The Curious Case of Ryan Tannehill is quickly becoming less curious & more respected. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Curious Case of Ryan Tannehill is quickly becoming less curious & more respected.

Kdawg954

My f*ck ups be the perfect mistakes
Club Member
Reaction score
From the beginning, San Diego came into this game with the mindset that "Jay Ajayi was not going to beat us". They jam packed that box to stop the run and sent waves of pressure towards Ryan Tannehill that entire first half.

But once Ryan Tannehill made that throw to Kenny Stills in the back of the endzone, he put the Chargers on notice that he was going to pick em apart if they left him single coverage. San Diego came out that second half and backed off, mainly because Ryan Tannehill was threatening down the field and connecting at a high percent, and Jay Ajayi started to gash them. San Diego decided to roll the dice and stick with their first half plan and force Ryan Tannehill to beat them . . . . and he did just that.

It was a great game from Ryan, pinpoint throws with pressure in his face, often taking shots right when throwing the football . . . it did not matter. He was a BEAST today.

But more importantly, being one of Tannehill's more outspoken critics over the past few years . . . the mindset is what impressed me the most. Teams have shown him no respect over the years and Tannehill often "settles" and teams know that tendency and play defense in a 10 yard box banking on Ryan folding under immense pressure, not moving as well as he should, or just passing up anything long for a short, safe option.

Certainly a healthy offensive line is pivotal . . . but he is becoming more sure of himself. He is making better movements in the pocket and he continues to be arguably the toughest SOB behind center in the NFL. He is one gutsy azz QB. It has become LOL worthy when somebody questions his deep ball accuracy.

I don't just like what I am seeing, I LOVE it and if we can see this type of QB play on a more consistent basis from him . . . we certainly could have a special talent behind center for our Miami Dolphins.

Props to you Ryan, keep up the great play and leading this team to some great wins . . . us Dolfans are enjoying the ride.

He totally regained his confidence. He looked deflated in the 1-4 start. The offense has a swagger to it now. Tannehill has been showing a fire.

He totally regained his confidence. He looked deflated in the 1-4 start. The offense has a swagger to it now. Tannehill has been showing a fire.

All I can say is that he is probably one of the toughest QB's out there and he has heart.

I thought about a lot of things that I could say here, and I wrote up a storm and then deleted it, because I just want to say this:

Coaching matters.

Those throws to Parker, Stills, Landry and Williams were all elite type throws. As well as the 18 yard scramble. He has arrived

The Romo treatment has worked. Give him a good running game and don't put it all on him, and he is gonna deliver some key, backbreaking plays throughout the game and minimize the mistakes. I'm a little surprised how well he has played, and I thought last week might be him settling down again, but this week was a truly awesome performance. This was a franchise QB type game.

The one thing that's not answered, and still may not be answered this year because with the slow start he may not get a chance. When he has gotten his team in position for the playoffs, will he deliver? Can he put up not just a hot streak, but a season?

All I can say is that he is probably one of the toughest QB's out there and he has heart.

He does have heart and I wish the refs respected him enough to call PF's more often. He has to get a neck chop for us to pick up a PF flag, but his whole career he gets tossed after getting rid of the ball and no flag. If he were Brady, we'd have added 500 yard in PF calls and at least 3 wins.

4 straight games without a turnover from Ryan. Matching Brady since he came back from suspension in that category.

If you listened to the post game press conference, Tannehill had a statement where he said basically, "the chargers had a d they didn't have a play for, but they only rushed three so he knew he'd have time and might be able to scramble and find someone deep when they cut their route". That was the play he ran for 18 yards. I was so happy to hear that from him, not just think robotically... recognize quickly he would have to improv and the mindset to look for a deep shot (even if it didnt end up being one). Was very nice to hear imo and thought I'd share.

I thought about a lot of things that I could say here, and I wrote up a storm and then deleted it, because I just want to say this:

Coaching matters.

This, rumblings are Gase has had to beat it into Tanny's head that INTs will happen, and he'd rather have Tanny throw an INT taking a shot deep than be safe all the time

he continues to be arguably the toughest SOB behind center in the NFL. He is one gutsy azz QB.

Freakin truth. Anyone that disputes this just has not watched him play.The throws he made today in the face of charging defenders are NFL films worthy, classic gridiron music and all.

San Diego came out that second half and backed off, mainly because Ryan Tannehill was threatening down the field and connecting at a high percent

Seriously dude. That was his only damn long ball he attempted the whole half. What are you even talking about? Tanne played OK today, just like in the last 4 games, why are acting like he is turning a corner? Would you be saying this if that jets defender took that short pass for a pick 6 last week when we were on the goal line? Damn people, stop trying to make Tanne something he's not... great.

That being said I'm happy he is playing efficient. He was getting rocked today and he took it and played through it. Can't knock him for that. I'm glad he's managing these games well lately

Last edited by a moderator:
Tannehill looked like dog **** the first five games, and for the next 3 made enough plays, and no turnovers to compliment the running game. Today he looked great, he was a true difference maker with his deep throws under pressure and that third down scramble to keep a drive alive. Definite progress being made under Gase, hope he can keep it up.

Back
Top Bottom