‘The crazy thing’: Even on one leg, Cam Wake refused to give up on play | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

‘The crazy thing’: Even on one leg, Cam Wake refused to give up on play

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Two days before the play that would end Dolphins defensive end Cam Wake’s season, he stood at his locker, addressing the media on the state of the team and the important game coming up, when I asked him about his penchant for not just sacks, but strip-sacks. Trying to get inside his mind, I specifically wanted to know at what point of a play does the goal become not just sacking the quarterback, but separating him from the ball.

“I’m thinking strip-sack right now,” Wake said. “That’s just the way it is.”
Everybody chuckled.
Turns out he wasn’t joking as much as we thought.
Did you watch the play in which Wake tore his Achilles’ against the Patriots? Really watch it? If you did, you saw a few seconds of footage both painful and inspiring.
Players go down with torn Achilles’ often. That’s the point. They tear their Achilles’, they go down.
Not only did Wake not give up, but he tossed one blocker aside and was ready to take on another. Tom Brady, for his sake, unloaded the pass or he may have become the first quarterback in NFL history to be sacked by a one-legged man.

“He was trying to finish the play,” defensive tackle Earl Mitchell said. “That was the crazy thing about it all.”

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...-one-leg-cam-wake-refused-to-give-up-on-play/

I'm not convinced his career is over here. He will come back and restructure. No one is going to pay him a ton. Why ship off for one or two more years? I bet he is back next year.

I love Cam. I wish him the best. He didn't scream or anything. Just looked like he knew his season was over.

I'm not convinced his career is over here. He will come back and restructure. No one is going to pay him a ton. Why ship off for one or two more years? I bet he is back next year.

Assuming the surgery goes okay. I don't see why not! But, its obvious this team needs a jolt at the position and others. Specifically, LB and secondary...Stuff like this really highlights the failure by this organization on Dion Jordan.

Cam Wake deserves a tip of the hat. He had one of the greatest singular skills you need, which is turning that corner and closing on the qb. Critics want to point out he wasn't the best at setting the edge or funneling runners inside. But that's beside the point. Rushing the passer was his game and it's one of the toughest things to find, and he had it.

Beyond that, this is one of the highest character guys....ever associated with the Dolphins. He didn't ingest anything bad for him. I don't think he even drank alcohol at all. He ate all the right things. He kept himself fit. He was about working hard. He was a team guy.

It's a pity he didn't play in a playoff game. Too bad the team was never built up around him.

I get concerned about an Achilles injury and whether he will be the same as far as burst, explosion, closing speed etc, especially at his advanced age. If anyone can do it, Cam Wake can.

at his age when stuff like this sets in they just usually continue to advance in frequency until the player hangs em up

Maybe he would not have been hurt so badly had he not continued his pursuit of Brady?
I'm asking.

Wonder if he cuts the salary in half if he'll be back. Looks like vernon is walking so what about bringing wake back and switching him to right end? I know he spent his career on the left but by switching he can use his right non injuried leg to push off instead of his injuried left he uses from left end?

I'm so glad he was on the field the entire year as he recovered from that nagging hamstring injury. Those first 4 games were so critical. I'm glad we didn't hold anything back to win for Joe.

Maybe he would not have been hurt so badly had he not continued his pursuit of Brady?
I'm asking.
Probably wouldn't have made a difference - the Achilles usually snaps clear through in an instant; partial tears usually don't occur (unless in older adults). He was basically trying to finish the play on a completely dead leg.

Back
Top Bottom