The definitive game | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The definitive game

Sportsguy11

Couldn't Lucas and Fiedler just do this?
Reaction score
The definetive game

Guys, I truly feel that this game will be a definetive factor in our season. This Broncos team is a very good one, and not to mention we play them up in Denver. I'm still not convinced we are going to the SuperBowl, but if we can beat the Broncos, it will show me a lot. Obviosuly injuries can change everything but winning this game will prove to me the Dolphins are finally ready to reach the SuperBowl. It will be extremly tough, but there's no doubt we can do it. I know not everyone will agree with me, but this is what I think.

It would be great to win, but since we beet the Pats last week I wouldn't consider this a must win. Winning in Dec vrs Oakland and New England will show us how good this team really is. The main thing i want from this season is to sweep our home games, and win at least 4 out of our 8 away games. 12 wins will win this division and probably be good enough for homefeild.

I wish people would stop using this reasoning almost every game we play.

Let's see here. We started out against the Lions, who suck, so everyone said, "Yeah, but it's just the Lions.

Then we played Colts. I heard the comments like, "Now they are playing a real team. Let's see how they do".

Then the jests. Again, we heard the talk of, "OK, you beat the Lions, and the Colts, Let's see how you do against the arch-rivals from the north."

We got our butts handed to us by the Chiefs, no doubt.

Now, we just beat the defending world champs. Was that game the measuring stick?

The point here is that in this day of parity in the NFL, a win is a win. Bottom line. You simply don't have time to wonder if you just beat a good team, thus making you a good team, or if you just beat an also-ran, thus witholding judgement on your over-all team stature.

I can just hear it now. If we do beat the Broncos, these same questions will be raised. Comments like" Yeah, but Rod Smith wasn't 100%", or "The Broncos are really not that great of a team. Let's see how they do against.............".

this is the game alright...............

DAJESUS: how does losing to a team that is in the afc and pegged as sure super bowl contenders help us? why is that not important?

we played one team so far with a legitimate offense and we were slaughtered. and that team [kc] didn't have the defense that denver has!!

that will hurt the teams confidence big time blowing it in denver.

besides, at the end of the season, if we are the division champs and denver is to, and home field advantage is at stake, then it goes to the team who beat the other team.

this is a huge game and one we need to win for a lot of reasons.

jay has to step up and win this game. they WILL stop ricky and they WILL score points.

we will see if we can really hang with big boys. it is a monster game sunday.

'we played one teram so far with a legitimate offense and we were slaughtered.'

Clayton, do you not consider the Colts, and the Pats as having "legitimate offenses"? They seem pretty good to me!

reply...............

SCOTGIF: as far as the colts, it was clear, and still is, that edgerrin james was not his old self. plus we have always matched up well with the colts so i didn't see it as much of a barrometer.

and no to new england. i have been one of the people that has said all along that the pats have been doing it with mirrors. they have become one dimentional. i do think that game would have been a little different with troy brown playing. but ther run game scares no one, there te was out, etc.......

we have to beat real playoff teams with all there players. that is the test because that is what we will get in the playoffs. the pretenders will be gone.

our goal is to not get slughtered in the 1st or second round like we always do. and to tdo that and advance, we will have to beat the broncos and chiefs and raiders of the world.

Clayton, what makes you think the Broncos are a playoff team, we're only 5 games into the season..who knows who the real teams are..I think usually around the 8-9 games is when the division leaders start taking shape..Denver is 4-1 now and could go 1-4 the next 5 games..Their O is no big deal...Their D has played good ball up to this point..Right now Oakland is the class of the west..I'd prefer to stake where we are base on playing Oak than the Bronco's...If we lose we lose, but if we win, doesn't mean we're a great team...not yet..there's some teams on our schedule I think are better test to see what we have than the Bronco's..I really think the Broncos will lose about 5-6 more games this year.

Re: this is the game alright...............

Originally posted by clayton83
DAJESUS: how does losing to a team that is in the afc and pegged as sure super bowl contenders help us? why is that not important?

I didn't say it isn't important, everygame is an important win. I am just saying I won't think any less of this team if they fall short on the road. The Pats are in a must win situation losing their last 2. The Charger are in a must win since they lost last week, and they would fall to last place in the tough west.

Clayton...James wasn't his old self!?!?! Nobody on our defense could stop the guy all day long (except on the goal line :evil:) and you're saying that game wasn't a barometer. Let's face the facts here, as far as strength of schedule goes, and wins against strong opponents, the Dolphins are #1 in the league in that category.

If you argue the Raiders I'm going to laugh as their opponents have a combined win total of 6! The only team that rivals us as far as wins against quality opposition is the team that we're facing this weekend as they've beaten both San Diego and San Fran to make them one of the teams to beat in the league.

No matter what anyone sais however, this is a barometer game as it will help to determine how well the 'Fins can play on the road against a quality opponent. Also, don't get me wrong here, if we lose this game I'm not going to panick, but if we get blown out then there may be something to worry about.

All barometers aside, this should be one heck of a game! :jumper:

we seem to get a "definative game" somewhere on these boards prioe to every game...guys, i understand your concern regarding a collapse. but this team really is good. that said, we cannot EXPECT to walk into investco and get a win. bill parcells and jimmy were both asked once which regular season games are must wins. they both replied, win 'em all at home and split your road games. thats how tough it is to win on the road. with 5 SB wins between them, i'll take their word for it

Personally, I think there is one thing we need to do to win this game: Good DL play. If they can stop the run and pressure Griese, he'll give us points. Those 4 guys on the line are our hope for winning this game......

Originally posted by BMarion31
Personally, I think there is one thing we need to do to win this game: Good DL play. If they can stop the run and pressure Griese, he'll give us points. Those 4 guys on the line are our hope for winning this game......
great take on Griese...i agree

We've only had one out of 5 road games so far thats why there's alot of doubt. If we win this game and they still doubt and make excuses about Denver, then Oakland etc let them keep doing it till we're 10-2.

Re: The definetive game

Originally posted by Sportsguy11
Guys, I truly feel that this game will be a definetive factor in our season. This Broncos team is a very good one, and not to mention we play them up in Denver. I'm still not convinced we are going to the SuperBowl, but if we can beat the Broncos, it will show me a lot. Obviosuly injuries can change everything but winning this game will prove to me the Dolphins are finally ready to reach the SuperBowl. It will be extremly tough, but there's no doubt we can do it. I know not everyone will agree with me, but this is what I think.

I totally agree...100%;)

Originally posted by Dajesus
It would be great to win, but since we beet the Pats last week I wouldn't consider this a must win. Winning in Dec vrs Oakland and New England will show us how good this team really is. The main thing i want from this season is to sweep our home games, and win at least 4 out of our 8 away games. 12 wins will win this division and probably be good enough for homefeild.

bro, the way the Playoffs are designed this year, 10-6 might not be enough for a playoff spot.....

Back
Top Bottom