The Curious Case of Ryan Tannehill is quickly becoming less curious & more respected. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Curious Case of Ryan Tannehill is quickly becoming less curious & more respected.

It will be forgotten due to yet another flag, but he threw an extra deep ball to parker in the 4th q that I really liked

Well that is just it . . . the flag on that play was BS and Tannehill once again improvised the pocket and threw it down the field to Devante. So when we talk what if's . . . you can't just circle the bad that could of happened without factoring in the good that was negated.

Well that is just it . . . the flag on that play was BS and Tannehill once again improvised the pocket and threw it down the field to Devante. So when we talk what if's . . . you can't just circle the bad that could of happened without factoring in the good that was negated.

That was possibly the best game tannehill has ever played.

If any posters are bitching about him - well, that says all you need to know about those trolls

That was possibly the best game tannehill has ever played.

If any posters are bitching about him - well, that says all you need to know about those trolls

I think it was, I said that in chat also.

On the road in what was pretty much a playoff elimination game, Tannehill came up Aces. There is no reason to knock the performance, it was a grand one.

Don't get me wrong . . . most of the first half of that game was filled with 2 teams trying to force the running game down each other's throat with 2 of the best young running backs in the AFC . . . and the Fins took this conservative mindset into it. But once Tannehill took that shot, got rocked, and still connected on that bomb to Stills . . . . the light flicked on. He finally realized that he can beat this team by attacking them down the field and we saw him do just that in the 2nd half. He completed all 4 throws that were at least 20 yards in the air and was 7 for 11 while under pressure for 142 yards and a 155.8 QB rating

If what you saw today was considered "only game management" . . . I don't know what to tell you. This thread title is exactly what it is . . . even if you straight up don't like Tannehill . . . damn it if you can't at least respect his play the last 4 weeks. Sure he has been a "game manager" the last 3 games . . . . and that is fine, but he took this game over today, on the road against a defense that was in his face all game and stopped the rushing attack for the most part. It was HIGHLY impressive. His improvised movement in the pocket is better right now than at any point of his career, outside of his rookie season, where he just hadn't learned to think as much as he does now.

I don't play "what if's" with my football team because I don't watch 60 minutes of the other 30 football teams playing. So the Jets pick didn't happen and I'm sure many of the "great" QBs in this league have those moments throughout the year. It's football, you get dropped and popped up deflections that go for pick sixes and you get deflected balls that are caught for big gains. Is what it is.

But I finally see a QB that is improving in the phases of the game that I have always been critical on him about, and it is refreshing. Certainly he could have a setback or two as the season progresses, but the light in the Gase offense is coming on and it has been a fun watch.

I hear ya man... I cant argue this. I haven't been impressed with him but these last 4 weeks have been really nice to see. Yes, he did some really good things today and I am happy! I am eerily cautious though still.

The OFFENSE looked like dog **** the first five games, and for the next 3 made enough plays, and no turnovers to compliment the running game. Today THEY looked great, he was a true difference maker with his deep throws under pressure and that third down scramble to keep a drive alive. Definite progress being made under Gase, hope he can keep it up.

I fixed that for ya...

It took time to....

1 get healthy
2 learn a new system
3 get comfortable enough within that system to utilize some of the intricacies.
4 get some help in the running game

I have always (mostly) viewed Tannehill as a "95 rated" typed of QB. I saw how he played in 2014 so we know he is capable of more. That season he had a QB rating of 92.8 but still needed to get better and fix a couple of issues. He's not done by any stretch of the imagination but he has definitely fixed the deep ball issue. He can refine his skills moving forward now that he has an actual NFL quality head coach. Still a work in progress on 3rd down and 4th quarter but THE OFFENSE is heading in the right direction.

92.8 rating under that other regime is capable of 100 rating with this one.

From the beginning, San Diego came into this game with the mindset that "Jay Ajayi was not going to beat us". They jam packed that box to stop the run and sent waves of pressure towards Ryan Tannehill that entire first half.

