field" do you need to see before you can conclude, as of now, the kid doesn't have it?
Further, If we stuck with Rosen would we have seen more of what Geliski, P.Williams, Parker etc can do? Not to mention the kid setting folks up to get KILLED see Hurns.

Last edited:
We're a team that doesn't and haven't had a serious talent at QB since Marino. IMO, it means there's no such thing as a "bad miss" when it comes to trying to find that QB.
I'd rather have bad misses trying to hit on the QB than miss on another DE,WR, TE etc. Let's say you hit on some other talent not named QB...great! So what? You're probably still not making the playoffs and other sustain success. Now lets say you hit on that QB? Need I say more?

In this league if you don't have a QB then you don't have anything!

It's one of the reason I can't understand why some are so upset. Yes! Wish we hit on Rosen..but how could you be upset at the attempt to kick the tires on a former Top 10 QB selection one year removed?

Some act like we have a "choice" and can be "cute" with our picks. We have NO CHOICE in anything until we hit on a QB.

Also, If you combine Rosen's playing time in Arizona and in Miami then how much more "on the field" do you need to see before you can conclude, as of now, the kid doesn't have it?
Further, If we stuck with Rosen would we have seen more of what Geliski, P.Williams, Parker etc can do? Not to mention the kid setting folks up to get KILLED see Hurns.

Man, you make a great point of not being able to truly see someone like Preston and what Preston can do because it's quite obvious he and Fitz had a connection.

You're also right about if you're gonna miss, miss trying to get your QB.

But I don't agree of so what if we hit on another position. Hitting on ANY position minus kickers is a huge deal even bigger on this roster. Hitting on a DE would've been a huge deal. Getting to the QB is a huge deal. Hitting on a gamebraking WR that can make a lesser QB look better is a huge deal. BTW I have no idea who was there at 2 to select so...

I think it was a reeeeally bad move because why not take a fresh, not know what could be QB at 2 even if said QB is not rated that high rather than trade for a QB they've already seen and the view was not impressive?

A ton of us if not all of saw this situation coming based on Fitz's track record for having crazy 5 td games here and there. And now we are in QB purgatory because we have a young back-up that, as it stands, is not a credible back-up. And we have a credible back-up that's only future on this team should be to mentor, starting.

Miami Dolphins. Miami Dolphins. Miami Dolphins are #1,

As much as I want to see if Rosen has anything we can use for the future, having Fitzpatrick has been invaluable for this team. Forget what he has or hasn't done on the field, the guy is a leader. Many players on a young, 0 and 7 team will give up. Our guys are fighting, and they seem to be having fun, including Fitz. The guy seems to always be smiling. He is leading this young group of guys, so whether he is on the field or holding a clipboard, he is making an impact. Might as well pay him for that.
Plus he has the best beard on the team which I’m sure is the subject of a lot of jokes and ribbing. It’s not enough down there - who needs all that extra insulation?

I think our coaching staff already knows what they have RIGHT NOW in Rosen. He isn’t ready to lead a bad team. Putting him on the field is the same as putting him in a position to fail. We already watched what happened once this season. Not sure why fans want to see the kids career completely destroyed to find out the answer to a question that everyone already knows.

It just goes back to the famous “ see what we have” philosophy. We don’t see Josh in practice and many of us wouldn’t know how he was really doing. The point is fans haven’t seen enough of Josh to “know what we have” so it’s a mystery. unfortunately for fans the staff does “know what they have” already and it’s not good enough to put out there in NFL games. He needs to show improvement in practice first.

Gotta give Fitz some props. He’s a pretty decent quarterback.

Some might say that quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick - bless his heart - could cost the Dolphins a chance at the first overall draft pick because of his penchant for occasional bursts of excellence. He also stands to cost them financially, too, though it’s nothing the team cannot afford.

Unless he’s yanked from the lineup, Fitzpatrick likely will cost the Dolphins a couple million dollars more than what he would have cost them had Josh Rosen won the starting quarterback job.

According to a copy of his contract obtained by The Miami Herald, Fitzpatrick has several incentives that, if reached, could make him the NFL’s most expensive backup quarterback next season.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article236890668.html#storylink=cpy
Convenient that nothing specific is mentioned. All players have bonuses in their contracts. That's how the Patriots can afford to keep Brady all these years. I promise you Fitz will not meet any of these incentives. He's not even putting up the yardage numbers he did last year in Tampa where he actually set NFL records

Convenient that nothing specific is mentioned. All players have bonuses in their contracts. That's how the Patriots can afford to keep Brady all these years. I promise you Fitz will not meet any of these incentives. He's not even putting up the yardage numbers he did last year in Tampa where he actually set NFL records

Click on the actual link, Jackson mentions the details...

With $100M++ in salary cap space, the only consequences come when you dont spend it.

Back
Top Bottom