But once Ryan Tannehill made that throw to Kenny Stills in the back of the endzone, he put the Chargers on notice that he was going to pick em apart if they left him single coverage. San Diego came out that second half and backed off, mainly because Ryan Tannehill was threatening down the field and connecting at a high percent, and Jay Ajayi started to gash them. San Diego decided to roll the dice and stick with their first half plan and force Ryan Tannehill to beat them . . . . and he did just that.

It was a great game from Ryan, pinpoint throws with pressure in his face, often taking shots right when throwing the football . . . it did not matter. He was a BEAST today.

But more importantly, being one of Tannehill's more outspoken critics over the past few years . . . the mindset is what impressed me the most. Teams have shown him no respect over the years and Tannehill often "settles" and teams know that tendency and play defense in a 10 yard box banking on Ryan folding under immense pressure, not moving as well as he should, or just passing up anything long for a short, safe option.

Certainly a healthy offensive line is pivotal . . . but he is becoming more sure of himself. He is making better movements in the pocket and he continues to be arguably the toughest SOB behind center in the NFL. He is one gutsy azz QB. It has become LOL worthy when somebody questions his deep ball accuracy.

I don't just like what I am seeing, I LOVE it and if we can see this type of QB play on a more consistent basis from him . . . we certainly could have a special talent behind center for our Miami Dolphins.

Props to you Ryan, keep up the great play and leading this team to some great wins . . . us Dolfans are enjoying the ride.

Great post!

I'd like to read where you heard this ..not doubting you just genuinely interested in reading about this. I love the idea here

a lot of it is constant talk on Sirius, and Gase mentioned something similar in camp. Doesn't want his QBs to think just feel.

A few things....not only does coaching matter, but a solid O-Line matters. I believe he is now 10-2 or 11-2 when Pouncey, Albert, and James are on the O-Line. The other thing that should be remembered is how many TDs he had dropped earlier in the year. He is doing more than managing games (which is an absolutely ignorant statement made by h8ters), he is making game winning and game changing passes at critical times during the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few things....not only does coaching matter, but a solid O-Line matters. I believe he is now 10-2 or 11-2 when Pouncey, Albert, and James are on the O-Line. The other thing that should be remembered is how many TDs he had dropped earlier in the year. He is doing more than managing games (which is an absolutely ignorant statement made by h8ters), he is making game winning and game changing passes at critical times during the game.

My concern with the non-call on the deep throw to Parker late in the game was that if the Dolphins lost that game, all we'd hear about is how Tannehill couldn't get it done.

I would not say thill17 is long term answer or not . He have not been tested under fire lately in 4qts. Good game by defense and offense. I would say this. We have lot good young talent on this team. that is step up every week, good coach get most out players.

He is an above average QB who is the long term answer. He is better than more than half the starting QB's in this league. You give him some time to throw the ball and he delivers (unless the WR/TE/RB drops it which happens way to much).

Seriously dude. That was his only damn long ball he attempted the whole half. What are you even talking about? Tanne played OK today, just like in the last 4 games, why are acting like he is turning a corner? Would you be saying this if that jets defender took that short pass for a pick 6 last week when we were on the goal line? Damn people, stop trying to make Tanne something he's not... great.

That being said I'm happy he is playing efficient. He was getting rocked today and he took it and played through it. Can't knock him for that. I'm glad he's managing these games well lately

I'm sure if it was Rodgers or even Dak, you'd be praising their greatness and making some bull**** post about how you wish RT would do something like that. Pathetic, dude.

Nobody can deny that Tannehill played great yesterday. Most of his biggest critics can admit that. If somebody tries to tell me he was average or just ok yesterday they aren't worth talking to

Nobody can deny that Tannehill played great yesterday. Most of his biggest critics can admit that. If somebody tries to tell me he was average or just ok yesterday they aren't worth talking to

Or their fragile ego is so emotionally invested in seeing Tannehill gone that so is any remaining vestiges of objectivity.

Back
Top Bottom